Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-17-2007, 08:08 PM   #21
FlamesPuck12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly View Post
I think what happens is someone else puts in a bid and then if yours is higher, it automatically updates to yours again, doesn't it?
That's a weird way of doing it then... Thats not a Bid History then, technically they have to have every transaction to make it a history...
FlamesPuck12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 08:09 PM   #22
alltherage
Missed the bus

Exp:

Now, GH + Green is really what should have happened to the poor youngster. Poor, poor youngster.
alltherage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 08:10 PM   #23
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

No, there were two high bidders. One guy bid $9001, then another guy kept bidding more and more until he found the 1st guy's high point.

As for the legitimacy; once the seller tells people to go ahead and bid it up as high as you want, then it really becomes a non-legit auction in my mind. The bottom line is there was no legitimate bid for $9000, so the article with the tagline reading "a father sold his son's coveted "Guitar Hero III" video game on eBay as punishment, and made over $9,000" is not a legit article; as the link provided in the news article disproves the accuracy of the article.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 10:12 PM   #24
FlamesPuck12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
No, there were two high bidders. One guy bid $9001, then another guy kept bidding more and more until he found the 1st guy's high point.

As for the legitimacy; once the seller tells people to go ahead and bid it up as high as you want, then it really becomes a non-legit auction in my mind. The bottom line is there was no legitimate bid for $9000, so the article with the tagline reading "a father sold his son's coveted "Guitar Hero III" video game on eBay as punishment, and made over $9,000" is not a legit article; as the link provided in the news article disproves the accuracy of the article.
Does it not tell you what the highest bid for an item is?
FlamesPuck12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 07:11 AM   #25
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Most of us read that article and came to the conclusion that the game sold for $9000.

But the fact of the matter is that the father did not sell the game. He put up an auction and told people to go ahead and bid it up, as he was was not planning on selling it after all but did not feel like cancelling the auction. (Which is pretty easy to do BTW.) He goes on to say that he also will not hold the high bidder to purchasing the item.

Heck, had I seen that auction while it was still live I would have bid on it as well. Why not when the seller stipulates that they have no intention of making somebody pay.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 05:36 PM   #26
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Most of us read that article and came to the conclusion that the game sold for $9000.

But the fact of the matter is that the father did not sell the game. He put up an auction and told people to go ahead and bid it up, as he was was not planning on selling it after all but did not feel like cancelling the auction. (Which is pretty easy to do BTW.) He goes on to say that he also will not hold the high bidder to purchasing the item.

Heck, had I seen that auction while it was still live I would have bid on it as well. Why not when the seller stipulates that they have no intention of making somebody pay.
You still have absolutely zero proof aside from your own conjecture that whoever the buyer was didn't actually pay for the auction. The winner seems to own a computer company in Australia and is a reputable ebay user, not some kid seeking to ruin a viral internet auction for the fun of it.
Hack&Lube is online now   Reply With Quote