Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2023, 08:32 PM   #5421
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
One thing is for sure, there is actually only a small group of people who would consider switching their vote from Liberal to CPC, and they are almost certainly not many of the people who are constantly claiming 'if only they would kick out the social conservatives.'

I remember this stupidity during the Harper years. All the boogyman stuff never materialized, and many of the issues around abortion are still lurking to this day despite Harper being long gone.

Canada had a quality candidate in O'Toole. Yes he perhaps wasn't the preferred guy, but he was good enough as a candidate to remove what was at that time already a corrupt Liberal government.

It is amusing how the Liberal supporters here who are making excuses keep saying 'i will only vote CPC if they do this, only vote if they do that', when in reality we all know they are never going to vote CPC.
Would those liberal supporters change their vote to the NDP or a different party other than the CPC? Ask yourself why that is, maybe it’s not just the social conservative boogie man stopping them and they aren’t just making excuses for why they don’t want to vote for the CPC.

If O’Toole was “good enough” he would have won the election, had he stepped up to try and implement meaningful changes he probably would have actually been good enough.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2023, 09:19 PM   #5422
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
Would those liberal supporters change their vote to the NDP or a different party other than the CPC? Ask yourself why that is, maybe it’s not just the social conservative boogie man stopping them and they aren’t just making excuses for why they don’t want to vote for the CPC.

If O’Toole was “good enough” he would have won the election, had he stepped up to try and implement meaningful changes he probably would have actually been good enough.
Well...thats a whole other argument that you're necessarily giving proper consideration.

That drags in 'First Past the Post' and Electoral Reform etc.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 09:45 PM   #5423
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
One thing is for sure, there is actually only a small group of people who would consider switching their vote from Liberal to CPC, and they are almost certainly not many of the people who are constantly claiming 'if only they would kick out the social conservatives.'

I remember this stupidity during the Harper years. All the boogyman stuff never materialized, and many of the issues around abortion are still lurking to this day despite Harper being long gone.

Canada had a quality candidate in O'Toole. Yes he perhaps wasn't the preferred guy, but he was good enough as a candidate to remove what was at that time already a corrupt Liberal government.

It is amusing how the Liberal supporters here who are making excuses keep saying 'i will only vote CPC if they do this, only vote if they do that', when in reality we all know they are never going to vote CPC.
Maybe that's true of some CP members, but I think you're underestimating that in the voter base.
I know a lot of people who voted CPC for the first time with O'Toole (myself included) and definitely won't vote for PP.

There's a lot of centrists who don't like Trudeau but can't go far right Conservative.
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 09:46 PM   #5424
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Well...thats a whole other argument that you're necessarily giving proper consideration.

That drags in 'First Past the Post' and Electoral Reform etc.
Honestly what kind of electoral reform would have significantly impacted the results in favour of O’Toole?

His party got less than 34% of the popular vote.

His party doesn’t need electoral reform, it needs to change its policies.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2023, 12:19 PM   #5425
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Honestly what kind of electoral reform would have significantly impacted the results in favour of O’Toole?

What percentage of the popular vote did the Liberals get?
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2023, 12:29 PM   #5426
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Quote:
Lol! They got the 'iggy_oi' popular vote.

That loser hack got 34% of the popular vote. That majestic winner got ~32%.

Good enough for iggy tho rite?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 03-22-2023, 12:30 PM   #5427
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
About 1 percentage point less. Before you try and say “see the system is broken” after isolating that one point, would you care to keep what I said in the intended context and explain why electoral reform that would lead to someone who got less than 34% of the popular vote taking office is needed?
Old 03-22-2023, 12:34 PM   #5428
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
About 1 percentage point less. Before you try and say “see the system is broken” after isolating that one point, would you care to keep what I said in the intended context and explain why electoral reform that would lead to someone who got less than 34% of the popular vote taking office is needed?
No.

Sorry, if you cant figure out why 'First Past the Post' and disproportionate regional representation is broken then I dont think I can teach you.

Old 03-22-2023, 12:38 PM   #5429
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Lol! They got the 'iggy_oi' popular vote.

That loser hack got 34% of the popular vote. That majestic winner got ~32%.

Good enough for iggy tho rite?
I’ll ask you the same question I just asked Azure, if you’re not too busy trying to dodge it with what I’m sure in your mind are golden zingers I’d be interested to hear your response. You’re also welcome to answer the previous question I asked if you can fit it into your busy schedule if avoiding having to justify things that you post.

Of course if you’d rather just stay on your current course I’m willing to accept that you’re not capable of doing so which others will see too and, as you put it, that’s good enough for me. :

Edit: thanks for answering at least one question
Old 03-22-2023, 12:40 PM   #5430
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No.

Sorry, if you cant figure out why 'First Past the Post' and disproportionate regional representation is broken then I dont think I can teach you.
Broken and lacking perfection are 2 different things. Can you teach yourself that?
Old 03-22-2023, 12:40 PM   #5431
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Nah, I voted LPC and then voted CPC. I do think that the CPC should eliminate the social element and I still came to grips with that decision because I feel that the current Liberals are corrupt.

Don't get me wrong, if they stick with the social conservatives and the Liberals clean-up again, I'd probably go back to the Liberals. Frankly, the social conservative issue only gets bigger for me as time moves on and I would suspect that I'm not alone in that.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2023, 12:47 PM   #5432
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Every successive CPC leader seems to keep getting more and more right-wing. PP is playing footsies with far-right trolls regularly (e.g. Diagolon and convoy types).

Get a leader that comes back to the center, is pragmatic and courteous, respects Canadian democracy and understands that the world is changing both physically and culturally, and doesn't cozy up to to the fringe. I'd be happy to consider that option.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2023, 01:09 PM   #5433
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
You're just making excuses now. You said they 'only' got 34% of the popular vote, and it means they need to change their polices.

Do the Liberals need to change their policies as well since they got less popular votes than the CPC did?
Old 03-22-2023, 01:14 PM   #5434
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Maybe that's true of some CP members, but I think you're underestimating that in the voter base.
I know a lot of people who voted CPC for the first time with O'Toole (myself included) and definitely won't vote for PP.

There's a lot of centrists who don't like Trudeau but can't go far right Conservative.
How many people have traditionally switched their votes from CPC to LP over the years? Not very many.

Fact is that most people are entrenched in who they vote for, and are very unlikely to change that vote regardless of what a party does or doesn't do.
Old 03-22-2023, 01:27 PM   #5435
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
How many people have traditionally switched their votes from CPC to LP over the years? Not very many.

Fact is that most people are entrenched in who they vote for, and are very unlikely to change that vote regardless of what a party does or doesn't do.
Last 3 elections for me have been CON - LIB - CON. Now I don't know who it will be, but it's really looking like it won't be CON for sure. Don't underestimate how many people are in the same boat, especially the younger demographics that don't follow their parents and don't play identity politics for life.
Old 03-22-2023, 01:36 PM   #5436
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

An interesting piece from former NDP leader, Tom Mulcair. Sums up JT's time as a PM who is a climate fighter as pretty much a total fraud. A good read.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/tom-...ange-1.6322061
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to curves2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2023, 02:01 PM   #5437
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You're just making excuses now.
No I wouldn’t do that, if for no other reason than I’d hate to steal your thunder in that area

Quote:
You said they 'only' got 34% of the popular vote, and it means they need to change their polices.
I sure did. When your party can only consistently rely on majority support in 2 provinces you need to start looking at why that is.

Quote:
Do the Liberals need to change their policies as well since they got less popular votes than the CPC did?
Yes absolutely they should, it’d be asinine to suggest otherwise. With that being said it’s pretty obvious that their policies very closely align with most of the NDP’s policies. So if you have 2 parties with similar platforms that combined are getting 50% more votes than you are running on a platform that doesn’t have a lot in common with theirs it strongly suggests that your policies need tweaking if you hope to persuade those voters to give you a chance.
Old 03-22-2023, 02:36 PM   #5438
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Frankly, the social conservative issue only gets bigger for me as time moves on and I would suspect that I'm not alone in that.
Yup.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2023, 03:22 PM   #5439
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

You say this like Harper was the source. Harper had a cabinet and PMO that kept that element in check, much to the displeasure of the party base.

Scheer got the leadership in part because he was willing to 'give a voice back to the grassroots' of the party, which were the same people they fought so hard to muzzle and relegate to the backbenches. Guys like Brad Trost who managed to finish fourth in that leadership election ahead of some prominent party members who had held cabinet positions. Follow it up with anti-abortion organizations propelling Leslyn Lewis to being a prominent party member. Also throw in an interim leader who is openly anti-abortion and voted in favor of an anti-abortion bill in 2021.

So if you're wondering why there's still the specter of abortion still haunts the CPC, it's because abortion is still a very important topic to a not-insignificant number of members of the CPC.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 04:25 PM   #5440
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1638656312170147842

This is getting awesome.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote