Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2022, 03:00 PM   #3841
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Personally I'm a little concerned about the thought of everyone on the road having access to vehicles that can do 5-60 mph in 4 seconds or less but that's going to be possible when EV's are completely mainstream.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2022, 03:01 PM   #3842
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

It just lets you get your morning commute accident out of the way faster.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 03:08 PM   #3843
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I'd love a Panamera
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2022, 03:20 PM   #3844
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Personally I'm a little concerned about the thought of everyone on the road having access to vehicles that can do 5-60 mph in 4 seconds or less but that's going to be possible when EV's are completely mainstream.
I've driven a Plaid. Launching that car was actually physically painful. I almost passed out.... and I was behind the wheel, not riding shot gun and not expecting it.

The future certainly isn't bleak, but I agree. The performance capabilities of EVs is not going to make roads safer, and the extremes they will be able to achieve is going to likely require new legislation to avoid a performance war like we saw with sport bikes in the 90's/00's.

Thankfully, cooler heads prevailed, and the four Japanese Manufacturers instituted the 300 KP/H limit, but with EVs, when you'll have a lot of manufactures trying to reclaim performance titles across the globe..... it's gonna be interesting.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 03:33 PM   #3845
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
The Macan really isn't that useful. It's pretty small inside as far as attainability is concerned I don't think that really factors into the conversation when discussing most Porsches and all Ferrari's.
I completely agree on the uselessness of the Macan. Small SUVs are perceived as functional, but their cargo space is typically abysmal. Ride height and an upright seating position is the only thing they have to offer, if you're into that.

The Ferrari is ~$400k.

Macan- ~$60k

Cayenne- ~80k

I don't see this as the same play as Porsche at all.

You went from a world where buying a Porsche was an additional car in the fleet, to replacing your Camry with a Macan. It made people who just wanted to say they drive a Porsche have a way easier path, and the sales proved people were looking for that, no matter how lame that is.

The Ferrari only achieves lowering the bar based on seating 4 people, but the incremental price difference is still massive.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 03:42 PM   #3846
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
I've driven a Plaid. Launching that car was actually physically painful. I almost passed out.... and I was behind the wheel, not riding shot gun and not expecting it.
Speaking of a Plaid. One tried to take on a pro-gasser:

Obviously the gasser is not street legal, but still cool to see how close you can get with an EV.

(Edit: love the display on Plaid's instrument cluster during his run)

Last edited by Ironhorse; 09-14-2022 at 03:46 PM.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 04:06 PM   #3847
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah man, it’s no joke. Not too long ago, you had to work to go fast. Aside from the rare hyper car brat, you learnt how to drive and spent most of your driving career in something slow by modern standards, and performance tuning in increments. Almost no one was driving a sub 4 second 0-60 machine, I still remember the WRX breaking 5 seconds at a time when that out it in pretty tight competition with a Z06.

Until you’re staring at the side of a tractor trailer or a kid who jumped out in the road, it’s hard to really fathom just how quickly ‘look at this’ can turn into ‘oh ####’. And given how ####ing bad some drivers seem to be, it’s a level of speed I don’t like the thought of.
Old 09-14-2022, 04:37 PM   #3848
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

1. The Porsche Boxster was an amazing car when it was launched, purists be damned. I'm less thrilled at the flat-four in the current base car, but that 4.0L flat-six is the stuff of legends.
2. I went through my "I want a sporty SUV" phase but I never indulged it. I might as a strictly winter vehicle, but I would rather go for an AWD or well-balanced RWD sedan or wagon. Primarily, an older Audi S6 (C6), Panamera, or (and this is the one I really want) a pre-2014 Aston Martin Rapide.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2022, 05:09 PM   #3849
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They won't be on the road though... or at least, they probably won't be completely on the road.

At that point though, I bet there will be some form of limiter put on or mandate that vehicles with such performance must have some form of an auto drive fail safe. I'm sure it'll be no big deal.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 06:38 PM   #3850
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

New Mustang. Looks pretty great.

Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 06:54 PM   #3851
FLAME ENVY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Porsche.

And I think the Boxster started out being looked down on but has since become pretty well accepted by enthusiasts, whether car people in general or Porsche loyalists... The Boxster Spyder is one of the best pure sports cars the company has ever made and the GTS is also fantastic. The 996 911 was also looked down on at the time and everyone has seemingly come around on it, and that improvement in sentiment bled over even to the old generation Boxsters.
I have to partially digress on that one, notably the ever made part. Whilst a very cool car that is sporting, the Boxster Spyder is just another modern, expensive (and highly profitable), Porsche GT car that will be collectible. The 356 Speedster, 356 Carrera's, 550 Spyder, 1967 911R, all early 911 S/E variants, 914/6, 1973 911 Carrera RS (perhaps the best sports car ever made) 924 Carrera GT/S all come to mind before the Boxster Spyder when I think purist sports cars Porsche has built. There are many others, notably the myriad of road going 911 Homologation specials Porsche has produced over the decades.

And let's not forget the 924/944/968 lineage. The front engine, 4 cylinder, water cooled Porsches are some of the best sports cars Porsche has ever built. I loved my 1989 944 Turbo as much as my 911's, such a great car. The 968 Clubsport is one of my dream machines. A unicorn would be a 968 Turbo S/RS. Oh to dream...
FLAME ENVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 07:08 PM   #3852
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mustang reveal livestream - The new commercial for them is at 18:15, the reveals start at 19:25.

Not sure how I feel about them right now. May need to see them in person.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2022, 07:26 PM   #3853
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not a Ford guy whatsoever. But I love the Bronco and the sharp edged lines of this new Mustang whets my whistle. I like it!

And maybe the last v8 muscle car ever. It's gonna sell like hot cakes.
Old 09-14-2022, 08:27 PM   #3854
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Exterior evolution is nice. Ford killed it on the forehead compared to VW with the GTI.

Firing it up and revving it from the key fob is hilarious...love that.

Interior is nice and the fox body cluster option is so rad. I've had a fox body and would get a real kick out of seeing that again.

Digital HVAC...ugh. I hope they've gotten better at that compared to the time I had to use it in a rental Ford Flex.

Overall, cool car. Can't wait to see them around. Not sure why, but they just don't grab me anymore, though in terms of wanting to own one. Maybe it's an age thing? I don't know.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2022, 08:47 PM   #3855
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Exterior evolution is nice. Ford killed it on the forehead compared to VW with the GTI.

Firing it up and revving it from the key fob is hilarious...love that.

Interior is nice and the fox body cluster option is so rad. I've had a fox body and would get a real kick out of seeing that again.

Digital HVAC...ugh. I hope they've gotten better at that compared to the time I had to use it in a rental Ford Flex.

Overall, cool car. Can't wait to see them around. Not sure why, but they just don't grab me anymore, though in terms of wanting to own one. Maybe it's an age thing? I don't know.
I'm the same way. I would have killed for even a base GT manual growing up, but these days they aren't on the shopping list. I own what I own because of that certain je ne sais quoi that drew me to it.

But on first blush, I think the new 2024 looks fantastic, and I think in person they'll look even better.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2022, 09:03 PM   #3856
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I know I'm a heretic but I'd really think about buying one if it was AWD.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2022, 09:08 PM   #3857
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I know I'm a heretic but I'd really think about buying one if it was AWD.
What a Mustang? That's a bit of Heresy.

I think Ford and Dodge absolutely missed golden opportunities to absolutely nail their ultra HP cars down with some AWD.

As evidenced with the TrackHawk and Durango Hellkitty..

Tell me a 650 hp AWD GT500 wouldn't beat the snot out of a lot of cars.

AWD rally hellcat challenger or Charger? Oh yeah. May even give the Tezlers a run for their money.
Old 09-14-2022, 09:11 PM   #3858
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
2. I went through my "I want a sporty SUV" phase but I never indulged it. I might as a strictly winter vehicle, but I would rather go for an AWD or well-balanced RWD sedan or wagon. Primarily, an older Audi S6 (C6), Panamera, or (and this is the one I really want) a pre-2014 Aston Martin Rapide.
We bought one of my dream vehicles (governed by budget) this year; A used 2017 Golf Sportwagen TSI 4motion and I absolutely love it. I've owned SUVs in the past and would gladly drive this car over one any day. I do have some moments in traffic, where I'm sitting next to a Tahoe or such and get a little nervous at how low I am, but other than that it is so fun and enjoyable to drive.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 10:48 AM   #3859
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://jalopnik.com/the-2024-ford-m...ick-1849539611

The new Mustang has an easy crash stick. Not that it needed one.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2022, 10:53 AM   #3860
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love my Corvette, but I do think I will need to buy at least one more Manual V8 muscle car before they go away forever. That new Mustang does look interesting, plus I gotta admit, pylon's latest build has really tickled my taint in that department.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote