Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2011, 09:41 AM   #241
The Goon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Not surprisingly, HP is getting killed:

http://allthingsd.com/20110816/ouchp...ld-hp-tablets/

According to one source who has seen internal HP reports, Best Buy has taken delivery of 270,000 TouchPads and has so far managed to sell only 25,000, or less than 10 percent of the units in its inventory.
That's too bad - it's an excellent product and I would happily trade in my iPad for a TouchPad. The non-existent marketing doesn't help, though.
We may curse our bad luck that it's sounds like its; who's sounds like whose; they're sounds like their (and there); and you're sounds like your. But if we are grown-ups who have been through full-time education, we have no excuse for muddling them up.
The Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:49 AM   #242
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goon View Post
That's too bad - it's an excellent product and I would happily trade in my iPad for a TouchPad. The non-existent marketing doesn't help, though.
I've been seeing it advertised pretty hard - it is the commercials with Russel Brand and the ostrich.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:50 AM   #243
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking into getting a tablet and am wondering what the brain trust at CP thinks is the best route.

If you were deciding between an iPad 2, Asus Transformer, or the new Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 when it releases what would you choose?
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 12:01 PM   #244
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Looking into getting a tablet and am wondering what the brain trust at CP thinks is the best route.

If you were deciding between an iPad 2, Asus Transformer, or the new Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 when it releases what would you choose?
What do you plan on using it for?

I love the Transformer (and I've heard very good things about the Galaxy Tab) but the app market for Honeycomb just isn't in the same league as for the iPad. Google is unifying the phone/tablet Android OS codebases in a significant overhaul later this year and you never know if your Android tablet is going to get that update (for example, I don't know of any Android 2.x tablets that were updated to Honeycomb).

iPad owners make up the overwhelming majority of tablet owners today. Until that balances out some, the iPad is going to have more (and "better") apps, since that's where the dough is.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:26 PM   #245
old-fart
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's only been a day, but so far I'm liking the Nook I got from Mick running Gingerbread. Need some time to get all the things on it I want, but so far so good.

For the price, I'm not sure it can be beat.
old-fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:28 PM   #246
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
What do you plan on using it for?

I love the Transformer (and I've heard very good things about the Galaxy Tab) but the app market for Honeycomb just isn't in the same league as for the iPad. Google is unifying the phone/tablet Android OS codebases in a significant overhaul later this year and you never know if your Android tablet is going to get that update (for example, I don't know of any Android 2.x tablets that were updated to Honeycomb).

iPad owners make up the overwhelming majority of tablet owners today. Until that balances out some, the iPad is going to have more (and "better") apps, since that's where the dough is.
I have an iPhone and the girlfriend has an iPad so I was leaning towards an Android just to get the best of both worlds. Being able to run Emulators and watching flash videos is a huge advantage for the Android tablet.

I was leaning more between the Asus Transformer or the new Samsung. The specs are really all the same with the Asus being a little bigger/heavier but having all the built in components is an advantage.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:21 PM   #247
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
I've been seeing it advertised pretty hard - it is the commercials with Russel Brand and the ostrich.
Also, Lea Michelle, Manny Pacquiao...
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:51 PM   #248
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

I will be getting a Galaxy Tab 10.1 pretty soon! Being able to play Flash well I think is a notable advantage.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:36 PM   #249
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

does anyone know what iPad app that records lectures and types it for you? I saw a chinese kid in class doing it and I forgot to ask him before the semester ended.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:26 AM   #250
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
does anyone know what iPad app that records lectures and types it for you? I saw a chinese kid in class doing it and I forgot to ask him before the semester ended.
Why are you even giving us that information?
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:05 PM   #251
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red sky View Post
The other always has the label.

*sorry my Soci minor is talking...
Old 08-18-2011, 02:09 PM   #252
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goon View Post
They just annouced that they are killing their tablet. Wow, that was fast.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:10 PM   #253
Slacker
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Haha, I just bought a touchpad for half the price thru work. Total fail.
Slacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:10 PM   #254
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Hp just killed WebOS. TouchPad production has halted.

A decent device if you really want something bare-bones. There will be no more apps presumably, and no more updates. Price drops may make it appealing.

R.I.P
Old 08-18-2011, 02:32 PM   #255
The Goon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

After sitting in a seminar about the TouchPad last week, I was talking it up to anyone who would listen.

This is why I don't bet on horses.
We may curse our bad luck that it's sounds like its; who's sounds like whose; they're sounds like their (and there); and you're sounds like your. But if we are grown-ups who have been through full-time education, we have no excuse for muddling them up.
The Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:26 PM   #256
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red sky View Post
because I had a chinese student in my class that was using his Ipad to take notes and it took the professors words and not only recorded them, but wrote them in text too.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:33 PM   #257
J epworth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
because I had a chinese student in my class that was using his Ipad to take notes and it took the professors words and not only recorded them, but wrote them in text too.
He means you could have just as easily have said I saw a kid in my class and you would have got the same point across.
J epworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:33 PM   #258
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

He bolded the "Chinese" part, as a way of saying "why does it matter that ethnicity he was?"
Old 08-18-2011, 09:09 PM   #259
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J epworth kendal View Post
He means you could have just as easily have said I saw a kid in my class and you would have got the same point across.
well it would help that the kid spoke very little English and to add that it was taking the notes in Chinese so that is why I stated where he was from. Sorry if I offended anyone, it's not like he opened his own fake iStore...
Old 08-18-2011, 09:17 PM   #260
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
well it would help that the kid spoke very little English and to add that it was taking the notes in Chinese so that is why I stated where he was from. Sorry if I offended anyone, it's not like he opened his own fake iStore...
It really is just a comment on how in NA society the white male is the dominant social class and all other race/gender combinations have to be labeled to describe them as different from the normal. By identifying them as Chinese, rather that just as a normal person, you are actively participating (probably unknowingly) in the racist attitudes that they need to deal with on a daily basis.

And not that anyone cares, but I watched a really interesting video on this topic the other day, and here is a segment that relates to this phenomena:

The 1:00 mark is where it starts

Last edited by Rathji; 08-18-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Rathji is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rathji For This Useful Post: