Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2007, 09:50 PM   #1
burnin_vernon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Reformatting without XP Disk

I'm trying to reformat my sisters pc. She has a legit copy of XP preloaded with the serial no. sticker but she was not given an installation disk when she bought it.

I don't know what brand it is (think she bought it from London Drugs) but was wondering how to reformat this without the disk. I've done some googling but cannot seem to find a straightforward answer.

I have a generic copy of xp (from a torrent site or something) and tried using her serial with it, but an error message told us we had the wrong serial number.
burnin_vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 10:30 PM   #2
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

You'd probably need an OEM copy of XP, then it should accept the serial # she has.

Oh and moved to the correct forum.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:04 PM   #3
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

My experience; the copy of Windows will only work with certain keys. So if for example you have a Dell PC with a Dell Windows key, you would need to use a Dell XP CD.

Another option- IIRC you can contact Microsoft and pay a small fee to get a replacement copy of Windows.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 11:11 PM   #4
maverickstruth
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Very often, systems will have the XP "restore" (ie. formatting, reinstall, etc.) on a hidden partition of the drive rather than shipping with a separate installation disk. Check the manufacturer's website support section to see if they have the details on how to access it, or do a search to check if this machine is a partition-based one.
maverickstruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 08:25 AM   #5
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

I freaking HATE the restore partition. Notebook computers don't even come with an OEM disk anymore. So when I switched to a larger, faster HD in my Thinkpad, I had to call IBM and get them to send me the disks.

And even then, the disks only create a restore partition! I was hoping for a fresh re-install without the trial-ware, but no such luck.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote