Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2019, 04:19 PM   #101
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
NYR would be my second choice if I had that option. And it’s not even close.
Yeah if I remove my "Flames Fan" bias my top 5 NHL cities I'd want to play in would be (in no order):

Nashville
New York
San Jose
Tampa Bay
Anaheim / L.A.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 04:22 PM   #102
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Yeah if I remove my "Flames Fan" bias my top 5 NHL cities I'd want to play in would be (in no order):

Nashville
New York
San Jose
Tampa Bay
Anaheim / L.A.
Florida?? Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 04:36 PM   #103
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Florida?? Really?
Anonymity, little taxes, and great weather. Tb seems to have at least enough pull to fill for the playoffs and enough people to never worry about being noticed in public. Seems pretty ideal to me.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 04:38 PM   #104
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Florida?? Really?
People there are crazy but I feel like most of the problems that Florida has can be overcome with the millions of dollars.

It has good weather, nice beaches, people won't recognize you on the street but they still have a fan base, and a consistently competitive team. Players that end up there tend to love it and stay there, so I'm guessing it's okay if you have money.

Plus I kind of eliminated the rest of Canada from my rankings. If I'm dealing with the Canadian media/fans it's to play in my hometown of Calgary (who were already removed) and really I hate the rest of the Canadian teams too much to want to play with them.

So with the Canadian teams eliminated who would I switch Tampa Bay with...only obvious one to me would be Vegas.

Boston - like the city but despise that cities sports teams for the most part

Minnesota, Denver, Buffalo -If I have to put up with ####ty weather I'll play for Calgary.

Arizona, Florida Panthers, Carolina - Be nice to have at least some team success and a fan base.

Dallas: Texas is no better than Florida

Pittsburgh, Detroit, Columbus: Decent teams historically but cities aren't amazing.

Chicago, St. Louis, Philly: Never been to any of these cities so I guess maybe but I'd need to do more research.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2019, 05:13 PM   #105
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

HAHA, Stupid JETS

His wife hates Winnipeg
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 05:41 PM   #106
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouw N Arrow View Post
HAHA, Stupid JETS

His wife hates Winnipeg
Considering he only had 2 teams he's willing to sign for, I really doubt this has anything specifically to do with Winnipeg.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 06:12 PM   #107
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
It's more than just the city. No one wants to be traded to the NYI. If you were living in a trendy place like Soho, you could get to Barclay's Center quicker than MSG. The franchise itself has a lot of appeal to hockey players.

They've only won one cup since the 1940s though. So it's hard to label them "competitive". The desirability of the team may work against them though. Having quality players constantly wanting to go there and fans always pouring in money may prevent a full scorched Earth rebuild.
Well, Soho is about halfway between the two, about 15-20m each way and if you play in Brooklyn you may as well live in the DUMBO. But the rest of Manhattan > Brooklyn still IMO. Plus, like you say, NYI are not as competitive year over year as NYR has been lately. Plus they've moved arenas what, three times?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 06:25 PM   #108
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually have to give Trouba some credit.

It sounds like he was pretty honest about his intentions for a long time. It's not like he slammed this on the Jets just before becoming a UFA. He gave them a lot of time to work it out.

I'm not sure I buy the fiance argument though. It feels like the rumours about Trouba have been around since he entered the league. Has he really been engaged that long, and has his fiance really known she had residency offers coming for years?

I think he is just using it as an excuse because he wants to play is a large U.S. market.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 06-18-2019 at 06:33 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamesAddiction For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2019, 06:49 PM   #109
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I actually have to give Trouba some credit.

It sounds like he was pretty honest about his intentions for a long time. It's not like he slammed this on the Jets just before becoming a UFA. He gave them a lot of time to work it out.

I'm not sure I buy the fiance argument though. It feels like the rumours about Trouba have been around since he entered the league. Has he really been engaged that long, and has his fiance really known she had residency offers coming for years?

I think he is just using it as an excuse because he wants to play is a large U.S. market.
Sounds more like an excuse Winnipeggers can hang onto, to make themselves feel better. The guy didn’t want to be there.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2019, 07:18 AM   #110
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Chevy held on too long here and got a bad return. I would think he could have got more at the deadline if they held onto him then. They also likely could have got more had they traded him back when he requested the movie initially instead of 1 year before UFA. Similar price as Muzzin but a far better player.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 07:54 AM   #111
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Considering he only had 2 teams he's willing to sign for, I really doubt this has anything specifically to do with Winnipeg.
Hilarious.
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:08 AM   #112
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouw N Arrow View Post
Hilarious.
I mean, I guess you know better than Darren Dreger. Yotes fans being so informed and passionate and all.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:03 AM   #113
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I mean, I guess you know better than Darren Dreger. Yotes fans being so informed and passionate and all.
TBH, I think most people know as much as Dreger. He's pretty much a regurgitator of news, or a wild speculator, especially since he lost his Leafs contact.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 11:09 AM   #114
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
TBH, I think most people know as much as Dreger. He's pretty much a regurgitator of news, or a wild speculator, especially since he lost his Leafs contact.
A supposed Pittsburgh Penguins insider said they made a better off to Chevy but Chevy told them about Troubas refusal to play anywhere but New York so the offer was rescinded.

I get that CP loves to make itself feel better by ####ting on Winnipeg any chance it gets, but this was a player looking to play for either the Rangers or Devils.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:13 AM   #115
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
A supposed Pittsburgh Penguins insider said they made a better off to Chevy but Chevy told them about Troubas refusal to play anywhere but New York so the offer was rescinded.

I get that CP loves to make itself feel better by ####ting on Winnipeg any chance it gets, but this was a player looking to play for either the Rangers or Devils.
Trouba had a NTC?
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 11:17 AM   #116
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Trouba had a NTC?
No. Trouba and his slimeball agent told the Jets that he only sign with 2 clubs (one being Rangers, the other likely Devils but maybe Islanders or Flyers). Trouba was willing to sit out, refuse to sign a deal, and wait out the year to his UFA if need be.

Now, Chevy is still at fault for letting it get to this. Everyone knew for years that Trouba wanted to play in the States only... and he waited it out and boxed himself in. No excuse there. On the other hand, Trouba wanting to play in the New York area is understandable. I think the Jets should have made him sit out and try and extract a better trade.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:20 AM   #117
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Watching Arizona and Winnipeg fans fight each other is like watching two toothless hillbillies argue over who is more attractive.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2019, 11:27 AM   #118
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_V9uQrquZWo
Old 06-19-2019, 11:29 AM   #119
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Watching Arizona and Winnipeg fans fight each other is like watching two toothless hillbillies argue over who is more attractive.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:39 AM   #120
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote