Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Pick the best prospect from the following
Granlund 94 30.72%
Hickey 96 31.37%
Jankowski 116 37.91%
Voters: 306. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-09-2015, 09:08 AM   #61
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are the Flames the best fit for Jankowski from his POV?

Travel

Monahan, Bennett AND Backlund AND Stajan until the end of 2017-2018 .. I s Jankowski going to be so good that he would move Bennett to the wing?

Colbourne was the big Centre that the Flames were lacking for years and he got moved to the wing.

Does anyone think that Kevin Hayes would have been better off going to the team that drafted him?

Would have he gotten the same opportunity behind Kane, Hossa, Shaw and Versteeg on the Hawks as he did behind St. Louis, Zuccerello and Stempniak on the the Rangers?
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:33 AM   #62
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quit trying to start a panic. Jankowski will be signing with the Flames after he's done in Providence.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2015, 09:45 AM   #63
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jankowski made it pretty clear in his comments that he is a Calgary Flame.

Your ongoing mission to prove that he is going to go UFA next year is not only baseless, it is petty and tiresome.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2015, 09:58 AM   #64
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
...Does anyone think that Kevin Hayes would have been better off going to the team that drafted him?

Would have he gotten the same opportunity behind Kane, Hossa, Shaw and Versteeg on the Hawks as he did behind St. Louis, Zuccerello and Stempniak on the the Rangers?
If Hayes had made the decision to stay in Chicago, he would be hosting the Stanley Cup at his house this summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2015, 10:02 AM   #65
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I'm always torn as to jumping on Ricardow for odd posts or thanking him for driving traffic!
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2015, 10:33 AM   #66
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really find it interesting a that the progress that Jankowski made last year moved him up from #11 best prospect to #6

Jankowski's 2013-14 season 25 pts in 39 games for third in team scoring did not seem to that impressive to the CP prospect voters last summer.

He follows that with a 2014-15 season with a 29 pts in 37 games where he drops to a tie for 5th in team scoring... dropping from 13 goals to 8 goals ( He was 7th in team goal scoring) and he rockets ahead as a Flame prospect.

Somehow does this gets extrapolated to high end top 6 at the NHL level? at least a 20 goals 40 pts guy

Is the prospect field weaker?

Apparently not as #5 prospect from last year is dropping to 8/9 spot after made the HUGE jump from the AHL to the NHL beating out UFA signing Mason Raymond and 28 year old 142 NHL goals scored Setoguchi for a roster spot. Played in 48 NHL games as averaging 13 minutes a game.. ie definitely was in the top 9 for 48 games on a playoff team.

Jankowski played well (surprisingly well) in the Frozen 4. Granlund played in 3 NHL playoff games ... 2 that the Flames won. While he was not a star he was not too far out of place and was a+1 over these 3 games.

Maybe Jankowski has put on the muscle that would be required to be a great checking centre.... I am sure he can't be 175 anymore.... Is he over 200 lbs?

Who are the NHL comparables that Jankowski brings to mind..... and please don't come back with Nieuwendyk as he was a natural scorer a goal/gm guy at Cornell as a 17 year old.

Do you see him as a Kesler? Does he skate as well? A Stephane Yelle? Craig Conroy?
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:37 AM   #67
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

Jankowski will sign next year, he will be in the AHL.
The following year, both Backlund and Stajan will be in the final year of their deals, and if Jankowski has one of their spots, they will be moved to make room.
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:21 AM   #68
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Really find it interesting a that the progress that Jankowski made last year moved him up from #11 best prospect to #6

Jankowski's 2013-14 season 25 pts in 39 games for third in team scoring did not seem to that impressive to the CP prospect voters last summer.

He follows that with a 2014-15 season with a 29 pts in 37 games where he drops to a tie for 5th in team scoring... dropping from 13 goals to 8 goals ( He was 7th in team goal scoring) and he rockets ahead as a Flame prospect.

Somehow does this gets extrapolated to high end top 6 at the NHL level? at least a 20 goals 40 pts guy

Apparently not as #5 prospect from last year is dropping to 8/9 spot after made the HUGE jump from the AHL to the NHL beating out UFA signing Mason Raymond and 28 year old 142 NHL goals scored Setoguchi for a roster spot. Played in 48 NHL games as averaging 13 minutes a game.. ie definitely was in the top 9 for 48 games on a playoff team.

Jankowski played well (surprisingly well) in the Frozen 4. Granlund played in 3 NHL playoff games ... 2 that the Flames won. While he was not a star he was not too far out of place and was a+1 over these 3 games.

Maybe Jankowski has put on the muscle that would be required to be a great checking centre.... I am sure he can't be 175 anymore.... Is he over 200 lbs?

Who are the NHL comparables that Jankowski brings to mind..... and please don't come back with Nieuwendyk as he was a natural scorer a goal/gm guy at Cornell as a 17 year old.

Do you see him as a Kesler? Does he skate as well? A Stephane Yelle? Craig Conroy?
Maybe - just maybe - people aren't reacting simply based on stats.

There aren't many chances to see him play. However, lots of people saw the NCAA finals, where he was a standout.

I would imagine that opened a lot of eyes.

Then came camp this week. Another chance to see him play. And again he excelled.

So it seems pretty understandable to me that he would jump in the rankings.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2015, 11:30 AM   #69
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I'm always torn as to jumping on Ricardow for odd posts or thanking him for driving traffic!
If you're happy with the traffic then good enough but the level of debate drops dramatically when Ricardo gets involved. The weird theories, the pulling things out of nowhere, one time suggesting Jankowski didn't want to be an NHL player because he had an Uncle who was a Doctor or something?

The level of debate used (still in?) to be the concern over traffic and a higher consistent level of conversation is what will drive up traffic long term.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2015, 11:34 AM   #70
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Yes. Multiple prospects have graduated and/or have been traded. They haven't been fully replaced because we traded 4 picks at the draft and walked away with only 5 players (3 of which were 5th, 6th and 7th round picks respectively).
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:42 AM   #71
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
If you're happy with the traffic then good enough but the level of debate drops dramatically when Ricardo gets involved. The weird theories, the pulling things out of nowhere, one time suggesting Jankowski didn't want to be an NHL player because he had an Uncle who was a Doctor or something?

The level of debate used (still in?) to be the concern over traffic and a higher consistent level of conversation is what will drive up traffic long term.
I was tongue in cheek don't worry

I see the derail

But I also hate group think so it's a tough line.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:44 AM   #72
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think people are naturally getting excited because they see the end of his college career coming up after this season with the real chance he will be playing pro or possibly even NHL games before the end of this season.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:46 AM   #73
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

^
Ricardo is harmless. He clearly loves to talk hockey, and is always respectful and responsive, even if he is a loon.

Quote:
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2015, 11:47 AM   #74
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire of the Phoenix View Post
Yes. Multiple prospects have graduated and/or have been traded. They haven't been fully replaced because we traded 4 picks at the draft and walked away with only 5 players (3 of which were 5th, 6th and 7th round picks respectively).
True. But I don't think the field is "weak" on the whole. The Flames still have a really deep prospect pool with lots of intriguing players who could still become high-impact NHLers.

Quote:
Old 07-09-2015, 03:09 PM   #75
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imported_Aussie View Post
Jankowski will sign next year, he will be in the AHL.
The following year, both Backlund and Stajan will be in the final year of their deals, and if Jankowski has one of their spots, they will be moved to make room.
You think this camp would be enough to change their (Flames) minds?
I really doubt it.

(edit: or did you you mean after playing the next year in NCAA?)
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 03:12 PM   #76
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
^
Ricardo is harmless. He clearly loves to talk hockey, and is always respectful and responsive, even if he is a loon.
The only thing I can't stand is the "Jankowski won't want to sign in Calgary" posts. Why even talk about that? It was ridiculous when people said it about Gaudreau, and it's ridiculous now.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2015, 03:22 PM   #77
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
You think this camp would be enough to change their (Flames) minds?
I really doubt it.

(edit: or did you you mean after playing the next year in NCAA?)
What I meant:

2015/16 = NCAA
2016/17 = AHL
2017/18 = NHL if he wins the spot
2018/19 = NHL - he will have his spot by then, barring a real change in his development arc (plus Stajan and Backlund will be out of contract)

Theoretically, he could win a spot right out of the gate, but this is a timeline I feel is most realistic
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Imported_Aussie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2015, 12:27 AM   #78
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I agree with your point that just taking how they are playing now isn't the best way to rank players but disagree with your examples because there is hindsight bias that clouds the issue when looking at the past in those cases.

Both of those players followed an unexpected development curve.

If the Flames were offered Craig Simpson for Niewendyk during the 1986/87 season (19//20 years old) they would have made that trade.

Simpson had 26 goals and 51 points in the NHL, and Niewendyk was still kind of an unheard of kid that wasn't putting up good but not unheard of numbers in the NCAA.

Just two years earlier when they were both playing in the NCAA, Simpson had put up 2.00PPG and Niewendyk was at 1.55ppg

If you are doing a prospect ranking that year it is probably clear that Simpson would have been ranked higher since the development path of Niewendyk scoring 50 the next season would have been unthinkable.

Same thing with Brodie and Schenn. If you would have proposed that trade to Flames GMs or on CP 2 or 3 years after the draft it would have happened instantly.

Schenn was still developing nicely, was a + player and had put up 17 points as a 19 year old d-man. Brodie had a good season, but nothing remarkable.
But the point of my post was hindsight, actually.

I am all for guys voting whomever they really do believe is the top prospect available, without having other people jumping on them for not using another poster's methodology like "NHL games played". The point of my post was that history dictates that high-caliber players are selected in the lower rounds and often exceed a higher pedigreed prospect. Baertschi vs Gaudreau (thus far) is one such example. Draft day, would you trade those two? Of course not. However, if there was a poster here who really followed Gaudreau prior to the USHL and into the USHL, and stated that Gaudreau was going to be a force in the NHL, then great.

Also, not that it really matters much, but it isn't a given that the Flames would have traded Nieuwendyk for Simpson that draft. NCAA was an afterthought amongst most NHL teams, and the Flames had one of the biggest presence in NCAA scouting at the time (Flames IIRC had a much larger scouting staff than most teams back in the 80's). There very well may have been a scout or two on the Flames that felt Nieuwendyk could really have developed into the player he eventually did. Doesn't happen often any longer, that's for sure, but back in the day scouting was a bit different.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote