Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2010, 08:54 PM   #161
Ramsayfarian
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
That's more than a little extreme, don't you think? Would you be ok with your entire livelihood being destroyed because of one client not being happy with their bill? I agree that his daughter should've been told about the costs upfront though, but maybe she was...

Not sure JAG took his hamster to the emergency hospital, but I know those places are about twice as expensive as a regular clinic. They don't care if you bring in a hamster or great dane, that exam fee is probably the same.

And nope, it's definitely not cheap, but there's a reason. What people tend not to understand about vet costs is that these medical expenses aren't subsidized like they are with humans, therefore they have to be passed onto the client. Vets have to buy the same (human-grade) equipment and medication as human hospitals, and this stuff is amazingly expensive. As I mentioned before, my dad is a veterinarian in Calgary, and some of the costs he has are pretty staggering. There are machines in there the size of a book that cost more than a new 3-series...and that's the small stuff. I can see why they charge what they do.

Medication is an expensive business, people just don't tend to notice it when they themselves get sick, because those costs are paid for them. If there was no public health care, you would be paying the exact same types of figures if you went to a physician for a paper cut.

Like I said...people really need to consider pet insurance. This stuff get's amazingly expensive pretty fast, and if you can't handle the finances (like we couldn't with our kitty yesterday), some extremely tough decisions have to be made.
Sorry for the late reply, but I missed your reply the first go around.

As I mentioned in my original post, I said if his daughter is under 18, they should have consulted him about treatment and what the costs were going to be. $270 to treat a hamster is a tad outrageous. I was at my Vet this morning having my dog looked after and mentioned this to her and she said it's hard to judge without knowing the whole story, but at first blush, this Vet sounded unethical.

If this is standard operating procedures for this guy, yes he should lose his license. I don't care how many expensive book sized pieces of equipment he has to pay for. Capitalizing on a customer's emotional bond with their pets is wrong.

I have 13 year old dog who was diagnosed with cancer 3 years ago. My original vet wanted to start him on an agressive treatment regime that would have cost thousands and extended his life by 2 or 3 years, maybe more. I went to a second vet and was told that we could treat him but considering his age it probably wouldn't make a difference.

We went with plan B and have done nothing but enjoy every walk since then and my dog has had a way better quality of life than if I had put him on an agressive chemo plan.
Ramsayfarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 08:59 PM   #162
Vena
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Girl View Post
It's very true. I had my dog put down this past Tuesday, and when I walked in, everyone was giving me the head tilted to the side I'm so sorry look. When I walked out, no one made eye contact at all.

It's a hard enough decision to make, but the even tougher thing is to actually carry it out. I brought my dog in and I had trouble looking at her, because I felt like she was giving me the "Why are you letting them do this to me? You're supposed to protect me" look. It's so painful, you know it's for the best, but it's just brutal.

The other thing was that my vet seemed somewhat callous about the whole thing. Granted, I was certainly in a very sensitive state, but he walked in and said "sorry about this," but there didn't seem to be any sincerity at all there. Then, after it was done, I asked what happens now and he started on about putting her in a bag and then a freezer with the other euthanized animals, before the truck comes at the end of the week to pick up the bodies. I wasn't expecting some story about putting her in a golden coffin while someone recites a prayer, but he must have said 'freezer' and 'body' 20 times in his little two minute explanation.
Sorry for your loss. That is a bit harsh of the vet. Perhaps he should have been taking in account your state of mind.
Vena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 09:04 PM   #163
Ramsayfarian
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Girl View Post
It's very true. I had my dog put down this past Tuesday, and when I walked in, everyone was giving me the head tilted to the side I'm so sorry look. When I walked out, no one made eye contact at all.

It's a hard enough decision to make, but the even tougher thing is to actually carry it out. I brought my dog in and I had trouble looking at her, because I felt like she was giving me the "Why are you letting them do this to me? You're supposed to protect me" look. It's so painful, you know it's for the best, but it's just brutal.

The other thing was that my vet seemed somewhat callous about the whole thing. Granted, I was certainly in a very sensitive state, but he walked in and said "sorry about this," but there didn't seem to be any sincerity at all there. Then, after it was done, I asked what happens now and he started on about putting her in a bag and then a freezer with the other euthanized animals, before the truck comes at the end of the week to pick up the bodies. I wasn't expecting some story about putting her in a golden coffin while someone recites a prayer, but he must have said 'freezer' and 'body' 20 times in his little two minute explanation.
Your Vet was a dick.

I think you misread your dog. She was saying, "I'm going to miss you something awful and I'm sorry that this is making you sad, but I appreciate what you're doing for me."
Old 08-28-2010, 09:45 PM   #164
SeeBass
First Line Centre

Exp:

I had found my best friend had passed away in the middle of the night a few months ago. My vet is the greatest he came to my house and treated him with respect. I demanded that I carried him out to the van in his favourite blanket.
It had cost us $275 to have him cremated seperatly and have a cedar urn for his ashes.
I shook the vets hand and asked him to take care of my best friend and the vet said of course and he gave me a hug and even his assistant was crying. I couldn't have asked for anything more in what was the hardest day of my life.
SeeBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 09:47 PM   #165
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Sorry for your loss Eastern Girl....

Your vet sounds like a callious uncaring a hole.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:43 PM   #166
burnin_vernon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Geez, I don't know why I open this thread. Every time I tell myself not to do it but I never listen.
burnin_vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to burnin_vernon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2010, 02:14 AM   #167
Akai-Sesui
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

This page gets me every time, and usually I read this thread at work.
For the first time ever, I'm reading this at home and crying by myself.

My dog came over and insisted on cleaning up my face of all the tears.
We've probably got another 5 years...but I'm absolutely dreading the day that I have to do what you all have done.
Akai-Sesui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:26 AM   #168
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Whenever I see this thread on the main page, I keep thinking to myself:

"The youth in asia would love to eat your pet"
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:05 AM   #169
JustAnotherGuy
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Whenever I see this thread on the main page, I keep thinking to myself:

"The youth in asia would love to eat your pet"
Attention whore.
JustAnotherGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:23 AM   #170
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
As I mentioned in my original post, I said if his daughter is under 18, they should have consulted him about treatment and what the costs were going to be. $270 to treat a hamster is a tad outrageous. I was at my Vet this morning having my dog looked after and mentioned this to her and she said it's hard to judge without knowing the whole story, but at first blush, this Vet sounded unethical.

If this is standard operating procedures for this guy, yes he should lose his license. I don't care how many expensive book sized pieces of equipment he has to pay for. Capitalizing on a customer's emotional bond with their pets is wrong.
I think people expect way too much out of businesses. As Table5 explained, the costs to run an animal hospital are high. The expertise of the vet didn't come cheap and the vet has the right to make a profit off his time, the use of his equipment, the use of his facility, his assistant's time, etc.

I have to explain basic economics to the odd customer that comes into my shop from time to time when they want to consult with our foreman for an hour on a $50 job, or have us come onsite but not pay for travel time (for example).

Usually people are pretty reasonable once you explain how they would cost you money if we proceeded how they expected; however, there are usually one or two a year that think we are trying to rip them off just by trying to meet our basic - and obvious/transparent - costs plus add a modest profit.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:40 AM   #171
Ramsayfarian
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I think people expect way too much out of businesses. As Table5 explained, the costs to run an animal hospital are high. The expertise of the vet didn't come cheap and the vet has the right to make a profit off his time, the use of his equipment, the use of his facility, his assistant's time, etc.

I have to explain basic economics to the odd customer that comes into my shop from time to time when they want to consult with our foreman for an hour on a $50 job, or have us come onsite but not pay for travel time (for example).

Usually people are pretty reasonable once you explain how they would cost you money if we proceeded how they expected; however, there are usually one or two a year that think we are trying to rip them off just by trying to meet our basic - and obvious/transparent - costs plus add a modest profit.
I'm all for making money and don't expect my Vet to work for free. My issue is with Vet's who suggest expensive procedures when they know that the animal is beyond help.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:33 PM   #172
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:
Icon37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
I'm all for making money and don't expect my Vet to work for free. My issue is with Vet's who suggest expensive procedures when they know that the animal is beyond help.
Yeah for sure that is lame. You would like to think they don't do it on purpose but I'm sure some do.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 12:36 PM   #173
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:09 AM   #174
HeartsOfFire
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Our eldest cat -- 2 years old -- has recently gotten sick. From what I've noticed, he has become slow and lethargic. He shies away from physical contact. His meow has become hoarse, and he's not eating or drinking (from what I know. Admittedly, this started happening just as I was starting a shift, and I work 12 hour days, so she's had more time with him than I have). Yesterday, he began spitting up what looks like saliva. No hairballs, no vomit, no food. She says that he wolfed down some Tuna that she gave him yesterday morning, though.

Girlfriend and I are taking him to the animal hospital tonight after work to see what's what. Since this is the first time we've had an animal health emergency come up, I've made it clear to her my stance on animal health expenses: I will contribute no more than the cost of a new cat adoption to vet bills in a single calendar year. If vet bills run higher than this amount, either she covers the rest, or we euthanize the animal.

I am not looking forward to the outcome tonight.

Last edited by HeartsOfFire; 09-03-2010 at 05:15 AM.
HeartsOfFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:36 AM   #175
FireFly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartsOfFire View Post
Our eldest cat -- 2 years old -- has recently gotten sick. From what I've noticed, he has become slow and lethargic. He shies away from physical contact. His meow has become hoarse, and he's not eating or drinking (from what I know. Admittedly, this started happening just as I was starting a shift, and I work 12 hour days, so she's had more time with him than I have). Yesterday, he began spitting up what looks like saliva. No hairballs, no vomit, no food. She says that he wolfed down some Tuna that she gave him yesterday morning, though.

Girlfriend and I are taking him to the animal hospital tonight after work to see what's what. Since this is the first time we've had an animal health emergency come up, I've made it clear to her my stance on animal health expenses: I will contribute no more than the cost of a new cat adoption to vet bills in a single calendar year. If vet bills run higher than this amount, either she covers the rest, or we euthanize the animal.

I am not looking forward to the outcome tonight.
Best wishes for your cat. A few years ago my cat was doing the same and it ended up being kidney failure; or at least that was the initial diagnoses before I said "Now how much will it cost to confirm, what are my options here." In the end I had to euthanize Mouse. Apparently kidney failure at around 2 years is fairly common.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
If edmonton wins the cup in the next decade I will buy everyone on CP a bottle of vodka.
FireFly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:51 AM   #176
FireFly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
Isn't a new cat pretty low, like $50-$100. I don't think I've ever been to the vet with a bill under $125.
With spay/neuter and it's first shots, it's usually around $200.
Quote:
If edmonton wins the cup in the next decade I will buy everyone on CP a bottle of vodka.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:57 AM   #177
HeartsOfFire
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Girlfriend has been in touch with a couple of veterinarians over the phone. One from the Fish Creek 24H Animal emergency hospital recommended to us by the Meow Foundation, and another recommended by a co-worker that works part time as a vet assistant in Crowchild.

Both vets, upon hearing descriptions of the symptoms, believe without hesitation that it's an upper respiratory infection related to the stress of our newest kitten being introduced into the family a week ago. She asked if it's potentially fatal. The Crowchild vet said 'No,' and the Fish Creek vet said 'Potentially, in senior cats with decrepit legs and grouchy demeanors. Not in 2-year old spring chickens like yours.'

I feel relieved.
HeartsOfFire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HeartsOfFire For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2010, 10:26 AM   #178
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly View Post
With spay/neuter and it's first shots, it's usually around $200.
Trans Canada on 16th does all of this for around $100.
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:09 AM   #179
FireFly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank MetaMusil View Post
Trans Canada on 16th does all of this for around $100.
Is that just for the spay/neuter and first shots? Because I was talking about adopting a cat... from the SPCA or whatever, there's an adoption fee, plus you're paying for the spay/neuter and shots so it's more than that.
Quote:
Old 09-03-2010, 12:29 PM   #180
Pinner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartsOfFire View Post
I've made it clear to her my stance on animal health expenses: I will contribute no more than the cost of a new cat adoption to vet bills in a single calendar year. If vet bills run higher than this amount, either she covers the rest, or we euthanize the animal.

Your a real hard ass aren't you
Pinner is offline   Reply With Quote