Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2020, 12:28 PM   #4581
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
So on Dark, is it a show you need to binge? Of if you only watch once every several days can you still keep track of everything?
I don't think so as I'm not a binge watcher that blows through any show in days or even a week and I had no issues (I should clarify as there will be times when you are a little confused but things will come full circle in time). It may take a few episodes for you to get comfortable remembering names and such but I wouldn't worry about having to watch it daily to keep up.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2020, 12:42 PM   #4582
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Had some free time:

Down to Earth With Zac Efron:

- Giant swing and a miss. They took an intriguing idea and premise for a travel and sustainability docuseries and saddled with two of the dumbest, worst hosts on the face of the Earth. The most entertainment you'll get out of this is the attitudes and expressions of the experts that they talk to who are thoroughly dumbfounded as to why they're wasting their time with these two dudebro idiots.

The Business of Drugs:

- I'm only 3 episodes through this one so far but I'm really enjoying it. The principle host does an excellent job of humanizing the history and economic structure of various drug trades and the circumstances that inspire people to participate in the cultivation, creation and distribution of drugs.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 09:47 PM   #4583
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonmaster View Post
Old Guard was ok. Better than some of the other junk that has come out, but it still couldn't hold my attention into the second half. The action scenes started to fade. It sure felt like a setup or pilot movie for future 'episodes' and not a stand alone action movie. (Yes I'm aware of the source material)
I liked this a lot more than I thought I would. I'd definitely watch another entry in a series of it.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2020, 08:30 AM   #4584
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

New Jim Jefferies stand up was decent
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 07:42 PM   #4585
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
So on Dark, is it a show you need to binge? Of if you only watch once every several days can you still keep track of everything?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I don't think so as I'm not a binge watcher that blows through any show in days or even a week and I had no issues (I should clarify as there will be times when you are a little confused but things will come full circle in time). It may take a few episodes for you to get comfortable remembering names and such but I wouldn't worry about having to watch it daily to keep up.
I don't think you need to binge...in some ways, its better not to go over board as there's a lot of stuff that happens and its good to think a little about the story line.

its a show i don't think you should leave for too long either.. 1 or 2 episodes every 2-3 days seems reasonable. As EE said, there's a bit of a learning curve with names/characters, but the series is smart in helping that along with split screens.

you'll find a sweet spot once you start watching, but i would definitely encourage you watch and stick with it, as it really is a great show.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 08:38 PM   #4586
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

- Giant swing and a miss. They took an intriguing idea and premise for a travel and sustainability docuseries and saddled with two of the dumbest, worst hosts on the face of the Earth. The most entertainment you'll get out of this is the attitudes and expressions of the experts that they talk to who are thoroughly dumbfounded as to why they're wasting their time with these two dudebro idiots.
I haven't seen it yet, but saw this on Twitter yesterday and had a laugh, so it sounds like your review seems to be the general consensus (spoiler for size)
Spoiler!

Last edited by Sainters7; 07-16-2020 at 08:52 PM.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 06:24 AM   #4587
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
Who watched Snowpiercer? I thought it was okay. I found the cartoony blood to be distracting.

I really enjoyed Old Guard and hope it is parlayed into a trilogy like I have been reading there is the potential for.
Been a fan of the comics so I've been stoked to see the mostly positive reaction the film has been getting. Great casting, great action choreography. The second volume of the planned trilogy of comics stories just concluded this past Wednesday. Hope the movie is successful enough to see the subsequent adaptations.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 09:44 AM   #4588
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Had some free time:

The Business of Drugs:

- I'm only 3 episodes through this one so far but I'm really enjoying it. The principle host does an excellent job of humanizing the history and economic structure of various drug trades and the circumstances that inspire people to participate in the cultivation, creation and distribution of drugs.
The woman made me watch an episode last night. I laughed at it's absurdity the entire time. Good thing Zac Efron is handsome, because he is an idiot.
Wastedyouth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 09:46 AM   #4589
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
I haven't seen it yet, but saw this on Twitter yesterday and had a laugh, so it sounds like your review seems to be the general consensus (spoiler for size)
Spoiler!
This made me LOL.

The episode I watched, he referred to a centigenarian woman as "cool chick" and I lost it there, haha.
Wastedyouth is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2020, 10:26 AM   #4590
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
The woman made me watch an episode last night. I laughed at it's absurdity the entire time. Good thing Zac Efron is handsome, because he is an idiot.
And so is his friend.

The thing is, as I said before it was a giant 'swing and a miss.'

There was potential for this show, its an interesting idea but everyone screwed this up, from picking arguably two of the dumbest humans on the planet to host something they know absolutely nothing about to determining scenarios and circumstances that are at the ridiculous extremes.

"We're going to go and chill with these crazy hippies in their commune in the Jungle of Costa Rica."

Uh huh. Why? This is not a practical solution.

"We're going to eat this ethically sourced local cuisine at this Michelin Star Restaurant."

Uh huh. Why? Practically nobody can afford to eat there. This is not a practical solution.

Just...so dumb.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 07-19-2020, 07:24 PM   #4591
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dear White People is great. Such an easy watch.
Old 07-19-2020, 08:47 PM   #4592
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And so is his friend.

The thing is, as I said before it was a giant 'swing and a miss.'

There was potential for this show, its an interesting idea but everyone screwed this up, from picking arguably two of the dumbest humans on the planet to host something they know absolutely nothing about to determining scenarios and circumstances that are at the ridiculous extremes.

"We're going to go and chill with these crazy hippies in their commune in the Jungle of Costa Rica."

Uh huh. Why? This is not a practical solution.

"We're going to eat this ethically sourced local cuisine at this Michelin Star Restaurant."

Uh huh. Why? Practically nobody can afford to eat there. This is not a practical solution.

Just...so dumb.
I think that this review identified exactly what they set out to do, which they did.
Old 07-20-2020, 10:33 AM   #4593
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
I think that this review identified exactly what they set out to do, which they did.
All expenses paid Globe-Trotting Vacation?

Old 07-24-2020, 07:58 PM   #4594
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Just finished Da 5 Bloods. It’s a little melodramatic and too long but it’s entertaining.

Spoiler!
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 11:27 AM   #4595
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Love on the Spectrum is one of the sweetest shows that I've ever seen.

It was entertaining and incredibly refreshing compared to the drek that is normally reality television.
Old 07-25-2020, 12:01 PM   #4596
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Godless was a masterpiece western. Limited series. Jeff Daniels with a standout performance as the villain.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2020, 08:36 PM   #4597
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

Quote:

It was entertaining and incredibly refreshing compared to the drek that is normally reality television.

I'll second this. Turned it on out of total boredom, and ended up really enjoying it.

The Indian Matchmaker one was surprisingly enjoyable too.

I think I'm so tired of watching true crime dramas and American tough-guy nonsense (drek is the right word) that seeing some nice people for a change was truly refreshing.
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flylock shox For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2020, 07:22 AM   #4598
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought the Indian Matchmaker was a hoot! Really light hearted entertainment.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 08:55 AM   #4599
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

There was a British show a few years ago called The Undateables. Was really good. Mostly people on the spectrum navigating the dating world.

Michael was an entertaining lad.

topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2020, 10:52 AM   #4600
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I’ve added it to my list.

We need some sweetness in our lives these days.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote