Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2015, 08:09 AM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Flames Flames now a top free agent destination

Ryan Kennedy @THNRyanKennedy
Interesting comment from an agent: Calgary Flames have gone from a bottom-third free agent destination to one of the best under Treliving

sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 97 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
-TC-, Allos, Anduril, apiquard, Azure, badger89, bdubbs, Bezer, BigErnSalute_16, BigT112, BloodFetish, Boblobla, browna, bubbsy, Bunk, burn_this_city, Buster, Caged Great, calculoso, Calgary4LIfe, calgarybornnraised, CalgaryFan1988, Cheerio, ClubFlames, Cole436, ColoradoFlamesFan, CrazyCaper, D as in David, DaQwiz, dash_pinched, devo22, droopydrew19, Erick Estrada, FBI, Fire, Fire of the Phoenix, flambers, FlameFan21, flamesgod, flame^thrower, ForeverFlameFan, Francis's Hairpiece, Geeoff, getbak, GoFlamesGo, GreenHardHat, handgroen, hockey.modern, Hockey_Ninja, HOWITZER, InBurkeWeTrust, jayswin, jg13, JoelOtto29, JonDuke, JurassicTunga12, kbvall, Lanny'sDaMan, megatron, MillerTime GFG, Miniac, Mony, MrMike, Mustache, Nammer403, Neeper, OldDutch, Party Elephant, Phaneuf, Pierre "Monster" McGuire, Poe969, Puddy27, Reaper, Regulator75, Rejean31, renny, Resolute 14, Rhettzky, roberts10, Robo, rogermexico, Roof-Daddy, rotten42, Rubicant, saillias, saXon, SHOGUN, starseed, STeeLy, taxbuster, Textcritic, The Swedish Flame, the2bears, Titan, tko, topfiverecords, Wolfman
Old 07-02-2015, 08:11 AM   #2
InBurkeWeTrust
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Awesome!
InBurkeWeTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 08:15 AM   #3
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It goes to show that in addition to getting paid, free agents also want to win.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rick M. For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2015, 08:20 AM   #4
ClubFlames
Posted the 2 millionth post!

Exp:

Brad Treliving will win GM of the year award for the upcoming year. I just know it.

ClubFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 08:21 AM   #5
Hugh Jahrmes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Nobody wants to talk hockey with me as much as I want to talk hockey lately. It's a real problem.

This team tho !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-02-2015, 08:31 AM   #6
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jahrmes View Post
Nobody wants to talk hockey with me as much as I want to talk hockey lately. It's a real problem.

This team tho !

Hahaha! I was at a BBQ yesterday and kept trying to talk hockey. Ppl kept shutting me down, and told it was summer and months from hockey season, plus I was sporting my Flames hat.

Either their right about not talking hockey, or its the fact I live in Victoria and hockey no longer exists because if the Canucks aren't contenders the "fans" dissappear!

By the way I continued to talk hockey anyway! Lol
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Moneyhands23 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2015, 08:36 AM   #7
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's amazing what winning does... While Treliving has some bearing on this, players love to bandwagon just as much as fans do. See: Colorado.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 08:37 AM   #8
Flamescuprun2018
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I completely agree, everyone around me is wondering why I am so fixated on what is happening with the Flames. I cant get enough of this Flames transformation. Tre, Burkie and the whole organization has turned this ship completely around with remarkable swiftness. The asset management has been superb. Burkie has been the perfect mentor for the tireless Tre.

Both the NHL and AHL lineups are now solid top to bottom. I now expect us to accumulate draft picks over the next 12 months. Rinse and repeat...
Flamescuprun2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 08:38 AM   #9
Flamescuprun2018
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I completely agree, everyone around me is wondering why I am so fixated on what is happening with the Flames. I cant get enough of this Flames transformation. Tre, Burkie and the whole organization has turned this ship completely around with remarkable swiftness. The asset management has been superb. Burkie has been the perfect mentor for the tireless Tre.

Both the NHL and AHL lineups are now solid top to bottom. I now expect us to accumulate draft picks over the next 12 months. Rinse and repeat...
Flamescuprun2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 08:44 AM   #10
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

And half of all the new draft picks just want to play with Johnny
Old 07-02-2015, 08:46 AM   #11
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

One word: Look out

YYC in LAX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to YYC in LAX For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2015, 08:48 AM   #12
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks NDP!
Old 07-02-2015, 08:51 AM   #13
Hugh Jahrmes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I can always count on a coworker from out east, diehard Habs fan who's a legit fan of the game and always has intelligent and unbiased views on every team (little homerism towards Montreal, especially Price and Gallagher). His second/western team is the Oilers, and I walked up as he was trying to explain to one of the many Oil "fans" we work with the importance playing both ends of the ice, and how re-signing a dman like Petry to that contract gave Montreal tons of stability, and also how shocked he was that Edmonton still can't seem to put the idea of building s balanced roster together.. But the Reinhart acquisition was a "step in the right direction given who was available", and the "improved blue lines" of the Oil and Habs should make adding that "last piece or two" to put them over the top in their respective conferences a breeze as free agents keep tabs on teams actively trying to win.
I dropped the "sort of like the Hamilton trade, and sticking to our commitment to rebuild by selling off assets that weren't in our long term plans at the last trade deadline even though a lot of teams would buckle and go all in for it".

He shook his head and told me Gio would walk and sign in Toronto for a 7x5m retirement contract .. I may have hit a nerve there

Old 07-02-2015, 08:52 AM   #14
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think a lot of it, at least based on the comments I've heard from Frolik and Hamilton, was the Flames having a clear internal plan and being able to sell free agents on what it is, and that individuals' place in it.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2015, 08:56 AM   #15
Hugh Jahrmes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC in LAX View Post
One word: Look out

Two words: I totally agree bro

Old 07-02-2015, 08:59 AM   #16
PrettyBoyFlizzy
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

That all comes with having a top young core and players wanting to join them. Also the management team and structure how they are progressive and put together a presentation to a player they are trying to get, unlike Darryl Sutter with no plan calling free agents asking if they will take a discount to play with Iginla.

I think the system Bob employs has a lot to do with it as well.
PrettyBoyFlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:00 AM   #17
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

This is what happens when you rebuild something properly, from the ground up, with the right attitude in the organization from the top down.

See: Oilers, Edmonton.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tron_fdc For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2015, 09:01 AM   #18
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Having a team with an identity, merit based minute allocation and several young players with elite potential will certainly do that.

Incredible how quickly the rebuild has gone.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:20 AM   #19
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Very much an exclusive kind of club feeling to it too. Treliving and Co didn't just come into FA with plans A-C, they had a man they wanted and signed him.

Rather than just the 'best UFA available' that many games have crippled their teams trying to improve with. That saying, everybody have been giving out reasonable UFA contracts.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:23 AM   #20
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

This could be very important if the Flames decide they still need a premier goalie
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote