Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2016, 06:39 AM   #1201
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLeeMC View Post
So my wife and I are in a fairly heated argument concerning vaccines. I didn't want to wade thru 50+ pages of this thread for reasons why we Should vaccinate and wasnt sure a new thread is needed, could someone put it in bullet form? She has recently started Reiki(dont really know much about it but she enjoys it). It's great that she enjoys it but now after talking to the people in her Reiki circle she's all anti-vax. She says that vaccines are manufactured and brings up her point (from the book Anastasia by Vladimir Megre)

"fruits are designed to sustain man's life. More powerfully and effectively than any manufactured drugs of the present or future, these fruits are capable of counteracting and withstanding any disease of the human body."

I just don't really know where to start with her, it seems everything I say is just in one ear out the other...Also her other argument is she "feels" its not right(what a garbage argument, I know).
Tell her that you're open to being convinced by any arguments she may have but since she is the one who is going against (presumably) your child's doctor's advice, the onus is on her to prove to you that vaccines cause autism. If you aren't convinced, you stick with the doctor's advice.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2016, 07:14 AM   #1202
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So my wife and I are in a fairly heated argument concerning vaccines. I didn't want to wade thru 50+ pages of this thread for reasons why we Should vaccinate and wasnt sure a new thread is needed, could someone put it in bullet form? She has recently started Reiki(dont really know much about it but she enjoys it). It's great that she enjoys it but now after talking to the people in her Reiki circle she's all anti-vax. She says that vaccines are manufactured and brings up her point (from the book Anastasia by Vladimir Megre)

"fruits are designed to sustain man's life. More powerfully and effectively than any manufactured drugs of the present or future, these fruits are capable of counteracting and withstanding any disease of the human body."

I just don't really know where to start with her, it seems everything I say is just in one ear out the other...Also her other argument is she "feels" its not right(what a garbage argument, I know).
Virtually everything we have in our life is manufactured. We build tables and chairs because they are better than sitting on the ground and eating off a rock.

But yeah - sounds like a fun discussion for you.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2016, 07:45 AM   #1203
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Ask her what life expectancy was before vaccinations, modern medicine, etc.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2016, 07:50 AM   #1204
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Honestly, I think the best way to reach her is to talk to her about the Zika virus. Ask her if the people in South America who eat compared to us very unprocessed foods, lots of veggies and fruits, yet this virus is spreading alarmingly.

Ask her if in Canada it started to spread if she would decline a vaccine to protect her and an unborn child based on the advice of people who don't agree with medical science and almost 100 years of medical research and experience.

Then ask her if mothers in these hard it areas should decline vaccinations if they become available and rely on clean eating to protect them, which many of them do...

Then show her this picture and ask her how you would feel if you did all the healthy eating you could, and this still happened how you would feel.. Because that is what parents feel when their kids die, suffer horrible side effects from being infected by preventable diseases that vaccinations protect us from.

Last edited by Thor; 02-04-2016 at 09:43 AM.
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thor For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2016, 02:51 PM   #1205
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

In news that should surprise no one. HPV proven effective

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/22/he...says.html?_r=1
Izzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 03:07 PM   #1206
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Years ago, I got to hang out in the waiting room for the unit that does cancer/cell screenings for people infected with HPV.

After seeing a room full of very young, very anxious women, the importance of this vaccine really hit home.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 12:27 PM   #1207
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Sad, 2 mormon parents who own a natural remedies store online treat their child with useless stuff and he dies from meningitis....

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/03/todd...d-of-medicine/

Quote:
Collet Stephan, 35, told police that a friend told the couple their son had meningitis — inflammation caused by an infection of the fluid surrounding the brain and spinal cord.

She said they tried to boost the boy’s immune system by feeding him with olive leaf extract, whey protein, water with maple syrup and juice with frozen berries.

They finally fed the boy, who was becoming stiff and lethargic after two weeks of illness, a mixture of apple cider vinegar, horseradish root, hot peppers, onion, garlic and ginger root.
Here is their company where they claim they can treat mental health problems, like bi-polar disorder.. http://www.truehope.com/
Old 03-09-2016, 12:30 PM   #1208
Knut

Exp:

This article does not mention that they actually saw a Naturopath as well, who treated the Meningitis with Herbals. Naturopathy being a self-regulating health profession means that the Naturopath has protection from malpractice.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2016, 12:31 PM   #1209
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Criminal Negligence Causing Death
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 12:32 PM   #1210
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Parents should go to jail.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to polak For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2016, 12:41 PM   #1211
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Sad, 2 moron parents who own a natural remedies store online treat their child with useless stuff...
fyp

I hope they get jail sentences that take them beyond child bearing age just so no other unfortunately children are brought into that stupidity.
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dan02 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2016, 12:50 PM   #1212
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

The continued viability of the snake oil industry never ceases to amaze me. Hundreds of years' worth of scientific advances, and they have to do is change the labels. If only medicine could develop a cure for credulity.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 12:52 PM   #1213
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't look at his Facebook page...he still doesn't get it.(3 more kids to boot) .there is a nice rant against the CBC article...
MelBridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MelBridgeman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2016, 12:54 PM   #1214
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

They say that prosecuters aren't accusing them of ignoring the child but how is letting him die at home not ignoring the child?!

TWO weeks. TWO WEEKS he was sick and his condition was deteriorating. They specifically got instruction to go see a doctor as a nurse told them he probably has meningitis. That to me is the definition of ignoring the problem.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 01:10 PM   #1215
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelBridgeman View Post
Don't look at his Facebook page...he still doesn't get it.(3 more kids to boot) .there is a nice rant against the CBC article...
The guy that has this on his FB wall?

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 01:15 PM   #1216
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
They say that prosecuters aren't accusing them of ignoring the child but how is letting him die at home not ignoring the child?!

TWO weeks. TWO WEEKS he was sick and his condition was deteriorating. They specifically got instruction to go see a doctor as a nurse told them he probably has meningitis. That to me is the definition of ignoring the problem.
I think that the difference being that they didn't ignore and neglect the child in the usual sense. They were trying to help with their homebrew supplement remedies, albeit in the most absurd and dangerous manner.

Not disagreeing with you, but I'd imagine that the prosecution thought that they'd have better luck with the "failing to provide the necessities of life" as opposed to plan old neglect. But I'm not a lawyer, so who knows.

Either way, I'd have no problem with a sentence given of meningitis being injected directly into each parents spine and locking them in a room full of vitamins and supplements to see if they can whip something up to save themselves. Seriously, eff them.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2016, 01:30 PM   #1217
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just another religious whack-job family. I guess praying for the Meningitis to go away didn't work either...

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 01:38 PM   #1218
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesla View Post
This article does not mention that they actually saw a Naturopath as well, who treated the Meningitis with Herbals. Naturopathy being a self-regulating health profession means that the Naturopath has protection from malpractice.
Which is patently abaurd
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 01:44 PM   #1219
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
“I’m not saying they killed him, abused him or ignored him — they loved him,” Crown prosecutor Clayton Giles said, according to Global News. “They didn’t take him to a doctor until it was too late — far too late.”
Crown prosecutor might have the whitest/lamest name ever.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2016, 01:47 PM   #1220
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Which is patently abaurd
No trying to be inflammatory, but don't you sell this naturopathic garbage in your Pharmacy?
NuclearFart is offline   Reply With Quote