Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 04:52 PM   #361
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

They should turn some of the empty office towers into downtown super daycares, might be more convenient for people working downtown. Plus they could fill an atrium with a ball pit, which would be cool.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:01 PM   #362
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s irresponsible not to means test the program under the NDP plan.

I’m not interested in subsidizing young professionals who can afford child care.
Childcare is already subsidized significantly through the tax credit available. Somewhere between 20-30% depending on tax bracket and daycare bill.

If the goal is to encourage more children then subsidizing total child care cost as a % of income makes more sense as the first kids childcare cost is manageable. The second one crushes you.

The other problem is that it applies to licensed daycare spaces mostly rather than unlicensed dayhomes. Low income people tend to use lower priced dayhomes so a direct subsidy to parents might make more sense and then allow the market to provide spaces.

Subsidizing spaces picks winners and selects more costly childcare options.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:01 PM   #363
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I would suspect that conversion of downtown space into residential units / increasing density of residential units in the Core would lead to a higher concentration of child care facilities in the Core as a result. But that's playing the long game.

Doesn't surprise me that there isn't much in the way of facilities downtown; people don't take their kids to work from the suburbs so there really isn't a mass impetus to have it. Maybe that will change with changing balance of downtown residential/commercial space.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:01 PM   #364
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

We currently pay $120/day for my daughter in day care. $25 day care is something that would strongly convince me to move back to Alberta. Just the little problem with trying to find a job...
Old 03-25-2019, 05:02 PM   #365
Kerplunk
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
Is there not some way to try and make daycare cheaper rather than subsidizing something that's already crazy expensive? Give more licenses and expand the supply of daycares maybe? Maybe there's not I don't know anything about this issue.
There might be some wiggle room depending on services offered, but it might be a little tough.

As an example, a room for infants (1 year olds) need to have a ratio of 1 caregiver for 4 kids, so right there you need 2 people for a full day. At min wage it's $60 per child, not including food, supplies, space rental, extra time, and probably a whack of other things. The costs that I have seen are already pretty close to this number (if I make assumptions about pay and costs).
The Following User Says Thank You to Kerplunk For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2019, 05:14 PM   #366
Handsome B. Wonderful
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Quebec.
Quebec subsidizes its child care on the backs of other provinces via equalization payments.

Alberta has no such luxury. Enjoy your debt and increased taxes everyone.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:20 PM   #367
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
We currently pay $120/day for my daughter in day care. $25 day care is something that would strongly convince me to move back to Alberta. Just the little problem with trying to find a job...
Fear not brother, the NDP says this will create 45k new jobs.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:23 PM   #368
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
It’s irresponsible not to means test the program under the NDP plan.

I’m not interested in subsidizing young professionals who can afford child care.
Childcare is already subsidized significantly through the tax credit available. Somewhere between 20-30% depending on tax bracket and daycare bill.

If the goal is to encourage more children then subsidizing total child care cost as a % of income makes more sense as the first kids childcare cost is manageable. The second one crushes you.

The other problem is that it applies to licensed daycare spaces mostly rather than unlicensed dayhomes. Low income people tend to use lower priced dayhomes so a direct subsidy to parents might make more sense and then allow the market to provide spaces.

Subsidizing spaces picks winners and selects more costly childcare options.
I’m not interested in subsidizing people who can’t afford to have kids?
Old 03-25-2019, 05:27 PM   #369
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
You pay $2400/month for day care in Sydney (Australia?) and day care for your daughter is the deciding factor if you would move back? Something she probably won’t need in five years?
Old 03-25-2019, 05:35 PM   #370
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I’m not interested in subsidizing people who can’t afford to have kids?
Are you sure?

You need some kids to buy your house when you retire and to continue to consume to support your retirement investments

You also want lower income kids to be given good education opportunities early on to try to break the poverty cycle. Investing in poor kids seems like a good long term societal investment.
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2019, 05:37 PM   #371
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Notley sounds like she doesn’t have a plan. Her platform compared to Kenney’s is sparse and safe. Don’t say too much or you’ll turn voters away. Agree with Kenney’s platform or not, at least he’s clear on his party’s objectives. The expierience shows.

Whenever Notley does come out with a promise it all requires massive spending. Got anything else Rachel?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stampsx2 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2019, 05:38 PM   #372
Tiger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful View Post
Quebec subsidizes its child care on the backs of other provinces via equalization payments.

I dont have them available but Quebec numbers show the child care causes more people to work increasing taxes which pays for the program.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tiger For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 03-25-2019, 05:39 PM   #373
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful View Post

This is not true. The presence or absense of the daycare program does not affect their transfer payments. They choose to have higher taxation in order to support their daycare program. If you subscribe to the theory that increased labour participation due to the program increases their median incomes the program would actually reduce the amount of equalization they are entitled to.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:41 PM   #374
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Not surprised when some people are paying $35k a year in child care. I couldn't imagine plunking down the median Canadian salary every year for someone to babysit a 4 year old.
I just can’t imagine that’s a normal cost though? It seems really high?

But the other side of this is that minimum wage rises, and I have to think the childcare costs rise with that. It kind of cuts both ways I think.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:44 PM   #375
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
This is not true. The presence or absense of the daycare program does not affect their transfer payments. They choose to have higher taxation in order to support their daycare program. If you subscribe to the theory that increased labour participation due to the program increases their median incomes the program would actually reduce the amount of equalization they are entitled to.
I think the implied message here is that Quebec can maintain their spending habits due to always receiving equalization.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:49 PM   #376
ah123
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post

But the other side of this is that minimum wage rises, and I have to think the childcare costs rise with that. It kind of cuts both ways I think.

I know a colleague of mine was paying $1100 per month for daycare for his (infant) son, and another colleague of mine was quoted $1600 per month for before and after care for his two kids. No idea what circumstances would take you to $35k per year, but not completely unimaginable, especially if there are special needs
Old 03-25-2019, 05:54 PM   #377
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post

If you google that Twitter hashtag on the last page a Dr said she paid $36k for inner city child care.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:56 PM   #378
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerplunk View Post
There might be some wiggle room depending on services offered, but it might be a little tough.

As an example, a room for infants (1 year olds) need to have a ratio of 1 caregiver for 4 kids, so right there you need 2 people for a full day. At min wage it's $60 per child, not including food, supplies, space rental, extra time, and probably a whack of other things. The costs that I have seen are already pretty close to this number (if I make assumptions about pay and costs).
Thanks for the info, that's interesting. So for cost cutting, as an example, does that ratio really need to be 1:4? For infants that presumably spend most of the day sleeping? I'm somewhat sympathetic to the idea of reducing child care costs as kids are important, although as someone in their 20s I'm a lot less sympathetic around tax time with all the deductions already available to people with kids. I just don't trust the NDP to have looked at market solutions to this problem instead of just tossing money at something that seems to already be wildly priced out of control.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:03 PM   #379
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
If you google that Twitter hashtag on the last page a Dr said she paid $36k for inner city child care.
Yeah I saw someone who said that today, and I don’t deny that someone could be paying it. I’m not even against subsidized child care because I think there’s a societal benefit. I just think that $35k/yr has to be way above the median unless there are a few kids, special needs or some extenuating circumstances.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:26 PM   #380
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m trying to find numbers to confirm but I had read in the past that Quebec’s daycare was the most costly childcare program in the country, and they actually spend more per child than they do for schooling. Up front cost is low but the difference is made up via taxes.
Closed Thread