Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2023, 09:18 PM   #1
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:
Default Help! The hole in my ozone layer is growing

The crown of my head has been getting shinier and shinier lately (but the rest is thick and luxurious). I'm not fussed about how it looks, but have heard that it's a prime target for certain skin cancers (which I'd like to avoid).

My questions, dear calgarypuckers, are:
-Anyone ever had hair restoration done?
-Whats the process like/cost?
-Any clinics you'd recommend or avoid?

Thanks!
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 09:22 PM   #2
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gotta go to Turkey to get the good stuff.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 09:25 PM   #3
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Save money, become Jewish.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2023, 09:29 PM   #4
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2023, 06:55 AM   #5
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Growing Skeptical of Hair Restoration

https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4504
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 08:16 AM   #6
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Clearly transplants work as men like Musk, Stallone, Tom Brady, LeBron James and pretty well every aging male actor in hollywood can attest. That's likely the only method that truly works in regards to bringing a lot of hair back but it's also the most expensive method.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2023, 08:18 AM   #7
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Sidney Crosby is finally going bald.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 08:39 AM   #8
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Gotta go to Turkey to get the good stuff.
add in some new gnashers and get a deal

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 09:23 AM   #9
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just ignore it and it'll repair itself like the real ozone layer.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 09:32 AM   #10
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since my late 20s I've been using Nioxin shampoo and have had a prescription for finasteride which I take daily. This was precautionary more than anything, but I'm not stopping now. I'm now 40 and have kept a full head of hair. Maybe look into these solutions and try 'em out.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 09:35 AM   #11
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Growing Skeptical of Hair Restoration

https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4504
I began noticing hair loss about 8 years ago. I tried Rogaine (Minoxidil) but hated applying it topically (plus, I think it killed my GF's cat...)

I switched to Finasteride in 2016 and haven't regretted it. I know there are some people who have had some adverse effects, but I haven't notice. The hair in the thinning area has thickened a bit and there hasn't been any evidence of further loss.

I noticed a lot of new ads on podcasts for things like "Keeps" and "Nutriful" etc. which i understand are just pretty packages for Finasteride products sold at a premium. For 120 days of generic finasteride, its like 20 bucks and can be covered by Insurance (if you pick the generic 5mg and cut it into quarters)

On to the topic.

My brother is considering transplants. He is going for a consult in Calgary and i can let you know what the costs were here. I belive it's 10-15 grand. I understand you can go to Turkey for less than 5k
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2023, 09:37 AM   #12
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Since my late 20s I've been using Nioxin shampoo and have had a prescription for finasteride which I take daily. This was precautionary more than anything, but I'm not stopping now. I'm now 40 and have kept a full head of hair. Maybe look into these solutions and try 'em out.
Aren’t the pill solutions hooks for life to keep it? And I’ve heard if you use these creams or the pills that there’s a heavier chance at birth defects? Not sure how much is true.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 09:56 AM   #13
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
Aren’t the pill solutions hooks for life to keep it? And I’ve heard if you use these creams or the pills that there’s a heavier chance at birth defects? Not sure how much is true.
I have no clue. I get it fully covered under my health insurance, and even without, it's not that much to begin with. I'm not having kids, so not worried about birth defects either. I have noticed an increased lust for pizza over the last decade, so I'll assume that's a fun side effect of this stuff.
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2023, 10:04 AM   #14
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

My friend was a data scientist for one of these companies. He told me that they would get the most website traffic on Friday nights after 11pm.

Going bald is just fine. The only cream you should apply is sunscreen, no joke, you'll get a sunburn in 5 minutes.
TheIronMaiden is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2023, 10:43 AM   #15
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

There is something to be said about confidence and self-image. If guys need to spend all that money just to feel good about themselves, go for it, because at the end of the day it’s whatever makes you happy.

That said, I’m all about guys who embrace what they have. Confidence is really attractive. Unless you’re working with Jude Law-levels of attractiveness, just embrace the bald, shave it off, and grow a beard or a great moustache (bald guys with good facial hair just work).

Forget surgery, toss the creams and the pills in the garbage. If you’re happy with how you look but you’re just worried about skin cancer, do what basically everyone else does in that situation and wear sunscreen.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2023, 10:47 AM   #16
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calf View Post
The crown of my head has been getting shinier and shinier lately (but the rest is thick and luxurious). I'm not fussed about how it looks, but have heard that it's a prime target for certain skin cancers (which I'd like to avoid).

My questions, dear calgarypuckers, are:
-Anyone ever had hair restoration done?
-Whats the process like/cost?
-Any clinics you'd recommend or avoid?

Thanks!
Sorry to hear that, wow time flies since we all had youthful heads of hair when riding the school bus together in Junior High.

I don't know anyone personally that has had a transplant but I understand the procedures are much better these days than in the 80s and 90s. Back then they would surgically remove a flap of skin with living folicles but it would leave horrible scars and gaps. Nowadays they can remove hairs individually and inject them into a grid pattern back into problem areas. I do know many people who have taken the Finasteride pills for it but it didn't keep their hair in for them in the end.

This channel comes up on my feed and he seems to describe different hair transplant procedures with an entertaining and educational perspective. https://www.youtube.com/@drgarylinkov

On the Flames, Mangiapane is the most recent hair transplanter.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 12-15-2023 at 10:49 AM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 10:48 AM   #17
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Wear a hat outside, a ball cap helps block sun from you face as well.

I am thinning on top, but not even close to the point where I have to worry about it. Not that I would worry, I would just shave it to the wood.
Old 12-15-2023, 10:50 AM   #18
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Before you get a hair transplant, any good doctor will force you to go on hair loss drugs first. Otherwise, you will continue to lose hair around the transplant and it will look absolutely awful. Think strangely placed tuft of hair growing out of a bald head. So you should try out the drugs first.

I use Minoxidil and put on Finasteride topically, as topically you are extremely unlikely to get side effects. Finasteride hasn't been approved topically in Canada yet, but it has in the USA and there are plenty of studies on it. Obviously consult with a doctor first. I am not a doctor.

F embracing what you have. Life is short. Do what makes you feel better, as long as its not at the cost of someone else.

Not everyone looks good bald/balding. If you can save your hair for $10/month. Do that. Both my younger brothers and my father are bald now. I was going bald, but it stopped, with a little recession in the front.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 11:00 AM   #19
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I get the 'be yourself and own it' mentality, but blankall is right - life is short, and if having hair makes you feel better, just ####ing do it. Taking a quarter pill of finasteride once a day at next to no cost, to have hair, takes the lowest amount of time, effort and commitment and works extremely well.
Old 12-15-2023, 11:02 AM   #20
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Clearly transplants work as men like Musk, Stallone, Tom Brady, LeBron James and pretty well every aging male actor in hollywood can attest. That's likely the only method that truly works in regards to bringing a lot of hair back but it's also the most expensive method.
Jimmy Carr and Theo Von have both said they had it done too. Made me curious, honestly.

I don’t mind the look of shaving it all off, but it’s a huge pain in the ass and I have tons of hair where I have it.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post: