Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2023, 09:07 PM   #1301
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Thought it was a pretty dull episode, I'm here for The Mandalorian not the random doctor guy from season 1. I had assumed it was a long set-up to work in this cloning research as the next major plot point but turns out it was just an overly long way to set up the girl as some type of double agent / baddie. Zzz...
Obviously they're setting the chessboard for a big finale payoff. And we got some actual world building around coruscant, which we barely got in any of the other entries. I'd say that's pretty cool.

Sometimes patience pays. Not every episode needs to be mindless pew-pewing following the same formula

They did something fresh. This is a good thing for the show. Let's see where it goes instead of bitching prematurely
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 09:57 PM   #1302
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I really liked the tale of 3 stories concept. The escape with the Tie interceptors was a lot of fun as was the bombing of the palace.

It was funny that the conclusion that was reached was that no warlord had that kind of power. So the question is, who would have a large amount of Tie Interceptors and bombers?

I did like a few things in the Doctors story line.

Spoiler!

We saw in this episode that the Republic hadn't changed. We know on the outer rim that its absolutely awful with slavery and crime lords running it. Meanwhile the wealthy in the inner rim world laugh about it. Its the same old Corrupt Republic that won't do what needs to be done due to stiff ideology.

Lets not use Imperial Equipment, oh except when it can destroy people's minds.

Its the one thing that became clear after the prequels that the Alliance to restore the Republic was deluded. The Republic really wasn't worth saving, and in the Sequels a lot of the outer rim worlds welcomed the First Order.

the third story was the return on Din to the Old Ways, and Bo being accepted by them. She's found a tribe, lets see how long it lasts?

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 10:59 PM   #1303
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Neither the Old nor New Republic were able to solve the huge class divide among galactic citizens, which is quite a relatable real life issue with no easy solution. But any argument that the Empire was an improvement sort of gets invalidated immediately by the…you know, affinity for planet-busting genocide.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 12:18 AM   #1304
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

The armourer and Bo appear to have a personal connection.

She immediately knew who Katan was.
Old 03-17-2023, 02:39 AM   #1305
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bo was a member of the royal family of Mandalore. Both her father and sister were leaders of the planet, and she was even a leader of the Mandalorians for a time.

She should have been recognizable to any Mandalorian. The Armourer recognizing her doesn't necessarily mean anything.

On the other hand, the Clone Wars series established that Bo and her sister Satine had a nephew, which means they must have had at least one other sibling. It's possible the Armourer is Bo's sister or niece. She could also have worked as an armourer for the royal house at some point before the fall of Mandalore.
Old 03-17-2023, 10:32 AM   #1306
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Bo was a member of the royal family of Mandalore. Both her father and sister were leaders of the planet, and she was even a leader of the Mandalorians for a time.

She should have been recognizable to any Mandalorian. The Armourer recognizing her doesn't necessarily mean anything.

On the other hand, the Clone Wars series established that Bo and her sister Satine had a nephew, which means they must have had at least one other sibling. It's possible the Armourer is Bo's sister or niece. She could also have worked as an armourer for the royal house at some point before the fall of Mandalore.
So that's an interesting through. Satine's nephew was a boy named Korkie (yeah lame name for a Mandalorian. He helped Ahsoka uncover corruption in Mandalore's government.

I love the idea of a royal armorer, but under Satine, there wasn't armor being made except by Death Watch.

And yeah, Bo would have been easily one of the more famous Mando's left and easily recognizable.

Old 03-17-2023, 12:42 PM   #1307
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post

Was hinting at the sister thing.
Old 03-17-2023, 12:42 PM   #1308
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2023, 12:55 PM   #1309
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
Neither the Old nor New Republic were able to solve the huge class divide among galactic citizens, which is quite a relatable real life issue with no easy solution. But any argument that the Empire was an improvement sort of gets invalidated immediately by the…you know, affinity for planet-busting genocide.
I don't know, Alderaan was a direct threat to the Empire, a vipers nest of terrorism with Bail Organa acting as the face of a illegal rebellion and his daughter not only involved in the Theft of Imperial Property, but also heavily involved in weapons smuggling and ship stealing for the Rebel terrorists.

Alderaan was part of the triad of evil with Mon Calamari, and Corellia. In a galaxy of thousands of thousands of world, the unfortunate malfunction of an Imperial Mining platform that resulted in the accidental destruction of Alderaan was unfortunate, but at the same time a lucky coincidence.

Can we talk about the murder of hundreds of thousands of innocent imperials including civilians who's only crime was to work on a experimental mining platform by the Rebel anarchists and terrorists.

Going back to the show. When I watched it again, there is just something that feels malignant with the Republic.

When you look at the people that approached the doctor at the speech, you get the feeling that they were just cochroach survivors with a high level of insincerity, they had probably survived under the old republic, the Empire and the new republic, who were mouthing the same platitudes about the Empire.

At the same time, the whole amnesty project seemed to be utterly evil. I mean you have a deep undercover agent, that pretty much used what would be an illegal investigation where she kept pushing the doctor to steal that equipment. Then you have them using experimental mind scrambling equipment on people.

Also there was almost a nazi feel to the droid doing the meetings and even the interaction with the former Imperials at the amnesty housing. I'm wondering if the whole rehabilitation institute was brain washing people with the mind flair.

We can talk about the never change economic model where the core worlds get rich and everyone else gets screwed.

I'm kind of glad though that the New Republic looks identical to the Empire especially with the very imperial visual of the beaurocracy and these poor souls being addressed by a very storm trooper like designation instead of a name.

I do wonder if at some point we see why the Republic moved the capital to Hosnian.

Old 03-17-2023, 01:01 PM   #1310
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I also thought it was kind of slow but in the end I understood what it was all about. They had to at least show us some trust building between the doctor and double agent, it was clever how they worked in the rations.

The it was a trap moment was hilarious, I loved the slight pause.

The opening sequence was amazing, shades of Top Gun Maverick as they flew at water level through the mountains. One of my favourite parts of any Mandalorian episode so far honestly. You could just feel the frustration from Bo-Katan as they bomb her home, just triggering those memories from Mandalore.

I am also continuously amazed how they can portray mood and tone through the helmets. Very well done.
Old 03-17-2023, 01:15 PM   #1311
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

yes, Mandalorian is Star Wars dogfights done right. frantic but you can always follow what's going on. it borrows from the battle of Scarif aesthetic which is the gold standard in orbit/atmosphere action.

I also thought Coruscant looked fine, perpetual night notwithstanding. the prequel wide shots of the city maybe didn't age as poorly as some of the other effects, but to claim those looked better than in Mando sounds crazy to me.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 01:38 PM   #1312
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
I also thought it was kind of slow but in the end I understood what it was all about. They had to at least show us some trust building between the doctor and double agent, it was clever how they worked in the rations.

The it was a trap moment was hilarious, I loved the slight pause.

The opening sequence was amazing, shades of Top Gun Maverick as they flew at water level through the mountains. One of my favourite parts of any Mandalorian episode so far honestly. You could just feel the frustration from Bo-Katan as they bomb her home, just triggering those memories from Mandalore.

I am also continuously amazed how they can portray mood and tone through the helmets. Very well done.
I've always thought that Katee was an exceptional actress when it comes to emotions.

But its amazing that we can read the emotions for Bo and Din even when we can't see their faces.

I loved Grogu trying to talk.

Old 03-17-2023, 02:28 PM   #1313
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Loved the dogfight. Was totally surprised to see Coruscant again!
Old 03-17-2023, 06:10 PM   #1314
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
yes, Mandalorian is Star Wars dogfights done right. frantic but you can always follow what's going on. it borrows from the battle of Scarif aesthetic which is the gold standard in orbit/atmosphere action.

I also thought Coruscant looked fine, perpetual night notwithstanding. the prequel wide shots of the city maybe didn't age as poorly as some of the other effects, but to claim those looked better than in Mando sounds crazy to me.
The sequel trilogy pissed on the classic SW dogfights

ANH battle scenes looked more realistic

I'm glad they've improved it in the recent live action shows.
Old 03-22-2023, 01:48 AM   #1315
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Now we know who saved Grogu from the Temple.

Spoiler!

Old 03-22-2023, 07:26 AM   #1316
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nailed the flashback sequence, but the rest of that episode was pretty goofy.
Old 03-22-2023, 07:46 PM   #1317
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I honestly thought that was the best episode of the season, very entertaining and well done.
Old 03-22-2023, 08:50 PM   #1318
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

"There's always a bigger fish" moment.

That five minute flashback sequence had more heart than the entire prequel trilogy.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2023, 09:15 PM   #1319
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
I honestly thought that was the best episode of the season, very entertaining and well done.
I found the voice acting by those in the clan to be terrible and made the mandalorians seem cringey. Din Djarin and his coolness just contrast the others too much.

Felt like watching a bunch of guys larping on a beach cosplaying as masterchief.

Dragon chase felt like filler, but less good than season 1 or 2 filler which was actually fun and star-warsy.

Grogu stole the show, but I think him and the dragon babies being trained as foundlings is just goofy kids show nonsense

But maybe that's just star wars at its core and my expectations are what's out of touch. Could be.

I wish they picked up on the storyline they teased last week rather than dropping it right after building momentum and intrigue. Just weird timing for an uninteresting filler side adventure.

The season/episode structuring of this and book of boba fett is really disjointed.

Last edited by TrentCrimmIndependent; 03-22-2023 at 09:17 PM.
Old 03-22-2023, 09:20 PM   #1320
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post

That five minute flashback sequence had more heart than the entire prequel trilogy.
This i will agree with.

They nailed the prequel vibe & atmosphere. Cool to see naboo officers/ships and the jedi temple.

Some redemption for Jar Jar's actor is the cherry on top.
The Following User Says Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post: