Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 10:32 AM   #101
alltherage
Missed the bus

Exp:

nm
Old 06-12-2007, 11:19 AM   #102
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
Samsung also apparently has these LED DLP TVs out now that don't even have the lamp life problems of previous DLP TVs. I'm still doing some research on what TV I want to get - I'm leaning towards a 40' Samsung LCD at this point in time but I wouldn't mind checking out a few decent DLPs as well.
The LED sets look promising IMO as well. Some forums I visit talk about an even newer Laser DLP technology on the way? It's nothing I've heard of personally - I'm sure my children will enjoy it.

Also - DLP isn't susceptible to burn in.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:34 AM   #103
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnedTheCorner View Post
The LED sets look promising IMO as well. Some forums I visit talk about an even newer Laser DLP technology on the way? It's nothing I've heard of personally - I'm sure my children will enjoy it.

Also - DLP isn't susceptible to burn in.
There's a few different laser/led technologies. One LEDs replacing the lamp, one with laser's replacing the lamp and colourwheel. Another where the LCD flatpanel, but replacing the backlight with white LEDs. All are a year or two away from hitting retail channels (at least that was the last estimate I read)
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 06-13-2007, 11:18 AM   #104
Log
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Need some help here.

I have an opportunity to pick up either a 42" Plasma for $1200 or 50" Plasma for $2100. Both are brand new Panasonics. Not sure on the model number or anything.

Does anyone know if all Panasonic Plasma's come in full 1080p resolution?

Thanks for any help.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:44 PM   #105
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

For sure not. It's probably these ones:

http://www.panasonic.ca/english/audi...specs_px75.asp

Some of them are, but only 50" ones or larger.

http://www.panasonic.ca/english/audi...asma/index.asp
Old 06-17-2007, 12:13 AM   #106
Cerebral
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm still debating which direction I should go in for a TV - I pretty much have three options:

1. Buy a decent 46-56' DLP TV - it won't be 1080p but it should still be decent enough.

2. Buy a decent 37' LCD TV - again, likely not 1080p.

3. Save up and buy a 40' LCD TV (likely a Samsung model that is 1080p).

I'm tempted to go the DLP route due to the price but I'd be curious to hear what others think. Size isn't really an issue for me, I'd ideally like something around 40' or so but a little bigger or smaller wouldn't be a huge deal.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:29 AM   #107
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
I'm still debating which direction I should go in for a TV - I pretty much have three options:

1. Buy a decent 46-56' DLP TV - it won't be 1080p but it should still be decent enough.

2. Buy a decent 37' LCD TV - again, likely not 1080p.

3. Save up and buy a 40' LCD TV (likely a Samsung model that is 1080p).

I'm tempted to go the DLP route due to the price but I'd be curious to hear what others think. Size isn't really an issue for me, I'd ideally like something around 40' or so but a little bigger or smaller wouldn't be a huge deal.
DLP's are cheaper for a reason, the LCD will give you the better picture and no restrictions on viewing angle. you should just go to a store though and look at some, you may find the viewing angle not that much of an annoyance
Old 06-17-2007, 11:41 AM   #108
Cerebral
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
DLP's are cheaper for a reason, the LCD will give you the better picture and no restrictions on viewing angle. you should just go to a store though and look at some, you may find the viewing angle not that much of an annoyance
Yeah, viewing angle is something that I'm not really all that concerned with. I'll primarily be using the TV for a PS3, hockey and movies which will likely all be observed from almost straight-on.

I've scoped out a bunch of TVs at the store so far - the best I've seen is a 40' Samsung LCD that is 1080p (I forget the model number but I know it's a brand new TV) but it's a little outside of my price range at $2300.

Is this image quality very different between a LCD and DLP outside of viewing angle?
Old 06-21-2007, 11:50 PM   #109
LockedOut
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm so tempted to buy this. According to people at Red Flag Deals this TV from Westinghouse has gotten good reviews. Anyone have any opinions or has this set.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...gon=&langid=EN
Old 06-22-2007, 01:51 PM   #110
Cerebral
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockedOut View Post
I'm so tempted to buy this. According to people at Red Flag Deals this TV from Westinghouse has gotten good reviews. Anyone have any opinions or has this set.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...gon=&langid=EN
Woh, that's dirt cheap. I'd be curious to hear any thoughts on this TV as well.

Last edited by Cerebral; 06-24-2007 at 06:00 PM.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:10 AM   #111
Antithesis
Disenfranchised

Exp:

Wow, that is super cheap ... interesting to hear that it's received good reviews as well ...
Old 06-28-2007, 01:29 PM   #112
Finner
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I bought a 37 inch Envision from futureshop for $700 and it has been absolutely awesome. Its only 1080i, but the picture looks great, got tons of plugins for my xbox, wii, dvd player. It also came with a cable to plug into my laptop and computer so i can watch movies off my computer.

Great investment, no problems since i've had it for about 3 months. Extremely light weight and very favorable reviews before i bought it.

I'm looking at seeing if i can find a bigger envision lcd.

I would definately recommend it.

The 32 inch (looks the same, same specs) is on for $600 at futureshop right now. You can see it here:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...10078597&catid=
Old 07-05-2007, 10:51 AM   #113
GoFlamesGo
First Line Centre

Exp:

I purchased a Samsung 1080P 52'' Widescreen LCD from Futureshop yesterday and have decided to go with the HDPVR with Bell. This is the first time I'll be setting up an HDTV. I’m a newb to all this and hope some of you guys can give me some tips/advice/best practices:

1. Would you consider getting the Product Service Plan on this lcd tv? ? I think Futureshop charges $499 for 2 years. I’m usually the kind of guy who always cheaps out of this kind of stuff, but since this is a pretty high-end tv, do you guys recommend it?

2. The sales guy highly recommended the Monster Power outlet. Is this really necessary? The unit he was trying to push to me was about $215.

3. Do I have to purchase HDMI cables to hook up the HDPRV to the tv? If so, where’s the best/cheapest place to get this kind of stuff. I know retail stores have a huge markup on these things.

4. Is there anything else that I would need to get this going?

5. Would you guys rather rent or purchase the 9200 HDPVR terminal with Bell? I'm going to need 2 of these units. The units cost $600/ each to buy or $20/ month/ each to rent. $1200 is a lot of money to dish out for 2 units, but paying an extra $40/ month to rent the terminals is pretty pricey too. I'm leaning towards buying the units because the rental fees will pretty much pay itself off in a little over 2 years. Then, I was doing some research last night and Bell is supposedly releasing a new HDPVR (MPEG-4) unit later this year. I really don't know what to do.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by GoFlamesGo; 07-05-2007 at 10:57 AM.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:31 AM   #114
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFlamesGo View Post
I purchased a Samsung 1080P 52'' Widescreen LCD from Futureshop yesterday and have decided to go with the HDPVR with Bell. This is the first time I'll be setting up an HDTV. I’m a newb to all this and hope some of you guys can give me some tips/advice/best practices:

1. Would you consider getting the Product Service Plan on this lcd tv? ? I think Futureshop charges $499 for 2 years. I’m usually the kind of guy who always cheaps out of this kind of stuff, but since this is a pretty high-end tv, do you guys recommend it?

2. The sales guy highly recommended the Monster Power outlet. Is this really necessary? The unit he was trying to push to me was about $215.

3. Do I have to purchase HDMI cables to hook up the HDPRV to the tv? If so, where’s the best/cheapest place to get this kind of stuff. I know retail stores have a huge markup on these things.

4. Is there anything else that I would need to get this going?

5. Would you guys rather rent or purchase the 9200 HDPVR terminal with Bell? I'm going to need 2 of these units. The units cost $600/ each to buy or $20/ month/ each to rent. $1200 is a lot of money to dish out for 2 units, but paying an extra $40/ month to rent the terminals is pretty pricey too. I'm leaning towards buying the units because the rental fees will pretty much pay itself off in a little over 2 years. Then, I was doing some research last night and Bell is supposedly releasing a new HDPVR (MPEG-4) unit later this year. I really don't know what to do.

Thanks in advance.
My thoughts

1. I'd consider it but it's usually thought of as not a good deal.

2.Anything labeled Monster is usually overpriced.

3.You can use component cables instead. I'm not sure what cables Bell supplies with their 9200. I can't remember the name but there is a cable store in the notheast that has good prices, otherwise a computer store should have something cheaper than futureshop. Internet stores are also a good option. Monoprice has a good reputation and very cheap prices.

http://monoprice.com/home/index.asp

4. A good stereo?

5.Tough question.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:14 PM   #115
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Picked up a 37" Sharp Aquos after dinner tonight and am very happy with it so far. I did alot of reading up in the past few days and am not sure if 1080p is worth the price for me.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:53 AM   #116
GoFlamesGo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thanks for responding Vulcan.

I went to Monoprice and picked up a bunch of HDMI wires for less then $5 each with shipping!

I'm still having a very tough time deciding if I should Rent or Buy the Bell HD PRV system. Who here rents or owns the receivers?
Old 07-09-2007, 11:14 AM   #117
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I own. Mainly because I keep my receivers for more than 2 years.

Keep in mind the rental is like leasing a car- not like renting a telephone like back in the AGT days. When a newer better midel comes out it's not like you can switch. Whereas if you own the receiver you can sell it privately when the new model comes out.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:39 AM   #118
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFlamesGo View Post
Thanks for responding Vulcan.

I went to Monoprice and picked up a bunch of HDMI wires for less then $5 each with shipping!

I'm still having a very tough time deciding if I should Rent or Buy the Bell HD PRV system. Who here rents or owns the receivers?
I don't follow the market for the 9200 but you may be able to pick up a used one or two. If you go this route, check with Bell, before laying your money down, that there is no money or monthly charges owing against the STB. You'll need the serial number. This way you may not have to sign up for two years but you may have to pay for installation and a start up fee. Maybe buy or rent one from Bell so you get their deals, such as free installation, and buy the second used.

Another suggestion is to turn down the TV from vivid mode and maybe buy or rent a set up disc such as Digital Video Essentials.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:30 PM   #119
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

I read that from 8 feet away or more on a TV that is 50" or less the human eye can't detect the difference between 1080p and 720p. Any truth to this?

I have a 37" Sharp Aquos (720p) and my friend ha s 42" Samsung (1080p) and I can't tell the difference from where we sit (Appx 10' at both houses). As a matter of fact (may be biased towards my own gear) I think my TV has a better picture when watching HD content and playing HD video games.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:45 PM   #120
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yeah there's quite a bit of info on viewing distance..

http://www.myhometheater.homestead.c...alculator.html

I've heard minimums of 2x diagonal for HD content, and 3x diagonal for SD content. Of course it also depends on if you are trying to go as big as possible without it looking crappy, or as small as possible and still benifit from the higher resolution.
Closed Thread