Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2021, 02:14 PM   #3721
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Diablo 3 and Final Fantasy XIV have shown me that controllers are completely viable in games I would never expect. Don't count them out on a console.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2021, 03:14 PM   #3722
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
And sure you can say they'll lose casual gamers now (which there is zero evidence of), but later in the year when the new God of War and Horizon games drop and there's more stock of PS5 they'll be back.
You seem personally threatened by the idea that Sony might lose this generation's sales lead to Xbox. This doesn't need to be an emotional conversation.

I doubt Gears of War, or Horizon, or, for that matter, Halo, will have as big an impact on console sales as Gamepass, because Gamepass is just that good, and is going to get better and better. It's not only going to be exclusive games, it's going to be cheaper exclusive games.

I liked my PS4, I couldn't get a PS5, I bought an Xbox, and now I don't think I want or need a PS5. I wonder if that is a unique experience, and I suspect not. Rather than telling me that Sony is the best and can never fail, perhaps explain what specifically it is about Sony that means it will continue to be the leader. So far I've heard controller, and exclusives. That doesn't sound like anything that will tilt decisions for casual gamers over another system with its own exclusives available at a small fraction of the cost.
Old 03-16-2021, 03:20 PM   #3723
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
So if that means Sony failed, then how did Microsoft do any better? The PS5 only launched with a few games, but the Series X didn't launch with any, and they still haven't launched any Series X exclusives 4 months later. Also if I have the option to play the same game on PS5 or Series X, I take PS5 every time simple due to the controller. Those haptics are the biggest advancement in game controllers since the analog stick IMO

I don't see how you can fault Sony, demand for the PS5 is simply far greater than for the Xbox. Microsoft didn't do anything special to make stores have more stock of their consoles, they're just not selling as fast as Sony's. And sure you can say they'll lose casual gamers now (which there is zero evidence of), but later in the year when the new God of War and Horizon games drop and there's more stock of PS5 they'll be back. I don't think it's even a question that Sony will win this generation in pure number of console sales 5 years down the road
That is 100% true, because Microsoft and XBOX don't care about winning the console war. They will win the player base on game subscription service war. Which just so happens seems like a much better business model. Recurring revenue is where it's at!

Also with the Xbox Gamepass app going to be made available on Smart TV's, that gives them one more place users can get into the XBOX universe. Oh yeah! and they are currently working on having Gamepass run via their new web browser Edge Chromium.

Last edited by Since1984; 03-16-2021 at 03:26 PM.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 03:45 PM   #3724
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
You seem personally threatened by the idea that Sony might lose this generation's sales lead to Xbox. This doesn't need to be an emotional conversation.

I doubt Gears of War, or Horizon, or, for that matter, Halo, will have as big an impact on console sales as Gamepass, because Gamepass is just that good, and is going to get better and better. It's not only going to be exclusive games, it's going to be cheaper exclusive games.

I liked my PS4, I couldn't get a PS5, I bought an Xbox, and now I don't think I want or need a PS5. I wonder if that is a unique experience, and I suspect not. Rather than telling me that Sony is the best and can never fail, perhaps explain what specifically it is about Sony that means it will continue to be the leader. So far I've heard controller, and exclusives. That doesn't sound like anything that will tilt decisions for casual gamers over another system with its own exclusives available at a small fraction of the cost.
I want Microsoft to succeed, I subscribe to Gamepass on PC and think it's a great value. I just think calling the PS5 launch "botched" is a ridiculous take and sounds very fanboyish, when in reality it's the best console launch in history in terms of unit sold
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 04:51 PM   #3725
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

My problem is last gen I bought both consoles and wound up barely using the Xbox. They just don't seem to publish many games I want to play on console.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 05:28 PM   #3726
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
My problem is last gen I bought both consoles and wound up barely using the Xbox. They just don't seem to publish many games I want to play on console.
If you have a PC capable of playing games at or better than a Series X then who cares? Play Gamepass on PC.
Old 03-16-2021, 05:44 PM   #3727
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean there's a convenience to console gaming that I appreciate. I think I would play Horizon ZD now on PC just for the better visuals but otherwise, games like that I would prefer to play on a TV.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2021, 11:35 PM   #3728
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah well I got a PS5 and Xbox but find myself playing my Switch 90% of the time, so I’m not sure what that makes me...
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2021, 10:46 AM   #3729
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Yeah well I got a PS5 and Xbox but find myself playing my Switch 90% of the time, so I’m not sure what that makes me...
The switch wins any console war due to it's portability, generally low cost and wide variety of games, with majority of those games targeting children and teens as the main audience. Sony and Xbox are more focused on the older end of the spectrum.

No shots are being taken here Cube, just stating how Nintendo is able to outsell both Sony and Microsoft.
Old 03-17-2021, 12:50 PM   #3730
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
No shots are being taken here Cube, just stating how Nintendo is able to outsell both Sony and Microsoft.
The Switch has been selling more month-to-month for the last couple of years, but it'll be quite awhile before it passes the total PS4 sales numbers

Old 03-17-2021, 01:30 PM   #3731
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The switch wins any console war due to it's portability, generally low cost and wide variety of games, with majority of those games targeting children and teens as the main audience. Sony and Xbox are more focused on the older end of the spectrum.

lol wat? no they aren't

Really Switch is adding two systems together...a portable and a hybrid and they still can't touch PS4.

PS5 would be the best selling console this year if it was possible to buy it
Old 03-17-2021, 02:12 PM   #3732
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
lol wat? no they aren't

Really Switch is adding two systems together...a portable and a hybrid and they still can't touch PS4.

Well technically the only console Nintendo has never outsold, with any of its consoles/handhelds is the PS2.

I meant in PS5 v. XSX v. Switch since the release of the new consoles....

The bolded may be true but you can't sell them if you don't have them.
Old 03-17-2021, 02:18 PM   #3733
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well technically the only console Nintendo has never outsold, with any of its consoles/handhelds is the PS2.

I meant in PS5 v. XSX v. Switch since the release of the new consoles....

The bolded may be true but you can't sell them if you don't have them.
What exactly are you comparing to the PS4? every version of the DS over 20 years lol. Seems like apples and oranges. Nintendo has the handhelds for sure but home consoles is obviously Sony by a country mile.

Last edited by dino7c; 03-17-2021 at 02:22 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 03:03 PM   #3734
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I really wish Sony would take another stab at the handheld market. The PSP was incredible, and the Vita could have been too with better support
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2021, 04:09 PM   #3735
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

FYI EA Pass is being added to Gamepass for PC tomorrow, which makes an already good deal even better
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2021, 09:05 PM   #3736
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

NieR:Automata BECOME AS GODS Edition is out for the PC, and apparently they either did a bunch of work on it or it's a different port because it apparently doesn't suck like the old one did.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2021, 09:17 PM   #3737
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
FYI EA Pass is being added to Gamepass for PC tomorrow, which makes an already good deal even better
Just need NHL on PC
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wood For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2021, 10:20 PM   #3738
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood View Post
Just need NHL on PC
I have been meaning to try NHL04 Rebuilt, although I think the last time I did, it did not enjoy being run on such a modern PC. It's on MyAbandonware.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2021, 10:49 PM   #3739
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
NieR:Automata BECOME AS GODS Edition is out for the PC, and apparently they either did a bunch of work on it or it's a different port because it apparently doesn't suck like the old one did.
I noticed that got added to GamePass today. I’m going to give it a try.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2021, 07:39 AM   #3740
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
lol wat? no they aren't

Switch is pacing to be the best selling video game platform ever. Beating overall PS4 sales isn’t even a question at this point, it’s looking more at PS2 numbers.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post: