Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2023, 08:55 PM   #81
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I am guessing there must be some kind of grandfathering, like if someone is 62 and just retired, they aren't going to have to go back to work, because that would suck.

I am not sure something like this helps in the long run. In a couple years, all the people who would have retired sooner will be retiring anyway, and there are only so many jobs to go around. It kind of sucks for the whole work force because as people retire, others get to move up, and jobs open for young people at the bottom.
It phases in 3 months at a time for the next 8 years.

So this year people need to work until age 62 years 3 months. Next year 62 yrs 6mths, and so on.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2023, 09:14 PM   #82
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

The government in France is already a quarter of GDP, and ultimately a society can't consume more than it produces perpetually. If any generation (cough Boomers) didn't pay enough in to cover the pensions they promised themselves there's only 2 choices:

1) take less money, either per month or by starting later
2) get the next generation to pay for it.

(2) is historically the choice governments have liked better, but the population pyramid doesn't support that any more, and if you raised contributions a bunch I think you'd likely get big protests over that as well.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2023, 09:32 PM   #83
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
No, he’s saying he’s rich but has a bad credit score.
Listen, are you bozos gonna pony up for a $15 jerk job or what?
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2023, 10:14 PM   #84
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Inflation has gotten so bad that a pack of cigarettes in prison now costs two handjobs.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 12:11 PM   #85
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Likely a ginned-up protest that encompasses the usual grievance parade. Just like the Canadian Convoy protest really wasn't about pandemic measures.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 05:03 AM   #86
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Likely a ginned-up protest that encompasses the usual grievance parade. Just like the Canadian Convoy protest really wasn't about pandemic measures.
What was it about?
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 08:01 AM   #87
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Soiled diapers.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 10:03 AM   #88
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
So many responses, so many inappropriate responses, must resist temptation to deploy.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 10:30 AM   #89
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since this off the rails anyway, random question. I worked 7-8 years in Canada before moving to the US. Do I have cpp money put away somewhere that I can access at some point? Is there a way to see how much it is if so? It never really occurred to me before.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 10:36 AM   #90
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
Since this off the rails anyway, random question. I worked 7-8 years in Canada before moving to the US. Do I have cpp money put away somewhere that I can access at some point? Is there a way to see how much it is if so? It never really occurred to me before.
You would end up with a balance there and you could probably find out that value through Service Canada. I wouldn't count on that being a significant income or anything though!

Basically, if you have a valid contribution to the plan you are entitled to something though.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 10:36 AM   #91
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You should make a CRA account on www.canada.ca

You should be able to see your taxes paid over the years, including CPP. If you only work 7-8 years, when you retire you'll probably be entitled to about 12 bucks a month lol.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 10:55 AM   #92
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You do not. No. We need that.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2023, 11:49 AM   #93
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

I might be wrong, but I think you can do a very rough estimate by taking your contribution period vs. the max (39 yrs) and then your average earnings in those years vs. the max pensionable amount and then use that percentage against the maximum benefit (~$1,300/month) to get an idea of what you'd get.

So 7-8 years would be 18-20% of the period, then it's just a question of what % of the max your contributions were. If it was part-time work during high school/university it might be 15-30% of the max, or if it was full-time work in a career it might be more like 75-100%. If it was combination of both (say 50%), that would put you at about 10% of the max amount. That'd be $125-130/month in today's dollars starting at age 65.

But obviously there's a lot more that goes into it. As mentioned above, if you create a My Service Canada account, you can probably get a better idea.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 11:54 AM   #94
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
I might be wrong, but I think you can do a very rough estimate by taking your contribution period vs. the max (39 yrs) and then your average earnings in those years vs. the max pensionable amount and then use that percentage against the maximum benefit (~$1,300/month) to get an idea of what you'd get.

So 7-8 years would be 18-20% of the period, then it's just a question of what % of the max your contributions were. If it was part-time work during high school/university it might be 15-30% of the max, or if it was full-time work in a career it might be more like 75-100%. If it was combination of both (say 50%), that would put you at about 10% of the max amount. That'd be $125-130/month in today's dollars starting at age 65.

But obviously there's a lot more that goes into it. As mentioned above, if you create a My Service Canada account, you can probably get a better idea.
You could do that, but Service Canada can basically just give you the answer.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2023, 09:40 PM   #95
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
You could do that, but Service Canada can basically just give you the answer.
They give you the answer of how much CPP you would be entitled to if you stopped working today don’t they rather than the amount you would get if you continued working until X. (Which is what the OP was looking for)
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 07:01 AM   #96
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
They give you the answer of how much CPP you would be entitled to if you stopped working today don’t they rather than the amount you would get if you continued working until X. (Which is what the OP was looking for)
He’s out of the country and worked for 7-8 years. I think the question is what is he entitled to? That’s exactly what Service Canada will tell you.
Old 03-24-2023, 03:43 PM   #97
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unless there's a different CPP estimator from Service Canada than the one I'm familiar with, theirs is basically useless for this scenario because it assumes that your current % of max contributions in your career to date will continue going forward.

For someone who is out of the country and making zero contributions between now and then, that would significantly overestimate the benefit.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 02:18 PM   #98
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everything's fine dog vibes

https://twitter.com/user/status/1639779905230749698
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2023, 08:50 PM   #99
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Doesn’t matter what language that woman is speaking-he’s not listening.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 08:52 AM   #100
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just seems like nice ambience to me
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote