Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-15-2010, 02:53 PM   #201
SeeBass
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
I've known for awhile that it was only going to be a matter of time before I'd contributing to this thread. All that unconditional love comes with a pretty steep price.

Adios Dude. You were one hell of a dog.

After putting The Dude down, I drank a ton of beer and threw this together.

Thanks for sharing.
It takes time but after awhile your memories will bring more smiles than tears.
SeeBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 02:55 PM   #202
Suzles
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I've known for awhile that it was only going to be a matter of time before I'd contributing to this thread. All that unconditional love comes with a pretty steep price.

I am so very sorry for your loss. There were some truly beautiful photographs in the video and I hope that watching it gives you some comfort for all the joy Dude obviously brought into your life. I loved him jumping the benches in the park - he looked such an awesome dog.
Suzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 02:55 PM   #203
Vena
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

What a wonderful dog. Looks like there were a lot of great times. Beautiful video.
Vena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 03:44 PM   #204
Ramsayfarian
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Thanks for all the kind words people. I found creating that vid very therapeutic, not to say I didn't cry like a baby going through all my photos.

Putting him down was one of the toughest things I've ever had to do, but he clashed with my new couch.

Just kidding, bad jokes are a coping thing for me. He had cancer, hip issues and his kidneys had pretty much stopped working.

Thanks again everyone. BTW, I found Dude at the SPCA. I made the mistake of going whilst hungover. He caught my eye as he was the only dog in the place that wasn't barking. Had to wait a week until I could take him home, so I drove across town every day and hung with him for a few hours.

I picked him up the day they neutered him. He kind of looked at me like he was glad to see me, but was also pissed that I didn't pick him up before they operated on him.

The Dude abides.
Ramsayfarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 04:46 PM   #205
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't even watch that video, it's too hard. Sorry for your loss.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:06 PM   #206
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My cat has a swollen pad that is leaking blood and won't heal over. The vet says that it is due to a tumor on the paw. They are sending a sample to pathology to see if the tumour is cancerous. If it is cancerous, then the leg will need to be amputated and that surgery would cost $1,000.

If it is benign, it still needs surgery since it is leaking blood and could get infected. So at the least, the pad needs to come off, and that surgery isn't a whole lot less at $800.

And I DON'T have the cash flow to pay that kind of money. I'm tapped out completely solely on the tests they have done thus far.

The cat is 14 years old. I could see paying this kind of money on a cat that had it's whole life ahead of it. But I can't see justifying $800 on a cat that is in her later years.

In a way, I think it would be better on me if it WERE cancerous because I would feel like a total ass putting a cat down because I can't afford paw surgery. But on the other hand, I really, really can't afford the surgery and it would be wrong to make her walk on that tumor every day for the rest of her life.

Edit - I have had this discussion here and elsewhere before and the typical response has been "If you didn't have the money to pay for your pet's health care, you shouldn't have brought an animal into the home". But in this case, this cat was a stray that I took in 12 years ago (the vet at the time guestimated that she was 2). I think she has had a better life over those 12 years than if I left her roaming the streets. Maybe I could have put her in a shelter, but if so, she may have been put down 12 years ago.

Last edited by Devils'Advocate; 10-26-2010 at 04:10 PM.
Devils'Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:24 PM   #207
HeartsOfFire
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I feel you man. My brother's cat, that he got for his 10th birthday, had the same problem as he got older (12 years). Poor guy just started limping around everywhere on really bad days.

In our case, the tumour turned out to be benign, but it didn't matter much. It was just the first of a slew of problems that cascaded one after the other a year later. Medical procedures would have cost in the 4 figures, easily. At 12 years old, we couldn't justify it as a family. He was an ill cat from the get go. He had a heart murmur all his life, and we had to carefully monitor his diet as he was just on the cusp of feline diabetes, and he always wanted to eat. But he was always a sweetheart.

After I had moved out, a consensus was reached to put him down after the problems finally resulted in the destruction of some age old furniture via not having the strength to get to the litter box. Much to the anger of my brother.

I miss Basil.
HeartsOfFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:35 PM   #208
theonlywhiteout
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm so sorry for your loss Ramsay. I had to put down my beagle Barney 10 years ago due to cancer. I wish I could say time heals all wounds but I still can't talk about the day I put him down, I always winding up reliving the painful drive to the vet when I saw him for the last time. Just typing this made my stomache turn. Just remember that you gave your dog a wonderful life and that he loved you and was loyal to you until his last breath.
theonlywhiteout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:21 PM   #209
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

We lost a great friend yesterday, my hiking buddy of 12 years, Abby.

We thought we had one cancer surrounded and she was improving with the prognosis of another 18 to 24 months of quality life but a second, more aggressive cancer burst inside her, causing massive internal bleeding and overcoming her within days. We could have extended her life by a few more months with another operation but her quality of life would have been fairly poor so the choice was fairly clear and we elected to end her pain.

Hoist a glass to Abby and a life well-lived.

Below, Abby and the only home she ever knew . . . .

Abby, front, with Keeper, out river-walking in Threepoint Creek on a hot day . . . .

. . . . and always mischevious . . . .

Keeper and four cats are still with us. Keeper is a cancer survivor from two years ago.

Cowperson
Old 10-29-2010, 12:32 PM   #210
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

My deepest sympathy for you, Cowperson.

Thank you for sharing with us.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:35 PM   #211
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry to hear, I always enjoyed your photos of your furry friends.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:03 PM   #212
Suzles
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So very, very sorry. I follow your girls on their website. So sad.
Suzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:11 PM   #213
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

My condolances on your loss, Cowperson. Having grown up with dogs in the family I can appreciate how tough this loss is for you. Dogs become a part of ones family and they are greatly missed when they are gone.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:16 PM   #214
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Losing a pet is never easy, stay strong Cowperson.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:17 PM   #215
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

My condolances Cowperson. I really enjoy seeing the pictures of your dogs.

In the past I have said that in my next life I want to come back as one of your dogs. You gave your buddy a great life; she probably isn't even aware she is in heaven; because it probably doesn't seem all that different to her.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2010, 09:43 PM   #216
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Sorry about your loss, Rick. I hope Keeper doesn't get too sad.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:59 PM   #217
hayduke's dad
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Very tough to lose a pet. Especially after a long time with the family. To some people dogs are dogs but to people like us dogs become part of the family.

2 years ago my 10 year old lab was diagnosed with diabetes. We had a choice and we decided as long as she wasn't suffering we would try the 2 a days insulin and strict diet.

I figured if we got 3 or 4 months out of her. 2 years later she is still going strong. never lost her sight like most diabetic dogs. $300 a month but she is one of us.

Putting down a pet is the hardest thing to do and i am not looking forward to the day I have to make the choice for my Jesse
hayduke's dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:12 PM   #218
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry for your loss Cowperson. I'm sure your sorrow is shared with many long time members of CalgaryPuck. You have shared some great stories and pictures of Keeper and Abby through the years that it feels like they are also a part of this community.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:24 PM   #219
theonlywhiteout
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

this thread always breaks me up im sorry cowperson for your loss.
theonlywhiteout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 09:43 PM   #220
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Sorry about your loss, Rick. I hope Keeper doesn't get too sad.
Unfortunately, Keeper seems to sense what has happened and is showing every characteristic of depression . . . . . little energy or enthusiasm, staring vacuously into the distance for long periods, not noticing when you call her, laying around for long periods . . . . .

Later today we replaced her collar with Abby's, giving Keeper a sniff first, and that seemed to help.

They had been "sisters" for 11 years.

Keeper is a cancer survivor of two years but is also showing her age as well, very much the old hound dog, content to hang around the deck and woof at passing coyotes, deer and barking farm dogs. Her hips are making it difficult now for her to climb stairs and her days of long mountain walks are starting to recede.

Keeper, left, is missing Abby, her longtime buddy . . . . .

Cowperson