Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-17-2020, 10:51 AM   #1801
Locke
ness Monster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
You're all missing the long con guys. Start the chain when you see a no-passenger car behind you, assume they're getting a coffee and maybe something small. Pay for theirs and immediately circle back and put in your real order of a massive amount of food hoping they are paying it forward.
Yes...but then you get a massive amount of Tim Hortons food...
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2020, 11:49 AM   #1802
Lubicon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
What kind of piece of trash person dumps their ash tray out in a parking lot? I thought we have moved way beyond that.
With our without butts? If it's just ash then not much different than tossing orange peels, apple cores etc. Which I would not do in a parking lot either for the optics of it.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 12:08 PM   #1803
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
With our without butts? If it's just ash then not much different than tossing orange peels, apple cores etc. Which I would not do in a parking lot either for the optics of it.
Butts all over the place. I wouldn't have seen ash. I didn't see the act take place, just a big scattering of butts everywhere.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 12:30 PM   #1804
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Moved past what? Smokers have always used the world as their ashtrays. I still see smokers discarding cigarettes out of their windows on the roads. We are just fortunate that there are a hell of a lot less smokers than there used to be. Easily the dumbest human habit ever.
I now see those empty vape canisters all over. That’s worse.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 01:49 PM   #1805
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
This is serious? I actually thought you were being sarcastic and were going to finish with "joking, it's nice to see kindness like that these days" or something. I do it sometimes, I never in a million years would have thought it would bother someone behind me or make them think I'm doing something awkward or wrong.
Same here. You accept it for the gesture it is. If you choose to stop the chain, no big deal. When I'm in the mood to 'keep the chain going', it's pretty simple. You pay forward about as much as you would have paid for whatever you were buy. Since I often hit the drive through by myself, for myself, a coffee and single breakfast sandwich will cost about $5-6. I either ask the person to pre-pay $5-6 or just round it up to $10 (depending on how close to payday it is) and go on with my day. Easy peasy.

Never thought that drive-thru pay-it-forwards could be so anxiety-inducing.
WhiteTiger is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2020, 01:53 PM   #1806
Locke
ness Monster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Same here. You accept it for the gesture it is. If you choose to stop the chain, no big deal. When I'm in the mood to 'keep the chain going', it's pretty simple. You pay forward about as much as you would have paid for whatever you were buy. Since I often hit the drive through by myself, for myself, a coffee and single breakfast sandwich will cost about $5-6. I either ask the person to pre-pay $5-6 or just round it up to $10 (depending on how close to payday it is) and go on with my day. Easy peasy.

Never thought that drive-thru pay-it-forwards could be so anxiety-inducing.
It would be nice if maybe when that happens you have the option of still paying for the food you ordered but have that cost go to a charity.

"Hey, your food was paid for by the guy in front of you!"

Cool. But I was more than prepared to pay for the food I ordered so I still want to, just donate it to charity.

Everybody wins and all anxiety is gone. Unless they donate that cash to WE.
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2020, 01:54 PM   #1807
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This is serious? I actually thought you were being sarcastic and were going to finish with "joking, it's nice to see kindness like that these days" or something. I do it sometimes, I never in a million years would have thought it would bother someone behind me or make them think I'm doing something awkward or wrong.

Worst case, person could just tip the staff whatever their bill would have been and move on.

Though, this is getting peak Canadiana with sweating over how to properly pay it forward.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 02:18 PM   #1808
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Now that I know it freaks people out imma start paying it forward just to be a dick.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2020, 02:42 PM   #1809
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had someone buy my order once before @ Tims drive thru. I was just getting a coffee and felt obligated to carry it on, so I ended up paying $14 for the guy behind me's order. Which really sucked because I was a broke-azz uni student at the time.

Its nice to say "you should just pay $X instead of the whole order", but no one thinks of that at the time, and as Canadians, we are too kind/wimpy to want to be seen as the "greedy" one to not continue it on.

Its such a stupid gesture. People buying each others food instead of helping out those who are actually in need.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 02:50 PM   #1810
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Now that I know it freaks people out imma start paying it forward just to be a dick.
Only if you can do it at a drive through where once you leave you can still see their reaction from the road or parking lot.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 02:59 PM   #1811
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I get where ggg is coming from and I find it weird anyone could get uppity over his post. It’s quite common and very Canadian to feel some apprehension about people extending that type of unnecessary kindness.

On the other hand, I have never and will never “pay it forward”. I’m good to just accept my free coffee and drive off.

But I did buy some drug riddled homeless guys some McDonald’s last month at about 2am. They were loitering near the drive thru counting change. I was about to order so I asked them what they wanted and drove around and dropped it off for them.

Made me feel better than I ever would paying for some random soccer moms Timbits.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 10-17-2020 at 03:02 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2020, 03:27 PM   #1812
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
It would be nice if maybe when that happens you have the option of still paying for the food you ordered but have that cost go to a charity.

"Hey, your food was paid for by the guy in front of you!"

Cool. But I was more than prepared to pay for the food I ordered so I still want to, just donate it to charity.

Everybody wins and all anxiety is gone. Unless they donate that cash to WE.
The problem is that outside the first person and the last person of a chain nothing good has happened. We just wasted everyone’s time. The passers have not really done any charity. And since someone who doesn’t need it will eventually accept it (no one in a drive through NEEDS money) there is no better use for it if I pass on it.

So I have come to the conclusion to just take the money like a found $10 bill. I wouldn’t give a found $10 bill to the next person I found.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2020, 04:23 PM   #1813
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post

Its such a stupid gesture. People buying each others food instead of helping out those who are actually in need.
Seeing this a lot in this thread, still not sure why it has to be mutually exclusive
People read way too much into a simple friendly gesture

Last edited by btimbit; 10-17-2020 at 04:27 PM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2020, 05:18 PM   #1814
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Seeing this a lot in this thread, still not sure why it has to be mutually exclusive
People read way too much into a simple friendly gesture

No kidding, jesus.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 05:32 PM   #1815
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No kidding, jesus.

Peak Canadiana worrying about how to repay a kind gesture.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2020, 05:44 PM   #1816
#-3
First Line Centre

Exp:

McDonalds and all other places that serve fast food breakfast.

When I say I'll have sausage McMuffin, and they reply a sausage and egg McMuffin, and then I say no the one with out the egg, then they say OK, then they charge me for a sausage and egg McMuffin, then I reject it because their eggs suck, they reenter the order and forget to enter my coffee on the order. IT's on your freakin menu without the egg, this isn't even a special request, it just tastes better. Why are fast food breakfast places in the pocket of be egg, why do they insist on pushing their eggs on me. I just want a english muffin with a greasy beef patty and a slice of processed cheese that can be washed down by cheap cream filled coffee.

(McDonalds did it to me today, but Tims does it do me all the time too, I literally cannot be any more specific when ordering, short of telling them their eggs suck).
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2020, 05:58 PM   #1817
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Peak Canadiana worrying about how to repay a kind gesture.
Haha.

"That guy bought me a coffee. What a bastard!!"
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 06:13 PM   #1818
Locke
ness Monster

Exp:

Quote:
No kidding, jesus.
Jesus never kids.
Old 10-17-2020, 06:31 PM   #1819
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
McDonalds and all other places that serve fast food breakfast.

When I say I'll have sausage McMuffin, and they reply a sausage and egg McMuffin, and then I say no the one with out the egg, then they say OK, then they charge me for a sausage and egg McMuffin, then I reject it because their eggs suck, they reenter the order and forget to enter my coffee on the order. IT's on your freakin menu without the egg, this isn't even a special request, it just tastes better. Why are fast food breakfast places in the pocket of be egg, why do they insist on pushing their eggs on me. I just want a english muffin with a greasy beef patty and a slice of processed cheese that can be washed down by cheap cream filled coffee.

(McDonalds did it to me today, but Tims does it do me all the time too, I literally cannot be any more specific when ordering, short of telling them their eggs suck).
How do their eggs suck? They're literally just eggs that they crack onto a grill.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2020, 06:35 PM   #1820
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Haha.

"That guy bought me a coffee. What a bastard!!"
I think it’s my new all time favourite gear grinder. I would have never ever considered this, I can’t believe how many people agree. Very sorry haha.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote