Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2021, 10:17 AM   #1781
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagoPucks View Post
Minivans. Do you really need AWD or is FWD with Winter tires good enough in Canada?
I drive a van and AWD isn't necessary. On occasion though, with just front wheels turning, the traction control is too sensitive, so I have to change it to sports mode to speed up faster from a rolling stop (but that's because I'm an impatient person).

AWD is nice, but not necessary at all. It's literally a performance feature, not a necessary safety feature. It just allows you to drive faster from a stop than normal. If someone argues it might help you get unstuck from a snow bank, I wonder why they aren't suggesting not driving into snow banks instead. While the vehicle might be a tad more stable while accelerating through an icy turn or through a ton of snow in a white out, your aggressive/proactive driving style and quality of winter tires are going to be a bigger factor in terms of your overall safety than AWD.

That being said, I missing having AWD and being able to blast around in the snow and take turns a little faster with a wee bit of controlled skid.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 10:49 AM   #1782
Bankai
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
70k is a lot on a set of pads. How did they define decent? What mm remaining?
They said I had 5mm a year and 5k km ago. Do I need to replace rotors at the same time?
Bankai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 10:53 AM   #1783
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankai View Post
They said I had 5mm a year and 5k km ago. Do I need to replace rotors at the same time?
Typically you shouldn't have to replace the rotors unless you really wear the pads down to the bone and they start etching the rotors. 5mm 5000 km ago doesn't sound like you'd be at that point, but you're definitely at the start of replace the pads territory.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2021, 10:55 AM   #1784
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

As your rotors wear, a lip will form on the outside edge. If you have a massive lip, your rotor is getting thin, and less able to dissipate heat.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2021, 10:58 AM   #1785
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Minivans. Do you really need AWD or is FWD with Winter tires good enough in Canada?
I have an AWD van - but I think the van part is irrelevant to your question, no different if this was a sedan.

Need it? No. Does it help in certain deep snow (like this year) or icy conditions where you'd be spinning out from a loss of traction? Absolutely.

Also consider who's driving - while you might be an awesome driver, is your spouse?

Lets keep the expectations of AWD real too - not all systems are equal. In Toyota's case - it's fine for in city driving, but in real gnarly high slip conditions its not the most capable. Not enough power can be sent to a single wheel. But from getting free from an icy patch on your street - it'll be fine.

Ultimately - for me - AWD - irrespective of it being a van or not - is not negotiable.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 11:28 AM   #1786
Bankai
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Had my minivan for 6 years. FWD with winter tires is sufficient. AWD helps with getting off the line quicker and probably a bit more control, however I have never felt unsafe driving with FWD and winter tires.
Bankai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 01:37 PM   #1787
BagoPucks
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have had AWD Sedans and FWD cars with winters but I was just curious as to how the Minivan weight, height, ground clearance and wheel base might affect the FWD options. From the sounds of it is okay just lower performance.

I am concerned about slow community roads which get plowed last as opposed to the main roads.
BagoPucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 05:34 PM   #1788
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
I have had AWD Sedans and FWD cars with winters but I was just curious as to how the Minivan weight, height, ground clearance and wheel base might affect the FWD options. From the sounds of it is okay just lower performance.

I am concerned about slow community roads which get plowed last as opposed to the main roads.
When I bought my 2011 Sienna I test drove the AWD and FWD. The power suck on the AWD made it so anemic to drive that it completely wrote it off for me. FWD FTW (for my vintage, anyway).

The clearance of a minivan is perfect for literally every snowfall Calgary has ever seen. I've never been stuck in mine (we drive on Blizzaks in the winter). In fact, I'll take the FWD minivan to Lake Louise on super sketchy highway conditions and leave my 4x4 F-150 at home because the minivan is the more surefooted of the two, even though my van is only FWD.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2021, 05:51 PM   #1789
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
When I bought my 2011 Sienna I test drove the AWD and FWD. The power suck on the AWD made it so anemic to drive that it completely wrote it off for me. FWD FTW (for my vintage, anyway).

The clearance of a minivan is perfect for literally every snowfall Calgary has ever seen. I've never been stuck in mine (we drive on Blizzaks in the winter). In fact, I'll take the FWD minivan to Lake Louise on super sketchy highway conditions and leave my 4x4 F-150 at home because the minivan is the more surefooted of the two, even though my van is only FWD.
Not surprising. Half tons are some of the most overrated vehicles for inclement weather.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2021, 12:08 AM   #1790
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Not surprising. Half tons are some of the most overrated vehicles for inclement weather.
Nah bro, 4x4 and my AT2s are any truck need right.
Old 05-19-2021, 08:00 PM   #1791
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

The new electric Ford F150 Lightning is going to start at $40,000 USD. That is very impressive although it will probably be pretty stripped down and with limited range. I love the front trunk feature on the Lightning.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 09:09 PM   #1792
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankai View Post
2013 Dodge Caravan.

Any ideas why I get a squeaking sound coming on occasionally? Sounds as if it is associated with the wheels/brakes/etc as it is a rotational squeaking.

Sound goes away when the brakes are applied. Resumes when I am coasting and sometimes when accelerating.

Brakes are still original with 70k km. Had them checked a year ago with 65k km and they said they were still decent at that time.
Generally - rotational squeak that goes away with brake application, on a set of pads with a know mileage? Wear indicators. That’s literally what they are designed to do.
Old 05-19-2021, 09:26 PM   #1793
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
The new electric Ford F150 Lightning is going to start at $40,000 USD. That is very impressive although it will probably be pretty stripped down and with limited range. I love the front trunk feature on the Lightning.
$58,000 for the commercial-oriented entry model and $68,000 for the base XLT trim (CAD).

Ouch.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 06:57 AM   #1794
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just nabbed the maximum 8.5A nut busting corded impact wrench from Canadian tire for $130. I'm going to pair it with a torque limiting stick for faster lug tightening and use my existing torque wrench for the final torquing.

I'm kinda excited to see how much faster tire changes will be with this combo vs swapping using torque wrench only.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 07:40 AM   #1795
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's much faster. I can do my car and truck in an hour(floor jack is also a huge help). Just don't rattle on the torque stick, you have a big gun there and you can still way over tighten with them.
  • Maximum Torque (ftlb):

398 ft-lb
Definitely overkill. I have this one, that goes on sale for ~$60.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/m...3182p.html#srp

280ft lb, and I use a torque stick. On your first time, go immediately to the torque wrench after using it, and see how close it is getting before you go for a drive, then re-torque after. Once you have a feel for it you will know how long to hit each nut.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2021, 08:26 AM   #1796
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

What sort of tires are you running on your truck?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 08:30 AM   #1797
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
If Dodge doesn't use the Power Wagon branding on their electric truck, they will have made a devastating mistake. I wonder what Chevy will go with?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2021, 08:42 AM   #1798
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
What sort of tires are you running on your truck?
Blizzaks up until this winter when I tried some all weather tires (Wrangler Duratraks).

The problem with pickups is the rear end is super light, the vehicle has a high centre of gravity and the tires are really wide. That makes for crappy handling in slippery conditions.

Minivan has all the weight over the drive tires, a lower centre of gravity and narrower tires.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2021, 08:55 AM   #1799
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are lease return supposed to be formal experiences ?

I am returning my Wifes Rogue this Saturday and there doesn't seem to be a formal process at all from the dealer.

I already have had the third party inspection completed and don't anticipate any additional charges.

All they are telling me is to drop by on Saturday, grab someone from finance and just give them the keys...

I would have expected some type of final paperwork.

Anyone else's experience the same ? Regardless of dealer ??
Old 05-20-2021, 09:07 AM   #1800
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
Are lease return supposed to be formal experiences ?

I am returning my Wifes Rogue this Saturday and there doesn't seem to be a formal process at all from the dealer.

I already have had the third party inspection completed and don't anticipate any additional charges.

All they are telling me is to drop by on Saturday, grab someone from finance and just give them the keys...

I would have expected some type of final paperwork.

Anyone else's experience the same ? Regardless of dealer ??
Yeah, that's pretty much it. Ever returned a rental car? It's literally the exact same thing. "here's the keys. thanks"