Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2013, 08:26 AM   #601
TheGrimm
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Well some trial and error and I think I figured it out.

I plugged the 50 foot Redmere cable into a monitor and it worked. I then plugged it into my new Sony HX850 and it worked too.

Looks like it is my 2008 XBR that is the issue. Which is weird because I have a 6' Redmere plugged into that one and works fine. I do remember a 15' Redmere I tried to use on it last year and didn't work either. Yet a 30' Redmere I bought as well does work. Truly bazzare.

I'll chaulk it up to an "old" tv that is finicky with some cables. I do think I should buy my Panasonic VT before I finish the walls just to be sure though.

If it fails I think I will order a 22AWG HDMI and just drill huge holes.
A couple of things..

I've used the HDMI over CAT6 from Monoprice for distances >50 ft and it worked fine. It sounds like your TV may just require a stronger signal then the one you are getting through the cable. It may require a booster, some HDMI splitters also amplify signal, so you may want to try installing one to test. If you still have the walls open, install a pair of CAT6 cables between both points regardless of whether you end up using them, you can just leave them in the walls without terminating them, and that way you can always switch to the CAT6 solution in the future if you need to. CAT6 is cheap and it's always better to have a fallback plan.
TheGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheGrimm For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2013, 09:18 AM   #602
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrimm View Post
A couple of things..

I've used the HDMI over CAT6 from Monoprice for distances >50 ft and it worked fine. It sounds like your TV may just require a stronger signal then the one you are getting through the cable. It may require a booster, some HDMI splitters also amplify signal, so you may want to try installing one to test. If you still have the walls open, install a pair of CAT6 cables between both points regardless of whether you end up using them, you can just leave them in the walls without terminating them, and that way you can always switch to the CAT6 solution in the future if you need to. CAT6 is cheap and it's always better to have a fallback plan.
Thanks, this is exactly what I am going to end up doing.

My basement isn't any where complete. Still down to the studs since it was flooded in June. However, that should change in the next month or so.

Another question, did you end up using the Monoprice HDMI/Cat6 conversion boxes? Or did you get one from another store?

I ask because I bought the ones from MemEx, and although they worked they had a 1 second lag.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:36 AM   #603
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

1 second lag isn't a big deal for movies and TV, a decent receiver should let you set an audio delay so you can match the video lag.

Would make video games hard to play though.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:43 PM   #604
TheGrimm
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Thanks, this is exactly what I am going to end up doing.

My basement isn't any where complete. Still down to the studs since it was flooded in June. However, that should change in the next month or so.

Another question, did you end up using the Monoprice HDMI/Cat6 conversion boxes? Or did you get one from another store?

I ask because I bought the ones from MemEx, and although they worked they had a 1 second lag.
Hmm, sounds like the box you were looking at was one that streams HDMI signal over a network and not just an HDMI over CAT6 solution. You will want to make sure you get the latter as it will give you the best fidelity and quality overall.

This is the one I used:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

It requires 2 CAT6 cables to operate.
TheGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheGrimm For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2013, 02:25 PM   #605
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If you want rock solid HDMI over Cat 5/6 connections over long distances, and using just one Ethernet cable you need this:

HD BaseT units, and come with 100 mbps switch built in.

I have 5 of these in my house for A/V distribution and they work great. They are cheap but highly recommended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrimm View Post
Hmm, sounds like the box you were looking at was one that streams HDMI signal over a network and not just an HDMI over CAT6 solution. You will want to make sure you get the latter as it will give you the best fidelity and quality overall.

This is the one I used:

It requires 2 CAT6 cables to operate.
oilyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oilyfan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2013, 07:30 PM   #606
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilyfan View Post
If you want rock solid HDMI over Cat 5/6 connections over long distances, and using just one Ethernet cable you need this:

HD BaseT units, and come with 100 mbps switch built in.

I have 5 of these in my house for A/V distribution and they work great. They are cheap but highly recommended.
Great thanks. I am going to run 2 x Cat 6 in the walls just in case. I figure when 4K rolls around I may need the extra for bandwidth.

These looks awesome though, I'll keep them in mind.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:05 PM   #607
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So I have run my 5.1 and TV from receiver to TV on a 50ft wall run.

I hooked up my Monoprice 14 gauge speaker cable, Redmere 50ft HDMI, and for backup 2 Cat6 cables.

Now for the most important question. Is there any Panasonic VT or ZT owners here? I have read the reviews and it sounds like the VT will work fine in a dark room to the same level as a ZT. However, I hear the VT (and maybe the ZT) have 2 fans on the back that some say are loud.

If anyone has either of these models, care to comment? I will be looking at the 65" model.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:15 PM   #608
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just picked up a Sony STR-DN1040 receiver.

My plan was to get it from the States and have it shipped to Montana with some other stuff I have getting shipped there because I could never find it on sale in Canada.

Randomly checked around today and noticed Memory Express of all places had it on sale for $599, (which is the US price), so I quickly went a picked one up.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX45474

(edit: looks like they've sold out already)

Pretty pumped about it, from all the reading I have been doing it is an excellent receiver for the price point.

Now, just need to actually finish my basement.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:26 PM   #609
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

^ ya I have that receiver and is is excellent. Super easy setup, a rainbow of inputs, sound is solid. US is way better price, but at $600 it is a solid investment.
The Following User Says Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2013, 02:54 PM   #610
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

http://www.samsung.com/au/consumer/t...UA60F7100AMXXY

looking at getting the Samsung 7100. I already bought the F8000 today its 600 more and I thought for sure it was better, but the more I looked at them in store, picture vs picture, it just doesn't seem to justify the cost.

Does anyone have a 7100 they can shed some light on this for? I don't do more gaming vs movies vs tv vs sports.. I kinda do all of that stuff equally.
Well, deal with it. I wasn't cheering for Canada either way. Nothing worse than arrogant Canadian fans. They'd be lucky to finish 4th. Quote me on that. They have a bad team and that is why I won't be cheering for them.
Brannigans Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:04 AM   #611
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've pretty much got everything now for my new mega basement theatre except a BluRay player and a Sub and was looking for some help with those 2.

I was thinking of the Samsung BD-F7500 for the BR as it does 4K upscaling and my new projector and screen both do 4K resolution. Any thoughts on this player or suggestions for another one?

In terms of a sub, I have done zero research for one. I'm not looking to spend thousands on some Martin Logan masterpiece, but I don't want a $99 special either - something under $500 would be my preference if possible. Probably a 12 for size and something that will work great for movies.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:34 PM   #612
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

Don't want to start a new and figured this is as good a place as any. I want to have a wireless speaker setup controlled from my computer, that will go over wifi and connect to 2 sets of speakers on the top floor.

I don't really know how to go about this though, airplay or what. I also wouldn't mind being able to play things from my android phone either. Any thoughts or suggestions?

edit: I guess I'm looking for something that I can daisy chain maybe?

Setup would be something like... my itunes library on my PC > Wifi >
speaker #1
speaker #2

etc. and they're all synced to the same audio source of course.
Well, deal with it. I wasn't cheering for Canada either way. Nothing worse than arrogant Canadian fans. They'd be lucky to finish 4th. Quote me on that. They have a bad team and that is why I won't be cheering for them.

Last edited by Brannigans Law; 11-11-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:41 PM   #613
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brannigans Law View Post
I don't really know how to go about this though, airplay or what. I also wouldn't mind being able to play things from my android phone either. Any thoughts or suggestions?
If you want the anroid to work to, you could get a basic bluetooth receiver.

I love airplay (seems to be less buggy than other sources), but only good in the apple ecosystem.

No idea how good this one is, but a basic idea of what I'm talking about:
http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F8Z492/

Nm - not sure if that'll work for your edited info...
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:48 PM   #614
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm actually a big fan of itunes so I don't necessarily see a downside with airplay.

In theory. In theory communism works.

edit: actually that's a really neat device you linked.

Last edited by Brannigans Law; 11-11-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:55 PM   #615
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm actually a big fan of itunes so I don't necessarily see a downside with airplay.
Yeah I primarily use itunes in the house so airplay is awesome for my setup.

Although I ended up getting a bluetooth unit for in the garage since it seemed silly to get an apple tv for out there. 1/3 of the price for the same basic idea (if it's just for audio).
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:01 PM   #616
J Diddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Don't want to start a new and figured this is as good a place as any. I want to have a wireless speaker setup controlled from my computer, that will go over wifi and connect to 2 sets of speakers on the top floor.

edit: I guess I'm looking for something that I can daisy chain maybe?

Setup would be something like... my itunes library on my PC > Wifi >
speaker #1
speaker #2

etc. and they're all synced to the same audio source of course.
Have you ever looked at Sonos or Apple's Airport Express?
J Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:10 PM   #617
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Diddy View Post
Have you ever looked at Sonos or Apple's Airport Express?
I'm looking at Sonos now and it looks very interesting. Very interesting.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:25 PM   #618
J Diddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I'm looking at Sonos now and it looks very interesting. Very interesting.
It is awesome but expensive.
J Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J Diddy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2013, 05:36 PM   #619
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anyone do any kind of sound proofing? Green Glue? Quiet Rock? Resilient Channels? Between my guitar and home theatre I'd like to mitigate the amount of noise I make.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:33 AM   #620
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Diddy View Post
It is awesome but expensive.
Have you had a chance to see the Bose versions of this stuff?