Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2022, 08:06 PM   #5601
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubbs View Post
Anybody watch the Sandman show? I've watched 8 episodes so far and I'm really enjoying it.
Very much enjoying it! Love the adaptation, love the changes to streamline the first few comic arcs, love the casting. It's very very good.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 10:19 PM   #5602
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Wow episode five was hard to watch at points.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 09:15 PM   #5603
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I'm very confused about the Woodstock documentary. It was a no holds barred doc that exposed every poor decision and event that happened during the festival, but they suspiciously and obviously deliberately left out the four deaths.

There must have been some sort of deal in place or something to not speak of them?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 09:28 PM   #5604
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

If you're going to have a Woodstock festival and it's about peace and love and all that crap, why would you put that lineup together? Kid Rock, Limp Bizkit, Metallica, Korn............if it's just a regular run of the mill festival, go crazy. But for what Woodstock was apparently about that was a really strange lineup. Obviously the 99 concert was more about making money than what Woodstock was originally about, but it just seemed like a really weird group of bands to throw out there. Of course there was going to be problems with everything else added on top.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 09:39 PM   #5605
jayswin

Exp:

The Doc went into it. It seems that Michael set out to make it like a "woodstock" vibe but handed the band bookings over to John Scher, with Michael admittedly not even knowing a lot of the major artists booked.

And John basically said "we set out to get all the biggest bands in the world cause we were making the biggest festival in the world, and at the time that happen to be mostly heavy rock and nu metal bands".

So basically just coincidence that it was heavy rock and nu metal dominating at the time. If it was hip hop like later on in the 2000's I'm sure that's what would have dominated the festival.
Old 08-09-2022, 09:44 PM   #5606
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

The music landscape had changed a lot in 30 years. Who could they have booked in 99 that was about peace and love that could also sell tickets?

Also, the original Woodstock wasn’t really about peace and love either. As alluded to earlier in this thread, it was an unmitigated disaster with probably about as many ODs and rapes as Woodstock 99. Only afterwards was it incorrectly romanticized as the hallmark of hippie culture.

The real winner was Woodstock 94. The forgotten festival. No controversy and no one remembers it.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 09:45 PM   #5607
jayswin

Exp:

I just realized that there was a lot of major artist contribution to that documentary and was probably vital in the producers eyes to making it a good watch for viewers. Artists don't want the idea that people died at their performance being well known or rehashed, I bet.

Wouldn't surprise me if a stipulation from some or all of them was "don't talk about people dying at a show we performed at".

Last edited by jayswin; 08-09-2022 at 09:51 PM.
Old 08-09-2022, 09:48 PM   #5608
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
The music landscape had changed a lot in 30 years. Who could they have booked in 99 that was about peace and love that could also sell tickets?

Also, the original Woodstock wasn’t really about peace and love either. As alluded to earlier in this thread, it was an unmitigated disaster with probably about as many ODs and rapes as Woodstock 99. Only afterwards was it incorrectly romanticized as the hallmark of hippie culture.

The real winner was Woodstock 94. The forgotten festival. No controversy and no one remembers it.
That Green Day set was hilarious, with people throwing mud and jumping on stage. Especially the ending. Billy Joe "Hey everyone say shut the **** up and we'll stop playing, ready one two three" holds mic out "SHUT THE **** UP!!!!!!!!

"Okay, we're done, goodbye".

Old 08-10-2022, 08:24 AM   #5609
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Mason Alexander Park, who plays Desire in The Sandman, tweeted Neil Gaiman 2 years ago about the casting of Desire. I love seeing stuff like this. They were great in the role and looks to have a bigger part moving into Season 2.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1317428044634624001
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2022, 10:02 AM   #5610
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anybody up for some Frosted Flakes?
Old 08-17-2022, 01:02 PM   #5611
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I loved Addams Family Values and Christina Ricci as Wednesday, so will probably give this a watch:

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2022, 01:25 PM   #5612
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Christina Ricci is going to be in it, not sure who she's playing though.

Jeann Ortega is a good choice though, she's basically just a Aubrey Plaza / Wednesday Addams hybrid.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2022, 01:42 PM   #5613
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

That...looks awesome, and I've always been fond of the Addams Family. Looks like I've got a great new show to look forward to!
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 03:00 PM   #5614
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Netflix's The Sandman Nearly Doubles Streaming Numbers in Week 2

https://comicbook.com/dc/news/the-sa...top-10-numbers

Quote:
On Tuesday, the weekly Netflix Top 10 rankings were updated by the streaming service, revealing the streaming data for the biggest shows and movies on the platform from the previous week. From August 8th to August 14th, The Sandman was viewed for a whopping 127.5 million hours. The next closest title, Never Have I Ever Season 3, was viewed for 55 million hours.

From August 1st to August 7th, The Sandman was streamed for a total of 69.5 million hours, which is still impressive considering it was only available on the service for three of those days. As The Sandman's run on Netflix continues, it will be interesting to see if it can keep up with its own massive numbers.
Still no announcement for season 2. Not sure what they're waiting for.

Could be the reported $15 million per episode that season 1 cost.

Last edited by KTrain; 08-17-2022 at 03:03 PM.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 06:21 PM   #5615
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Guzman's Gomez looks a lot more like the original Addams' cartoons than John Astin or Raul Julia did.

The rumour was that Burton wanted Johnny Depp to play Gomez (shocking!), but Netflix balked because of Depp's legal issues at the time.
Old 08-17-2022, 06:42 PM   #5616
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I'm very confused about the Woodstock documentary. It was a no holds barred doc that exposed every poor decision and event that happened during the festival, but they suspiciously and obviously deliberately left out the four deaths.

There must have been some sort of deal in place or something to not speak of them?
I found this really odd too, probably legal reasons...Metallica closed the show Saturday night and a guy died in the pit. His mom sued the organizers.

Last edited by dino7c; 08-17-2022 at 06:44 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 08:22 PM   #5617
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guarantee the settlements for the deaths were locked in with NDA's
Old 08-18-2022, 03:26 PM   #5618
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I never really pay attention to the buzz in the lead up to a show I want to watch because I don't want to spoil it, but as an avid Sandman fan, I gather there was some brouhaha about the casting and specifically about a TON of black actors being cast to play characters that were white in the comics, for a variety of reasons including the usual neckbeard racism stuff.

As it turned out, they nailed like 90% of it... the only one I couldn't get on board with was Death. Desire, Gilbert, Cain and Abel, the Corinthian were all basically perfect and I still have two episodes left but Rose Walker, Hal and most of the residents seem to have done a great job at some very challenging characters to portray without seeming silly. Gwendolyn Christie was good as Lucifer.

There are some weird changes though... like why is Morpheus fighting Lucifer instead of Choronzon, who is right there? Morpheus beating Lucifer is a bit of a stretch, given his weakened state. Really minor issue but it wasn't in any way necessary so it's just... weird. Jury is still out on why they did Hector and Lyta the way they did.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 03:40 PM   #5619
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
So I never really pay attention to the buzz in the lead up to a show I want to watch because I don't want to spoil it, but as an avid Sandman fan, I gather there was some brouhaha about the casting and specifically about a TON of black actors being cast to play characters that were white in the comics, for a variety of reasons including the usual neckbeard racism stuff.

As it turned out, they nailed like 90% of it... the only one I couldn't get on board with was Death. Desire, Gilbert, Cain and Abel, the Corinthian were all basically perfect and I still have two episodes left but Rose Walker, Hal and most of the residents seem to have done a great job at some very challenging characters to portray without seeming silly. Gwendolyn Christie was good as Lucifer.

There are some weird changes though... like why is Morpheus fighting Lucifer instead of Choronzon, who is right there? Morpheus beating Lucifer is a bit of a stretch, given his weakened state. Really minor issue but it wasn't in any way necessary so it's just... weird. Jury is still out on why they did Hector and Lyta the way they did.
That one seemed like a weird change for me as well, particularly if they stick to some of the stories in S2 with the hell stuff. There won't be the animosity between dream and Choronzon.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 06:04 PM   #5620
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

We’re enjoying Blindspot.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote