Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2011, 12:13 PM   #101
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
A few things:

it won't run java (or at least it wouldn't run java on a site I use for networking).

The touch screen is also taking some getting used to, it's hard to get my cursor in the right spot to edit spelling errors. I also can't seem to hit hyperlinks on web pages very easily, and it's taking a lot of tapping in the same place to select them.

It runs word and excel beautifully though. Spreadsheets are easy to read and edit.

processor is really fast.

not a huge fan of the gmail interface, mainly because it's hard to select the email I want. Again, I wish there was a trackball to do it.

awesome display (runs hd)

I really wish there was a usb port for my thumbdrive
What app do you use for word/excel?
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:17 PM   #102
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://business.financialpost.com/20...-expectations/

Early PlayBook sales exceed low expectations
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:27 PM   #103
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

There is a port on the bottom but it's not usb. maybe there's an adapter?

Just to clarify though. It plugs into a PC the same way my bberry does, but what I wanted was an actual port on the tablet to insert a thumbdrive.

As far as the document reader capabilities (pdf, word, etc) it's awesome. The processor is very quick, documents are clear in the display, and I have yet to have one freeze up on me. I don't think the program running word or excel is as powerful as the full versions, but I haven't spent too much time creating anything (only reading and light editing).
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tron_fdc For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2011, 12:33 PM   #104
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
What app do you use for word/excel?
It comes preloaded with documents to go.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tron_fdc For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2011, 12:38 PM   #105
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

An update is supposed to be coming allowing you to access flash drives from the USB port. For now, the USB port can only be used to plug into a computer.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:42 PM   #106
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
There is a port on the bottom but it's not usb. maybe there's an adapter?

Just to clarify though. It plugs into a PC the same way my bberry does, but what I wanted was an actual port on the tablet to insert a thumbdrive.
Quote:
Hidden away on the bottom are three ports: micro-HDMI, micro-USB, and a proprietary three-prong charging connector for use when the thing settles down in its docking cradle or gets cozy with the optional external adapter -- charging at twice the rate of micro-USB. Up top there's one more hole, a humble 3.5mm headphone jack, but if you look closely you'll also spot stereo speaker grilles cut into either side of the glass.
http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/13/b...aybook-review/
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:43 PM   #107
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
?

It has USB and HDMI.

Or are you trolling?
1. It's sarcastic humor.
2. It does not have USB.

(A micro-USB sync connection port is not the same thing.)

It doesn't matter anyway. I couldn't care less about USB on these things. It was just a sarcastic dig at all the people who thought tablets would never take off without a USB port. It's not worth sidetracking this thread over.

Last edited by FanIn80; 04-20-2011 at 12:47 PM.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:48 PM   #108
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

I may or may not have bought an iPad 2 and a Playbook on my lunchbreak...

I convinced my accountant this was a tax write-off for my company under the guise of testing the tablets to see which suited my work needs better.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:54 PM   #109
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I've been using my rooted Nook color for months and I am totally happy. It's the perfect size for holding in your hand, it has a better IPS screen than the Galaxy. It only costs $250 ($199 during a sale). You'd have to be crazy, quite honestly, to pay $500-$600 for a Galaxy Tablet or even an iPad but I'm a very price conscious person and I probably derive more pleasure out of getting value for money than actually using a lot of technlogy.

It's amazing.

Not mine. I am too lazy to take pictures.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 04-20-2011 at 02:14 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:59 PM   #110
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
I may or may not have bought an iPad 2 and a Playbook on my lunchbreak...

I convinced my accountant this was a tax write-off for my company under the guise of testing the tablets to see which suited my work needs better.
Cool, enjoy and let us know your thoughts on the comparison of the two?
Old 04-20-2011, 01:18 PM   #111
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I've been using my rooted Nook color for months and I am totally happy. It's the perfect size for holding in your hand, it has a better IPS screen than the Galaxy. It only costs $250. You'd have to be crazy, quite honestly, to pay $500-$600 for a Galaxy Tablet or even an iPad but I'm a very price conscious person and I probably derive more pleasure out of getting value for money than actually using a lot of technlogy.
Where did you buy it?
OilKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:27 PM   #112
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

I though about picking up a Nook Color last fall, but the rooting of it was still pretty rudimentary at that point and B&N were supposedly going to lock it down tighter. So faced with the uncertainty, I didn't bother.

How does it run? Any surprises? All android apps work with it?
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:18 PM   #113
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

They only sell Nook Colors in the US @ Barnes & Noble but you can get them on ebay and ereader shops. There's one in Vancouver that I bought one for my mom at. They are excellent value because they are probably sold at a loss because B&N expect to make money of book and magazine sales and not the units. For awhile ebay and B&N were collaborating on a sale and selling them for $199!

All Android apps work fine with it except for a weird thing where the marketplace works best in landscape orientation as holding it in portrait won't load the full list and you only get page 1.

I used the old Autonooter method from the MicroSD card that roots it and then use my own launcher and button shortcuts. It retains the original Nook Color functionality but that isn't useful for Canadians as you cannot buy books without an American address on file.

I believe the latest methods are much better in that the replace the entire system with the latest Android build but so far I have been too lazy to try it because everything works just fine for me as it is. The built in Youtube player seems to work great, all the apps I've tried work fine aside from a few of the animated wallpapers not loading (but most do).

The only other issue I've had is finding a browser that works with multitouch as the default one didn't and I settled on Dolphin and that works great so far.

The thing is very fast, runs 3D apps very quickly and even PS1/PSP emulation works. Supposedly flash support is out this month as well.

All of my issues and experiences may be due to me using an early autonooter build that simply roots the B&N firmware. Things have improved substantially to the point of flashing an entirely new kernel onto it but I've been lazy.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 04-20-2011 at 02:28 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2011, 02:26 PM   #114
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I just found out about tether GPS. This would be awesome for a car system.
If you could tether the GPS reciever and use any free GPS software on the tablet, why deal with 3G/4G based GPS (that eats your data) anymore? GPS is free afterall!
Old 04-20-2011, 08:05 PM   #115
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah that's what the WiFi only iPad 2 does when tethered via wifi to an iPhone 4.

The nook is a pretty compelling little device. Even more so if you have an Android phone.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:39 PM   #116
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I just found out about tether GPS. This would be awesome for a car system.
If you could tether the GPS reciever and use any free GPS software on the tablet, why deal with 3G/4G based GPS (that eats your data) anymore? GPS is free afterall!
lol, that video looks to be a good example of rather unsafe driving.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:32 PM   #117
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had some time to kill out of town yesterday and bought a playbook. The plan was that I could kill some time and play with a new toy and then return it. Problem is that I quite like it...what a dumb idea.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:23 PM   #118
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I was actually pretty under-whelmed with the iPad. Its not a knock against the iPad in particular, just the one tablet that I could play around with. Its fun and cool...but frankly other than the fact it turns on fast it just doesn't do it for me, and I kind of prefer the laptop.

I wanted to be wowed by it, mostly so that I could "need" a new toy. It could be that I had an iPhone for a couple of years though, and that this is basically the same thing but larger. If the day comes where I can use a tablet for business though, all bets are off!
I feel exactly the same...

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Fozzie_DeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:40 AM   #119
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Tablet uses seem to be growing:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...spital374.html
Devils'Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:15 AM   #120
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sony jumps in with a couple honeycomb tablets:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/26/s...ycomb-tablets/

The S2 in particular is interesting to me. Not cause I want it but because I love how companies are exploring where tablets can go. I was pretty sure that 2011 would be the year of dozens of vanilla Android tablets but I'm glad to see there are plenty of unique (if gimmicky) spins on it.

Last edited by MickMcGeough; 04-26-2011 at 09:20 AM.
MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote