Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2011, 07:25 AM   #2061
billybob123
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Westjet has an "all destinations on sale" sale. Not great deals, but some good can be found in Sun destinations - $129 to $199 each way for Mexico and Caribbean destinations ($375ish-500) including Bahamas and Cancun. Good on several days including Saturdays (!) until Dec 15.
billybob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:06 AM   #2062
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Hi Cmyden, flights to Tokyo appear to have taken an astronomical turn for New Years lately . . . Do you expect flights to Tokyo / Asia to dip again for that time of year? Please tell me yes lol . . .
Believe me, I wish I could predict these sorts of things. I would have all sorts of blog posts predicting the direction of airfare, and hopefully be hailed as the Nostradamus of the skies.

It seems like they're at around $1500 roundtrip after taxes at the moment. What were they at before?

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:12 PM   #2063
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Calgary to New York City - $416 roundtrip after taxes - throughout schedule

United/Continental just made a large unadvertised price cut on their flights to New York City's Laguardia airport (LGA). It seems to have affected flights all the way up to August of 2012.

Anyone thinking of going to New York in the next year may want to have a look today. While I *have* seen the occasional cheaper flight from Calgary to NYC in the past, I've never seen a price drop like this that affected such a large date range.

Here's a search in June 2012 for example:

http://www.kayak.com/flights/#YYC-NY...06-20-flexible

screenshot:

That's about 45% cheaper than the next cheapest airline! Try any month between now and August 2012 and you're likely to see the dropped fares.

There's even a cheap one over New Years, and that never happens.

http://www.kayak.com/flights/#YYC-NY...01-04-flexible

No, I don't know how long it will be available. Unadvertised price cuts like this can come and go on a moment's notice. In my experience, unadvertised cuts on United/Continental don't usually stick around for more than 24-48 hours.

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
The Following User Says Thank You to cmyden For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2011, 01:58 PM   #2064
wpgflamesfan
3 Wolves Short of 2 Millionth Post

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyden View Post
Calgary to Munich for Oktoberfest? - $598 roundtrip after taxes

Air Transat just dropped the price of their September 14-22 flight from Calgary to Munich, Germany down to $598 roundtrip after taxes (about 56% cheaper than the next cheapest airline, British Airways).

Munich's world famous Oktoberfest (largest festival in the world) starts on September 17th. Good timing!

Anyone here been to Oktoberfest?

This is an unbelievable deal. Definitely phoning up my buddy in Munich to see if I can stay with him.
wpgflamesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 02:10 PM   #2065
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgflamesfan View Post
This is an unbelievable deal. Definitely phoning up my buddy in Munich to see if I can stay with him.
Damn, if you have that, you're golden!

Old 09-07-2011, 02:51 PM   #2066
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, thats an amazing deal, I cant believe I am considering booking 10 months in advance
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:03 PM   #2067
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any suggestions on how to get that NY deal. When I try to book through the United website it wont allow me to purchase as credit card holder has to be from the US it indicates, no way to change the country.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:07 PM   #2068
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post
Any suggestions on how to get that NY deal. When I try to book through the United website it wont allow me to purchase as credit card holder has to be from the US it indicates, no way to change the country.
Try the same dates, but go through United.ca (not .com)

Or just book through Orbitz/Expedia/CheapTickets/Travelocity etc.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:59 PM   #2069
flamesflames444
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Try the same dates, but go through United.ca (not .com)

Or just book through Orbitz/Expedia/CheapTickets/Travelocity etc.
I went through www.continental.com as I find it more user friendly than united.com and got 2 tickets to NYC for May long wknd - $403 CAD all in each!

Thanks for the tip!
flamesflames444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:37 PM   #2070
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Take the post above about New York, and substitute the cities of Philadelphia (PHL) and Charlotte (CLT) on United.

They've just dropped their prices to those cities down to about $340 roundtrip after taxes, across the board, throughout 2011 and 2012.

Could be useful for a Flames game road trip.

Old 09-09-2011, 02:08 PM   #2071
flamesrule_kipper34
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Take the post above about New York, and substitute the cities of Philadelphia (PHL) and Charlotte (CLT) on United.

They've just dropped their prices to those cities down to about $340 roundtrip after taxes, across the board, throughout 2011 and 2012.

Wait do we have any of those destinations or those areas for a Flames' road trip this season? I think all those teams are coming to Calgary unfortunately this season.
flamesrule_kipper34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:22 PM   #2072
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesrule_kipper34 View Post
Wait do we have any of those destinations or those areas for a Flames' road trip this season? I think all those teams are coming to Calgary unfortunately this season.
East coast away games this year...

Thu, 29 Dec 2011 Flames Islanders 5:00 PM SNET-CGY(HD)
Tue, 3 Jan 2012 Flames Capitals 5:00 PM SNET-W(HD)
Thu, 5 Jan 2012 Flames Bruins 5:00 PM SNET-W(HD) <-- Far to Boston from Philly though (6h)

Old 09-09-2011, 03:47 PM   #2073
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

All Inclusive Package: Mayan Rivieria - 7 nights - $532/person after taxes

Yes, that's $532/person after all taxes/fees for flight, hotel, food, drinks, everything.

And it's not to a dumpy resort, it's to a property that gets great reviews on TripAdvisor, the Catalonia Yucatan.

Here's how:

1. http://www.nolitours.com

2. Click on Leaving from 'Calgary' and Going to Mexico.

For the date, choose Leaving on September, week of....

12 to 18
19 to 25
26 to 2

For reference, the date that's furthest away with the cheap price seems to be leaving September 30.

screenshot:

^^ Price after verifying 2 adults, comes to $1075.36 after all taxes/fees.

To give an idea of how ridiculous that price is, the cheapest flights to Cancun in September are around $424 roundtrip after taxes (Westjet). So you're essentially paying $15/day per person for an awesome beach resort, unlimited food, and unlimited drinks. Crazy.

But you should also know that September is the statistical peak of hurricane season down south. Here's a chart from the NOAA showing the odds of a hurricane by month...

For this reason, September is one of the cheapest times of year to find all inclusive packages down south. However, this is still an insane price, even for September.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:10 PM   #2074
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Kalispell to Chicago - $200 roundtrip after taxes - any date

While I do watch for interesting fares out of Montana, the truth is that it's pretty rare to see one that's worth the drive. Allegiant Air has cheap flights to Vegas, but on the major airlines, prices from Montana aren't usually significantly better to warrant the 5 hour drive from Calgary. We're not like Toronto where we can hop across the border to Buffalo. Flying out of the U.S. for us is a significant investment of time.

But today, Delta dropped the price of their flights to Chicago by more than 70%, in one of those across the board drops affecting virtually every date in the calendar. Considering that flights from Calgary to Chicago tend to hover around $600ish or more, it could be worth the drive for some.

When one of these unadvertised across the board drops happens, I always like to check Christmas first, which is usually the last dates any airline ever wants to drop in price.

Example search around Christmas:

http://www.kayak.com/flights/#fca-CH...12-28-flexible

screenshot:

Another interesting one would be for the 2012 Lollapalooza festival held the first week of August in Chicago. Likely to be held August 3-5 in 2012.

Here's an example of that search:

Monday, September 12th 2011

"I'm a travel junkie who's
hooked on deals from YYC."
- Chris Myden

Recent Posts YYC Deals :: RSS feed of recent posts
• Kalispell to Chicago - $200 roundtrip after taxes - any date
• All Inclusive Package: Mayan Rivieria - 7 nights - $532/person after taxes
• Calgary to New York City - $416 roundtrip after taxes - throughout schedule
• Calgary to Munich for Oktoberfest? - $598 roundtrip after taxes
• Labour Day in Mexico? Calgary to Los Cabos, Mexico - $213 roundtrip after taxes

Other Great Sites
• Calgary Deals Blog

September
Kalispell to Chicago - $200 roundtrip after taxes - any date

While I do watch for interesting fares out of Montana, the truth is that it's pretty rare to see one that's worth the drive. Allegiant Air has cheap flights to Vegas, but on the major airlines, prices from Montana aren't usually significantly better to warrant the 5 hour drive from Calgary. We're not like Toronto where we can hop across the border to Buffalo. Flying out of the U.S. for us is a significant investment of time.

But today, Delta dropped the price of their flights to Chicago by more than 70%, in one of those across the board drops affecting virtually every date in the calendar. Considering that flights from Calgary to Chicago tend to hover around $600ish or more, it could be worth the drive for some.

When one of these unadvertised across the board drops happens, I always like to check Christmas first, which is usually the last dates any airline ever wants to drop in price.

Example search around Christmas:

http://www.kayak.com/flights/#fca-CH...12-28-flexible

screenshot:

Another interesting one would be for the 2012 Lollapalooza festival held the first week of August in Chicago. Likely to be held August 3-5 in 2012.

Here's an example of that search:

http://www.kayak.com/flights/#FCA-CH...08-05-flexible

The price from Calgary? $763.

Basically try any date you want for the upcoming year. How long will it last? As you know by now if you're following my posts, it's impossible to say.

Anyways, I realize road-tripping it to Montana for a flight is not for everyone, which is why I would only ever post when something really interesting catches my eye. It could be useful for a group of friends or family that wants to combine it with a road-trip to Montana, or Calgarians that have a vacation property down there.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:38 PM   #2075
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Looks like mexico prices are back up now
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:43 PM   #2076
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
Looks like mexico prices are back up now
Those didn't last too long, they were gone by the next day after the posting. Just a select number of dates and seats were available in September/October.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:50 PM   #2077
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Here is hoping Washington or Boston is on the list next...
Old 09-12-2011, 02:51 PM   #2078
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Here is hoping Washington or Boston is on the list next...
Would be nice, I don't believe I've ever seen a great deal to Boston from Calgary.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:56 PM   #2079
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Would be nice, I don't believe I've ever seen a great deal to Boston from Calgary.
I wouldnt never have guessed New York to be on the list, if that is on the list than IAD or BOS could be next. Or it could be marketing to gain a greater share of the proper NYC market away from AA.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:07 PM   #2080
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I wouldnt never have guessed New York to be on the list, if that is on the list than IAD or BOS could be next. Or it could be marketing to gain a greater share of the proper NYC market away from AA.
New York would actually be my first pick of any U.S. east coast city to show a large price drop. For starters there's 3 major airports (giving it a statistical edge), and Westjet's direct flights to New York are one of the few direct routes to the Eastern seaboard. It's usually Newark (EWR) that experiences drops the most, a lot more rare to see JFK or LGA drop from Calgary.

Philly and Charlotte see occasional fluctuations, always on United, from both Calgary and Edmonton.

Boston and Washington however, rarely move much at all.