Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2023, 07:42 AM   #41
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1635123867869138945

surferguy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2023, 08:20 AM   #42
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
For me it was maybe a 6.5/10 movie at best as it's an interesting concept that to me was stretched far too thin as it's at least 30 minutes overcooked. It's one of those movies that's not for everyone but the people that liked it, LOVED it and started a bit of a cult following that kept gaining momentum. I actually liked Top Gun more but I don't know if from top to bottom it's an Oscar caliber movie. Anyway good to see A24 going strong.
I really enjoyed Everything and I’m happy it won but I can appreciate this sort of sentiment from people who didn’t love it. Not everyone is going to like every winner, and just because there’s one Best Picture winner every year doesn’t mean there’s at least one masterpiece every year. The only thing I find strange is the people suggesting it had no business winning. Whether it’s for you or not, I think it’s hard to deny that it falls in the same quality as the other nominees. Was a lot like Eternal Sunshine to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
I think Top Gun could have had a quick throw away scene or line for McGillis. Something along the lines that her consulting has put her up even higher in the government, and just like Iceman she is somewhat of a guardian angel for Maverick.
Why, though? I don’t think the film lacked nostalgia plays, and the references to Iceman and Goose actually had narrative value. McGillis’ character/scenes were the cheesiest and most pointless of the original film, so I liked that they gave him a love interest with more realistic agency and got a better actor to play her.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2023, 08:44 AM   #43
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Why, though? I don’t think the film lacked nostalgia plays, and the references to Iceman and Goose actually had narrative value. McGillis’ character/scenes were the cheesiest and most pointless of the original film, so I liked that they gave him a love interest with more realistic agency and got a better actor to play her.
Just my idea for how they could have put her into the film. I was fine with her not being in it (although my wife was not).
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 09:13 AM   #44
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I really enjoyed Everything and I’m happy it won but I can appreciate this sort of sentiment from people who didn’t love it. Not everyone is going to like every winner, and just because there’s one Best Picture winner every year doesn’t mean there’s at least one masterpiece every year. The only thing I find strange is the people suggesting it had no business winning. Whether it’s for you or not, I think it’s hard to deny that it falls in the same quality as the other nominees. Was a lot like Eternal Sunshine to me.
I'm fine with it winning as I didn't have a strong opinion of the nominated films I saw and the half that I didn't. At least EEAAO was a good film and not a weak winner like Shakespeare in Love.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2023, 09:15 AM   #45
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm fine with it winning as I didn't have a strong opinion of the nominated films I saw and the half that I didn't. At least EEAAO was a good film and not a weak winner like Shakespeare in Love.
Still the most garbage Best Picture decision, Saving Private Ryan should have had it.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2023, 09:37 AM   #46
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
For me it was maybe a 6.5/10 movie at best as it's an interesting concept that to me was stretched far too thin as it's at least 30 minutes overcooked. It's one of those movies that's not for everyone but the people that liked it, LOVED it and started a bit of a cult following that kept gaining momentum. I actually liked Top Gun more but I don't know if from top to bottom it's an Oscar caliber movie. Anyway good to see A24 going strong.
I probably liked it a bit more than that -- it is a really interesting best picture winner, being basically a very high-concept sci-fi dramedy, a completely original script, and being a Hollywood movie starring a cast of mostly minority actors.

Oddly enough, it was the only best picture nominee I had actually seen, what with me being one of the four people on earth who hasn't seen Top Gun OR Avatar...
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 10:04 AM   #47
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I probably liked it a bit more than that -- it is a really interesting best picture winner, being basically a very high-concept sci-fi dramedy, a completely original script, and being a Hollywood movie starring a cast of mostly minority actors.

Oddly enough, it was the only best picture nominee I had actually seen, what with me being one of the four people on earth who hasn't seen Top Gun OR Avatar...
Wife and I are #2 and #3 out of the four people on earth that haven't seen either.

I liked Everything Everywhere All at Once. It was entertaining and different. All Quiet was good and is probably a traditional Oscar pick, but man it sure dragged at times.
Nice to see something "new" win compared to the resurrection of old franchises we regularly see in movies nowadays.

Ridiculous that Yeoh is only the second woman of colour since Halle Berry to win best actress and the first Asian woman.

Last edited by Torture; 03-13-2023 at 10:09 AM.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 10:11 AM   #48
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Everything Everywhere was a boring and stupid ####ing movie. It's the only movie I can think of in yeeeaaaars where I just wandered out and didn't go back in. I was so bored with it I just couldn't sit there any longer. Left to take a leak with maybe 20 minutes to go and just decided to play on my phone after instead of sitting back in the theater.

I think it was made for the lowest of the low basic bitch who wanted to surprise themselves by liking a quirky little movie that wasn't your average Hollywood movie. Okay, well congrats. Yes it was quirky and wasn't typical Hollywood, but that doesn't make it good. #### that movie.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2023, 10:19 AM   #49
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Everything Everywhere was a boring and stupid ####ing movie. It's the only movie I can think of in yeeeaaaars where I just wandered out and didn't go back in. I was so bored with it I just couldn't sit there any longer. Left to take a leak with maybe 20 minutes to go and just decided to play on my phone after instead of sitting back in the theater.

I think it was made for the lowest of the low basic bitch who wanted to surprise themselves by liking a quirky little movie that wasn't your average Hollywood movie. Okay, well congrats. Yes it was quirky and wasn't typical Hollywood, but that doesn't make it good. #### that movie.

direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 10:27 AM   #50
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

This was a pretty fair year for movies. EEAAO and Banshees were two of the best movies I've seen in a while. All Quiet was also great, and I'm looking forward to watching Tar and Babylon.

I probably would have gone Condon for best supporting actress. Her and Keoghan were stellar in Banshees, which actually didn't have a poor performance throughout the entire cast.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2023, 10:34 AM   #51
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:

You should’ve just asked the wife to refill your candy bag and sat in another movie that was more your speed. I think Sonic 2 was playing at the same time.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2023, 10:41 AM   #52
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

To even think Top Gun could win because people watched it is insane. Most blockbusters traditionally don't win Oscars other than technical. Top Gun 2 was fun, but jesus is it ever the most over-hyped movie in years. "saved hollywood!"

Everything, etc. was a good movie. It had its faults, but was certainly a film that has the "depth" to win best picture, while also offering something different than the regular depressing oscar bait. The fact that it is over a year old already, shows it has had some staying power.

I personally liked Tar the best this year (again, it has faults), but thought best picture would be between Banshees and Everything etc.

Short Round winning best supporting actor was the clear no brainer. I thought Blanchette was absolutely robbed, but Corsi nailed the rationale of that pick, and its not like Yeoh didnt have a deserving performance.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 10:42 AM   #53
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Still the most garbage Best Picture decision, Saving Private Ryan should have had it.
1994 had Pulp Fiction, Forrest Gump, and Shawshank all nominated for best picture!? Damn, what a choice. All three are probably better than any movie has won best picture since.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 10:43 AM   #54
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought it was just an OK year for movies... EEAAO, Tar, Banshees were all good movies, but not at a level where they were contenders for all-time movie lists. The Whale was fine but mostly just a showcase for one actor. Same could be said for Elvis. Top Gun and Avatar were obviously not good movies, just entertaining theatre-going fare. That being said, I have yet to see Women Talking and All Quiet, although from what I hear they're good but unlikely to change my mind.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 10:46 AM   #55
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
Wife and I are #2 and #3 out of the four people on earth that haven't seen either.

I liked Everything Everywhere All at Once. It was entertaining and different. All Quiet was good and is probably a traditional Oscar pick, but man it sure dragged at times.
Nice to see something "new" win compared to the resurrection of old franchises we regularly see in movies nowadays.

Ridiculous that Yeoh is only the second woman of colour since Halle Berry to win best actress and the first Asian woman.
All Quiet had 2 things going against it:
1. War movies usually struggle to win BP award;
2. It isnt even the best Adaptation of the novel - Honestly, if you havent seen the 1930 version, you need to. It is a much better version
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2023, 10:47 AM   #56
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Wait Banshees was up for an Oscar? Like, the one with Colin Farrel (sp?) and the general from Live Die Repeat?

I just saw that on Thursday at the cheap theater. Only went because I've seen everything else and thought WTH.

It was fine. Nice little movie, but it was not extra special in any way, shape or form.

JFC, the Oscars are ridiculous.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 10:50 AM   #57
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Wait Banshees was up for an Oscar? Like, the one with Colin Farrel (sp?) and the general from Live Die Repeat?

I just saw that on Thursday at the cheap theater. Only went because I've seen everything else and thought WTH.

It was fine. Nice little movie, but it was not extra special in any way, shape or form.

JFC, the Oscars are ridiculous.
I'd be really curious to know what your top five movies are.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 11:55 AM   #58
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I'd be really curious to know what your top five movies are.
Princess Switch on Netflix is one of his favorite movies, I know.

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showth...ch#post6902662
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 12:04 PM   #59
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was tweeting about this a bit last night, while I was watching the telecast and was
Spoiler!
and decided that EEAO winning Best Picture represents the tipping point in which Millennials became The Establishment.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 12:09 PM   #60
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
I was tweeting about this a bit last night, while I was watching the telecast and was
Spoiler!
and decided that EEAO winning Best Picture represents the tipping point in which Millennials became The Establishment.
Impossible, I thought we were still in the stage of writing articles about millenials destroying everything and treating the generation as if millenials were all 20 rather than adults with jobs, children, and responsibilities?
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post: