Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-09-2018, 03:13 PM   #601
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I'm really leery of taking Price. Injuries, decline in play, salary. It could be magnificent. It could be terrible and a real anchor.
I would stay wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy clear. Looks like he might have hit the wall too.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 04:54 PM   #602
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
Oh, I am just having fun.
Sooooo......you're just trolling.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:24 PM   #603
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
No division rival is going to help us fix our biggest problem, because that would be incredibly stupid.

Unlikely even a conference rival would do that.
Normally I would agree, but what if Anaheim continues to tailspin? They are not a good team. Miller is on an expiring contract and there isn't a lot of teams out there right now looking to add a goalie to a 1A/1B situation like Calgary could with Miller and Rittich. Anaheim could decide to get something for him if as they enter the new year if their season looks finished.

It is unlikely. I would definitely be happy with a Miller/Rittich tandem for this year. Of course Miller has a modified NTC so even if the stars aligned for a trade, he could veto it.

I'm just spitballing at this point. TextCritic is correct, there really aren't many realistic options for the Flames this season.
Hey Connor, It's Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 02:10 AM   #604
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
Oh, I am just having fun.

Its interesting though, a lot of established goalies are having a problem this year. Maybe the equipment changes will force a complete re-evaluation of the talent pool and a return to the more athletic goalies of the 70s and 80s.
Not to disagree, but just a reminder that early season tends to see more blowouts and wide open games, which drive down goalie stats.

Unless a goalie has stupendously bad numbers (Smith) or you've seen him play and be genuinely bad (Smith again), or he was already bad to end last season (Smith), I wouldn't make conclusions on early season numbers alone.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2018, 01:25 PM   #605
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKurgan View Post
Cory Schneider has posted some pretty bad numbers this year. Maybe New Jersey would like to get ride of his 4yr x $6mil per and run with Kinkaid and 1 year of Smith as their backup.

To Calgary: Cory Schneider

To New Jersey: Mike Smith + Prospect or bottom six player.

I’d do this but only if NJ retained portion of the cap, a million at least. 5 million cap hit is only about $750,000 more than Smith’s cap hit, albeit for 3 more years. Not too crippling, especially if Stone is traded in the offseason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Schneiders health overall is a bigger red flag than Mike Smiths health over a course of a season. But I'd do it if that was the cost. At worst it'd be a lateral move.

I think the chances of Schneider returning to previous form (or at the very least average form) is a lot higher than Smith. He’s 4 years younger and last year was his only real time spent injured. He started 58+ games for 3 straight seasons prior to last year. His career averages are much better than Smith’s. Might be worth the risk since neither Gillies or Parsons look like they’ll be NHL starters any time soon.
Old 11-10-2018, 02:21 PM   #606
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
I’d do this but only if NJ retained portion of the cap, a million at least. 5 million cap hit is only about $750,000 more than Smith’s cap hit, albeit for 3 more years. Not too crippling, especially if Stone is traded in the offseason.

I think the chances of Schneider returning to previous form (or at the very least average form) is a lot higher than Smith. He’s 4 years younger and last year was his only real time spent injured. He started 58+ games for 3 straight seasons prior to last year. His career averages are much better than Smith’s. Might be worth the risk since neither Gillies or Parsons look like they’ll be NHL starters any time soon.
Tying yourself down to a 5-6 million 4 year contract for a goalie that's currently playing himself out of the league would be an insane risk to take.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2018, 04:22 PM   #607
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wonder who would win a poll of the following top goalies who may be available? Acquisition cost is such a huge variable.

Corey Crawford
Sergei Bobrovsky
Carey Price
Ryan Miller
Henrik Lundqvist
Jonathan Quick
Cam Talbot
Jimmy Howard
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 04:44 PM   #608
BsFaninCGY
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I'm always surprised when I check in on this thread that no one mentions Rask out of Boston. He's had a rough start to the year, and now is left the team for personal reasons. Odd post game comments after his last game too. I wonder if there's some sort of 3 way trade with CBJ and goalie Bob...
BsFaninCGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 05:32 PM   #609
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Tying yourself down to a 5-6 million 4 year contract for a goalie that's currently playing himself out of the league would be an insane risk to take.

Rask: 3.05 / .901
Price: 3.07 / .892
Quick: 4.45 / .845
Holtby: 3.26 / .903
Murray: 3.87 / .886

Are they playing themselves out of the league as well? I fully realize you could make the argument for Smith too, but I have a lot more faith in a 32 year old with better career numbers, who had a great year 4 years ago bouncing back, than a 36 year old who’s best season was 8 years ago.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:45 PM   #610
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Varlamov would be the best option based on price and age. But if you can grab a Bobrovsky you gotta do it don't you?

Personally I think that Treliving is trying to hit a long term cost controlled homerun like Ilya Samsonov or Ilya Sorokin (If he has any interest in coming over). Something like that.

EDIT: And then there's Anton Forsberg. Who I believe can be a true #1 as early as this year. I bet you can grab him from Chicago on a decent trade.

Last edited by dammage79; 11-10-2018 at 05:51 PM.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2018, 02:04 AM   #611
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
Rask: 3.05 / .901
Price: 3.07 / .892
Quick: 4.45 / .845
Holtby: 3.26 / .903
Murray: 3.87 / .886

Are they playing themselves out of the league as well?
No, except Quick who is out indefinitely and might never recover sufficiently.

But Schneider is. Have you seen him play? He's been awful. Worse than Smith. 4.72 /.862

Just because he might bounce back doesn't mean it's a risk worth taking. Right now he needs to bounce back just to catch Smith, and thats still far away from decent goaltending. The length of that contract is also just crazy, literally looking like one of the worse contracts in the league.

Shooting yourself in the foot is still crazy even if you have already stepped on a nail.
Old 11-11-2018, 03:06 AM   #612
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
I wonder who would win a poll of the following top goalies who may be available? Acquisition cost is such a huge variable.

Corey Crawford
Sergei Bobrovsky
Carey Price
Ryan Miller
Henrik Lundqvist
Jonathan Quick
Cam Talbot
Jimmy Howard
Brobovsky is the only one I would even consider.
Everyone else is older than 31 years old.

I'd rather pay much more and then acquire a somewhat proven goalie who is 25 to 30 years old. Bobrovsky, Lehner, Varlamov are all upcoming UFAs if I'm not mistaken. Otherwise maybe Dell, Grubauer. Varlamov probably re-signs.

So Bobrovsky, Lehner, Grubauer and Dell are the only options that make any sense to me. Bobrovsky and Lehner would likely have to been signed in the off-season. Dell is on a division rival and hasn't been great.

I am glad that Rittich looks so promising. He might stop the Flames from doing something stupid, like acquiring a goalie who is 31+ years old.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2018, 06:01 AM   #613
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The more Rittich is playing the more I find myself thinking that he may just have starter to above average starter potential. The guy is still young and is around the age where goalies figure it out. Maybe we have been sleeping on the next up the whole time.
Flames1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 06:53 AM   #614
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
No, except Quick who is out indefinitely and might never recover sufficiently.

But Schneider is. Have you seen him play? He's been awful. Worse than Smith. 4.72 /.862

Just because he might bounce back doesn't mean it's a risk worth taking. Right now he needs to bounce back just to catch Smith, and thats still far away from decent goaltending. The length of that contract is also just crazy, literally looking like one of the worse contracts in the league.

Shooting yourself in the foot is still crazy even if you have already stepped on a nail.
I agree. I thought Schneider was a good option with the caveat that the team start Rittich and keep a close eye on Schneider in the meantime to see how he bounces back from surgery and whether he’s going to be able to return to his former form, which was a top 5 goalie in the league. So far it is looking like stay far far away to be honest.
jonkaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 06:28 PM   #615
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:
icon57 Who should Treliving target as a potential replacement for Mike Smith?

If the answer to the question is David Rittich, what's his potential worth?
He now makes $800,000 so how about we double that.
Give Matthew Tkachuk $7,500,000 and Sam Bennett $3,000,000.

Gaudreau 6,75 Monahan 6,375 Lindholm 4,85
Tkachuk 7,5 Backlund 5,35 Bennett 3,0
Dubé ,778 Jankowski 1,675 Neal 5,75
Frolík 4,3 Ryan 3,125 Czarnik 1,25

Giordano 6,75 Brodie 4,65
Hanifin 4,95 Hamonic 3,857
Välimäki ,894 Andersson ,755
Stone 3.5

Rittich 1,6
Gillies ,750

Salary Cap $82,000,000
Cap Hit $79,910,875
Buyouts $1,500,000
Bonuses $665,000
Cap Space $2,089,125

Last edited by David Struch; 11-18-2018 at 06:31 PM.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:42 PM   #616
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

27 year old Casey DeSmith
$675,000 UFA
11gp 2.25 .930

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/penguins
Old 11-18-2018, 08:47 PM   #617
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

After last night I'll ad Koskinen to the list of goalies. Maybe he's a smart man and see the tire fire for what it is and goes UFA. I'd take him.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2018, 10:40 PM   #618
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
After last night I'll ad Koskinen to the list of goalies. Maybe he's a smart man and see the tire fire for what it is and goes UFA. I'd take him.
Yup, he kept the Oilers in it.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote