Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2019, 09:43 AM   #2081
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why is Global Entry not recognized in Canada?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:46 AM   #2082
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
I travel a lot and I’ve never had to wait at customs. Come in, put the slip into the machine and walk out. Each and every time. The Nexus line only has a few machines so when it’s backed up you are likely to get through the normal
Side quicker because over the past few years the Nexus card has become some sort of middle class status symbol. Every house wife and their dog now has one.

In my personal opinion I think you should have to have documented proof that you travel internationally ten times a year to even qualify for one.
Why? Should you have to travel 10 times before an airline allows you to buy a first class seat?

If the program's fees aren't enough to cover the costs of establishing an efficient expedited traveler program then maybe the fees need to go up?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 09:36 AM   #2083
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

WestJet announces new services to Portland and Austin:

• For non-stop flights between Calgary and Austin, travel 2x weekly from May 2 to October 24th, 2019.
  • For non-stop flights between Calgary and Portland, travel daily from April 29th to October 26th, 2019.
https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/trave...:hero1:routes:routes-01282019-Newinournetwork

Oh and the London-Gatwick flight goes daily from April 28th to October 26th.

Last edited by Bigtime; 01-28-2019 at 09:48 AM.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2019, 11:34 AM   #2084
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post

• For non-stop flights between Calgary and Austin, travel 2x weekly from May 2 to October 24th, 2019.
  • For non-stop flights between Calgary and Portland, travel daily from April 29th to October 26th, 2019.
https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/trave...:hero1:routes:routes-01282019-Newinournetwork

Just long enough to cover both weekends of Austin City Limits! (but not SXSW)
Old 01-28-2019, 04:26 PM   #2085
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post

Too bad my summer plans are already made. Hope they keep it for next year as well.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 04:57 PM   #2086
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

So what's the general consensus on WestJet vs Air Canada these days? I had used WestJet exclusively for north american travel for years, but became less and less impressed with their quality of service. So after having some good experiences with AC on international flights I decided to try them out for my flight to Toronto for a training course, and now I don't think I'll be going back to WestJet anytime soon. AC was cheaper, had better departure/arrival times, their mobile app for checking in and electronic boarding pass worked without issue, and printing out my bag tag and getting it checked with an agent took a whole 2 minutes (WestJet has made me sit in the standard check-in line to tag bags on more than one occasion). Add in a full in-flight entertainment system for no charge and AC just seems way ahead of the game for flying enjoyment

So has Air Canada improved enough while WestJet has declined that they're in front now, or have I just been really lucky?
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2019, 05:25 PM   #2087
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
So has Air Canada improved enough while WestJet has declined that they're in front now, or have I just been really lucky?
I used both WestJet and Air Canada last year for flights to the US, and they were very similar:
- Both had issues at check-in
- Both planes were dirtier than I would have liked
- Both had delays leaving the airport
- Both had pleasant attendants on the flights
- Both offered mediocre snacks

The entertainment system on Air Canada was the big difference to me. Both flights were 3+ hours long, so plenty of time to watch a movie. I'm not watching a movie on my phone...there's nowhere to put my phone in the seat back so I'm stuck holding it the whole time. Air Canada had great selection for stuff to watch between movies, documentaries and TV shows. I just played video games on the WestJet flight instead. Considering most flights are the same price between the two carriers, I would take Air Canada right now when I have a choice.

I also took Air Canada overseas last year and was very impressed with the flight and the service. I'm definitely curious to see how WestJet handles the increased service pressures with their new premium economy and business classes on the 787 when it starts doing long haul flights.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 05:35 PM   #2088
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I flew both West Jet and Air Canada my last time in the country and they are both crap compared to other airlines around the world. West Jet has great customer service but it feels like flying on a budget airline while paying a non-budget price. Air Canada has a mostly enjoyable flying experience but you better pray nothing goes wrong because their customer service is horrendous.

When it comes to flying in Canada my choice of West Jet vs Air Canada always comes down to which one is offering me the best price at my required time.
Old 02-04-2019, 06:09 PM   #2089
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
I flew both West Jet and Air Canada my last time in the country and they are both crap compared to other airlines around the world. West Jet has great customer service but it feels like flying on a budget airline while paying a non-budget price. Air Canada has a mostly enjoyable flying experience but you better pray nothing goes wrong because their customer service is horrendous.

When it comes to flying in Canada my choice of West Jet vs Air Canada always comes down to which one is offering me the best price at my required time.

I'll take either over any of the American carriers. I've also done trips to Asia on Cathay Pacific, ANA, Air China, and Air Canada, and Air Canada was by far the best experience
Old 02-04-2019, 06:10 PM   #2090
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'll take either over any of the American carriers. I've also done trips to Asia on Cathay Pacific, ANA, Air China, and Air Canada, and Air Canada was by far the best experience
As someone who actually likes Air Canada, ANA and Cathay smash Air Canada.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 06:14 PM   #2091
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Air Canada is fine until something goes wrong. Then it's a big ol' FU, we already got your money.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2019, 06:48 PM   #2092
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

EDIT: Nevermind

Last edited by Mazrim; 02-04-2019 at 06:52 PM.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 06:53 PM   #2093
vegasbound
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Air Canada is fine until something goes wrong. Then it's a big ol' FU, we already got your money.

Pretty much my experience as well. I do end up flying WJ most of the time just because it usually works out the best as far as dates/times but every time I fly AC I just pray nothing goes wrong.
vegasbound is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vegasbound For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2019, 09:28 PM   #2094
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
As someone who actually likes Air Canada, ANA and Cathay smash Air Canada.

On both Cathay and ANA I got stuck with older airplanes with crap entertainment systems. With Air Canada on the Calgary > Tokyo direct flight both times were on a brand new plane, and everything else (food, service, etc) was on par or better, so I gave them the edge. The only issue I've had when flying overseas was missing a connection in Hong Kong, which was the fault of the booking agent (do NOT book stuff through itravel2000, they suck), so I can't really comment on the support side of things
Old 02-04-2019, 09:43 PM   #2095
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Air Canada’s customer service is unbelievably bad. Cartoonishly awful. Like they are putting in extra effort to be ####ty to you. If something goes wrong Air Canada should be paying you to fly with them is how it feels.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2019, 09:51 PM   #2096
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
On both Cathay and ANA I got stuck with older airplanes with crap entertainment systems. With Air Canada on the Calgary > Tokyo direct flight both times were on a brand new plane, and everything else (food, service, etc) was on par or better, so I gave them the edge. The only issue I've had when flying overseas was missing a connection in Hong Kong, which was the fault of the booking agent (do NOT book stuff through itravel2000, they suck), so I can't really comment on the support side of things
But they have such a catchy jingle!
Old 02-05-2019, 07:44 AM   #2097
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Air Canada knocked it out of the freaking park on our YYC-YVR-MEX-YVR-YYC trip after Christmas. Due to the YVR-MEX flight getting its times changed we had an 11 hour layover in YVR on the way home. We were going to simply check in with customer service upon arriving in YVR to see about getting on an earlier flight. Well two days before we were leaving Mexico City my phone rings and it is Air Canada, they say "We notice you have a long layover in Vancouver, can we bump you up to an earlier flight no charge?". Yup no problem, moved to an earlier flight with only a two hour layover, app updates our flights in minutes and we are good to go. Then when we get to Vancouver another agent there sees we are making good time and asks if we'd like to go standby on an earlier flight, so we go for it and get on in premium economy no less. Cabin crews were really friendly and attentive on all flights as well.

I'll be trying out WestJet and their 787 this summer and am really looking forward to the product they will be presenting on it.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 07:49 AM   #2098
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I suspect it was more becuase they oversold flights later in the day, and someone was scrambling to see which passengers could be moved to earlier flights to save their asses than it was going out of their way to do something nice for you.

Why yes, I am a bit cynical.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2019, 11:08 AM   #2099
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I'm an Air Canada fan, they are my preferred airline, to the point I don't generally even check WestJet's prices.

My reasoning:

Flying out of YQY, the schedule for Air Canada is far better. Air Canada's winter schedule has 4 flights to YHZ per day, compared to one for WestJet; Air Canada also has a daily flight to YYZ. The summer schedule, WestJet does add another flight to Halifax, and a flight to Toronto; but Air Canada adds a second Toronto flight.

So schedule is one benefit.

IRROPS

Living on the East Coast, if there's a flight issue the ability to correct is far easier for Air Canada. When I had my WestJet flight to Calgary cancelled a few years ago on my way to Las Vegas, I had to fly to St. John's as it was the only flight left that day, spend the night in Newfoundland, then connect in Toronto. If I was on Air Canada, there were at least 12 other flights going west, which would have allowed me to avoid the storm.

Fleet variance. As an avgeek I like to fly on different planes. Air Canada allows me to do that. With WestJet I'm either on a 737 or Q400. Granted there are several variances of the 737, but it's not the same as getting on a 767, then E75, or Q400, or 321 or 787 or whatever.

Customer Service. While it seems most have different experiences, I've had more poor experiences with WestJet customer service and not really any on Air Canada. IRROPS with Air Canada has been fantastic, but WestJet horrible.

I also had an Encore flight time jump around, where it was delayed, delayed, delayed, back to original departure time (after I ordered in the restaurant). That was really annoying.

IFE is better on Air Canada, even if you're like me and don't really watch the movies, the interactive map makes the flight more enjoyable.

I like the odd ability to upgrade, I've had very low level status on Air Canada a few times, and the ability to use eUps to get business class is nice.

That said, the upgrade to Plus from YHZ to YYZ is far cheaper than purchasing the upgrade at check-in with Air Canada, but despite the flight being 2 hours, there is no food service.

All that said, a lot of my analysis is from the perspective of someone living next to a regional airport on the East Coast. Living in Calgary, I'd imagine WestJet would have the best ability to solve IRROPS, and have a better ability to fix customer service issues.

I will admit, I've had good WestJet customer service, and I do prefer the Q400 from YHZ to YQY rather than a Dash 8-100 or -300.

That's my experience, but with any airline some have great experiences (my United experience was fantastic, above and beyond) and others will hate it.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2019, 11:47 AM   #2100
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
ANA from Vancouver to Tokyo is all 787s. How long ago did you fly this? Cathay's fleet is aging, that's for sure but their entertainment system was fine when I flew them.

Also, AC 9 was a 787 at the start, then it switched to mostly 767 and then they pretty much killed it.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
go flames go , say no to yeg , tunnel of death , yyc