Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2011, 09:07 AM   #1961
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE SCUD View Post
Is there a site where I can put in my travel days and it shows me the cheapest flights to anywhere? Pretty open on where to spend my 'long weekend' the 10th to the 15th...
I don't believe there is one where you can enter in exact dates, narrowing it down to the month is the most precision I've seen, at least as far as querying *everywhere*.

It's basically due to the fact that the number of possible date combinations for every destination is astronomical, which requires an extremely large amount of data.

It will be interesting to see what Google can do with their $700 million acquisition of ITA, which gives them access to an enormous amount of fare data. Hopefully they can build some interesting tools for the public.

Kayak has their Explore tool: http://www.kayak.com/explore/

and I have a YYC Deals Map: http://www.yycdeals.com/map

Both might be useful for providing clues as to where the good deals are. Try August, under a certain price, and then make a note of the destinations, and try those destinations on your dates.

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cmyden For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2011, 09:08 AM   #1962
THE SCUD
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyden View Post
I don't believe there is one where you can enter in exact dates, narrowing it down to the month is the most precision I've seen, at least as far as querying *everywhere*.

It's basically due to the fact that the number of possible date combinations for every destination is astronomical, which requires an extremely large amount of data.

It will be interesting to see what Google can do with their $700 million acquisition of ITA, which gives them access to an enormous amount of fare data. Hopefully they can build some interesting tools for the public.

Kayak has their Explore tool: http://www.kayak.com/explore/

and I have a YYC Deals Map: http://www.yycdeals.com/map

Both might be useful for providing clues as to where the good deals are. Try August, under a certain price, and then make a note of the destinations, and try those destinations on your dates.
Thank you!

I am thinking a package deal to vegas is likely my best bet for a quick 4 day trip on a budget. Where, generally, has the best deals on the fare + hotel bundles that you always hear about people scoring for stupid low prices?
THE SCUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:24 AM   #1963
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Thank you!

I am thinking a package deal to vegas is likely my best bet for a quick 4 day trip on a budget. Where, generally, has the best deals on the fare + hotel bundles that you always hear about people scoring for stupid low prices?
Just curious as to when these people were mentioning stupid low flight + hotel packages to Vegas? It wasn't Dec 2010 was it? That's the last time there's been anything *really* significant to Vegas, during that Expedia flub ($70 flight + hotel, nice!).

Most people end up paying around $500-600/person after taxes/fees for flight + hotel to Vegas from Calgary these days. Prices stay pretty consistent, since demand to Vegas is consistent as well.

But it's certainly possible to find cheaper packages, the bottom typically being around $450/person after tax. That's for a midweek package to Circus Circus though.

The further you get from the ideal 'Fri->Sun' Vegas weekend trip, the cheaper it will be, both in terms of hotels and flights.

In terms of Vegas packages, there are essentially two worlds of unique prices you need to check:

1) WestjetVacation packages and AirCanadaVacations packages. These are the packages every Canadian based travel site is trying to sell you. They're the same price on every site, so don't waste your time comparing between too many sites. Or you can just go directly to WestjetVacations.com and AirCanadaVacations.com to check pricing.

2) Expedia/Travelocity/Orbitz. These American owned sites are mashing together the latest flight prices from essentially the same airfare database with their latest hotel prices. The cheapest flight option is bundled first, so beware, as it's often the worst flight as well.

To compare fairly with the Westjet packages, pick a direct flight.

Of course you can also try flight + hotel separately. There's no guarantee that a package beats booking separately, a common myth.

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cmyden For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2011, 10:31 AM   #1964
THE SCUD
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyden View Post
Just curious as to when these people were mentioning stupid low flight + hotel packages to Vegas? It wasn't Dec 2010 was it? That's the last time there's been anything *really* significant to Vegas, during that Expedia flub ($70 flight + hotel, nice!).

Most people end up paying around $500-600/person after taxes/fees for flight + hotel to Vegas from Calgary these days. Prices stay pretty consistent, since demand to Vegas is consistent as well.

But it's certainly possible to find cheaper packages, the bottom typically being around $450/person after tax. That's for a midweek package to Circus Circus though.

The further you get from the ideal 'Fri->Sun' Vegas weekend trip, the cheaper it will be, both in terms of hotels and flights.

In terms of Vegas packages, there are essentially two worlds of unique prices you need to check:

1) WestjetVacation packages and AirCanadaVacations packages. These are the packages every Canadian based travel site is trying to sell you. They're the same price on every site, so don't waste your time comparing between too many sites. Or you can just go directly to WestjetVacations.com and AirCanadaVacations.com to check pricing.

2) Expedia/Travelocity/Orbitz. These American owned sites are mashing together the latest flight prices from essentially the same airfare database with their latest hotel prices. The cheapest flight option is bundled first, so beware, as it's often the worst flight as well.

To compare fairly with the Westjet packages, pick a direct flight.

Of course you can also try flight + hotel separately. There's no guarantee that a package beats booking separately, a common myth.
Good god you're a hero! Thank you! I really appreciate it.
The Following User Says Thank You to THE SCUD For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2011, 10:36 AM   #1965
Lego Man
Hero

Exp:

Cmyden, I just want to say Thank You!!! You have become quite the Albertan hero - so many people appreciate the work you do (especially my circle of family/friends)!

One of my favorite threads on CP!
Lego Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lego Man For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2011, 10:44 AM   #1966
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Good god you're a hero! Thank you! I really appreciate it.
Quote:
Cmyden, I just want to say Thank You!!! You have become quite the Albertan hero - so many people appreciate the work you do (especially my circle of family/friends)!

One of my favorite threads on CP!

Thanks guys! I'm glad it helps people out.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:12 PM   #1967
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertGQ View Post
Any deals to Maiu, Hawaii during reading week next year?
Looking to go for 7-10 days
thanks!
No one can help me on this one?
Or is the date too far out?
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:55 AM   #1968
THE SCUD
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Are there any sites where one can put in a desires "from" airport and travel dates, and see what's out there for the cheapest flights? Just looking to go to any major US site for the 10-15th of Aug...
Old 07-25-2011, 11:03 AM   #1969
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Are there any sites where one can put in a desires "from" airport and travel dates, and see what's out there for the cheapest flights? Just looking to go to any major US site for the 10-15th of Aug...
Didn't you already ask this in post #1975?

Quote:
Is there a site where I can put in my travel days and it shows me the cheapest flights to anywhere? Pretty open on where to spend my 'long weekend' the 10th to the 15th...
to which I replied in post #1976...

and you thanked the post, so I'm pretty sure you saw it.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:07 AM   #1970
THE SCUD
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Wow, I must have short-term mental ######ation memory loss - my bad, I completely forgot I posted the request for generic fare watching! I watch your site a tonne and keep an eye out for fairecompare emails - thanks again!
Old 07-25-2011, 11:13 AM   #1971
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Wow, I must have short-term mental ######ation memory loss - my bad, I completely forgot I posted the request for generic fare watching! I watch your site a tonne and keep an eye out for fairecompare emails - thanks again!
Stampede week can have that effect!

Old 07-26-2011, 09:19 AM   #1972
InSutterWeTrust
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Westjet is having a seat sale. Not sure how long it will last. Was able to save about $400 booking a flight for the wife and I to Nova Scotia.

http://www.westjet.com/guest/en/deal...le-ge-20110726

InSutterWeTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:27 AM   #1973
Zee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Any hotel recommendations in Orlando? My wife is set on the Waldorf, but very expensive, and is looks like they charge a fortune for everything.
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:27 AM   #1974
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
Any hotel recommendations in Orlando? My wife is set on the Waldorf, but very expensive, and is looks like they charge a fortune for everything.
What's the purpose of your trip?

If you are going to be spending most of your time at the theme parks, I'd stay on-property at one of the Disney owned resorts, or if you're going to Universal, stay at one of the Universal properties for the days you're going to the Universal parks.

Disney has a wide range of resorts -- from very high-end like the Grand Floridian, Boardwalk, or Animal Kingdom Lodge, down to motel type places like the All Stars and Pop Century.

They have free transportation around the Disney property, so you don't really need a rental car, but if you have one, parking is free at all the parks ($14 a day for parking if you're staying off-property, and you will need a car if you're off-property). If you're traveling outside of the peak travel times (summer and Christmas), you can usually get some good package deals for hotel/tickets/meals from Disney.

Universal has a few perks for staying at one of their on-property hotels too. One is the unlimited front-of-the-line pass, which you can buy separately for $25+ per person, per day. If you stay at one of their hotels, it's free.

On the other hand, if you're not going for the theme parks, I'd stay far away from them.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:15 PM   #1975
Zee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

We're doing theme parks, but I have a 3 days of conferences to attend as well so I need a car anyway. I'm getting Air/Car/Hotel for a touch over ~3k for 8 nights at the Waldorf, for 2 adults/2kids. It's about $500 more than the acceptable Disney resorts, and they have a free shuttle to the park.
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:45 PM   #1976
THE SCUD
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Is there any way to determine how booked up a particular flight is? I am debating waiting until 2-3 days before and booking - does that, usually, end up with a better price or am I setting myself up for disappointment?
Old 07-26-2011, 10:05 PM   #1977
Guest1

If it's an Air Canada flight you can select the flight like you were going to book it and then under the flight number it says "seat selection" and that will give you an idea which seats are available or how full the plane is.

Not sure if other carriers do the same thing.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:22 PM   #1978
saskflames69
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I plan on taking a trip to Mexico as soon as I graduate in 2014. Saskatoon to Cancun is $295 roundtrip after taxes. Do you think the price will go up dramatically in that time? If so then I guess I should start saving.
Connor Zary will win the Hart Trophy in 2027.
saskflames69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:41 PM   #1979
JackJack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puxlut View Post
If it's an Air Canada flight you can select the flight like you were going to book it and then under the flight number it says "seat selection" and that will give you an idea which seats are available or how full the plane is.

Not sure if other carriers do the same thing.
Actually the seat selection tool just shows what seats haven't yet been pre-sold/reserved. When booking a flight, passengers are giving the option of pre-reserving their preferred seat for a nominal fee. At the 24 hour check-in period, you can select your seat for free (most airlines allow this) save for the ones that have already been purchased.

It has nothing to do with how many seats on the flight are open. Imagine how easy it would be to determine an airlines competitiveness on any given flight/date/route. That's the type of information airlines strive to protect.
JackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:57 PM   #1980
Guest1

Cool... didn't know that! I always looked at it to see if I could get a seat without anyone beside me.