Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2014, 06:15 PM   #21
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post

Transformers was too intense, first one was survivable but then it all went off the rails.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...OhUpK3Fv8#t=20

Your argument is invalid.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:21 PM   #22
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Even Michael Bay himself acknowledged that Transformers 2 was crap.

MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:08 PM   #23
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Bad Boys 2 is an infinitely better movie than Bad Boys 1.
IMO Bad Boys 2 is one of the all-time worst movies ever. At the end I wanted both Will Smith and Martin Lawerence's characters killed by a painful torturous death that rivalled having to sit through 2.5 hours of two grown men acting like they were having a period.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2014, 07:13 PM   #24
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Smith and Lawrence killed many more innocents in the movie than the "villains" did. They were truly the villains of that movie.

Ebert's review sums it up quite nicely. http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/bad-boys-ii-2003

Quote:
There is an ugly scene in "Bad Boys II" that I want to tell you about. A cop played by Martin Lawrence is alarmed that his 15-year-old daughter is going out on her first date. We see the girl, pretty and hopeful in her new dress, being fussed over by her mother. The doorbell rings, and Lawrence opens it to confront her date, a nervous 15-year-old boy, tall and thin, neatly dressed.

Marcus and his partner (Will Smith) intimidate the boy without mercy. He is threatened with the unspeakable if he lays a hand on the girl. They demand to know if he is a virgin. They slap him with the N-word. At one point a gun is pulled on him. "Ever had sex with a man?" Smith asks. Then with a leer: "Want to?" The boy is terrified.

The needless cruelty of this scene took me out of the movie and into the minds of its makers. What were they thinking? Have they so lost touch with human nature that they think audiences will like this scene? Do they think it's funny? Did the actors voice any objections? It's the job of the producer to keep a film on track; did Jerry Bruckheimer notice anything distasteful? Or is it possible that everyone connected with the film has become so desensitized by the relentless cynical aggression of movies like this that the scene passed without comment? "Bad Boys II" is a bloated, unpleasant assembly-line extrusion in which there are a lot of chases and a lot of killings and explosions.
Quote:
What happens next is kind of sickening. The Hummer speeds down a hillside entirely covered by the tarpaper shanties of poor people. Walls and roofs, doors and windows, dogs and chickens, corrugated iron and curtains, all fly into the air as the Hummer cuts a swath through this settlement. And I'm thinking, people live there. There's a quick mention that drug production takes place on the hillside, but still: Dozens of poor shantytown dwellers must have been killed, not that the movie notices.

There was once a time when a hero would sacrifice his own life rather than injure innocent bystanders. No longer. The heroes of "Bad Boys II" are egotistical monsters, concerned only with their power, their one-liners, their weapons, their cars, their desires. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that characters who wipe out a village can also make cruel jokes at the expense of a kid on his first date. Everybody involved in this project needs to do some community service.

Last edited by trackercowe; 01-07-2014 at 07:15 PM.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:14 PM   #25
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
Even Michael Bay himself acknowledged that Transformers 2 was crap.

If Michael Bay had wanted to think the movie sucked he shouldn't have had Optimus hit Megatron with a tree. His own argument is invalid.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:14 PM   #26
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is the most disappointing "meltdown" in the history of meltdowns.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:20 PM   #27
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I'm with nik-.

Not much of a meltdown, although kind of odd. And if I was in that audience to see Michael Bay (why?) I would be pissed.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:21 PM   #28
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

maybe he had the squirts
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:14 PM   #29
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Bad Boys II is racist, stupid, excessively violent, outrageous cruel and utterly flawless.

It's the very definition of a movie that's amazing if you buy in to it's style, and unbearable if you don't.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:03 PM   #30
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

No Michael Bay thread is complete without me.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VANFLAMESFAN For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2014, 01:29 AM   #31
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Not really a freak out or meltdown. Just stage fright. Guy is obviously a poor public speaker. Might be something he wants to work on, but I don't know how it's anything that is bad or his fault.

You gotta figure a lot of people use prompters in those situations, especially when you have to stay on topic to pitch a product.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:33 AM   #32
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daradon View Post
Not really a freak out or meltdown. Just stage fright. Guy is obviously a poor public speaker. Might be something he wants to work on, but I don't know how it's anything that is bad or his fault.

You gotta figure a lot of people use prompters in those situations, especially when you have to stay on topic to pitch a product.
Stage fright or whatever it's pretty bizarre to see a man of his power in Hollywood just clam up and walk off stage without uttering a word leaving a large crowd of spectators thinking; "WTF did I just see?". I've seen him do interviews before and he looked very comfortable on the stage until the teleprompter messes up. It appears that he wasn't really prepared about the product or the message he was supposed to convey and showed up to read a teleprompter and collect a cheque. The teleprompter screws up and he really had no idea what he was there for or what the TV was about.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:21 AM   #33
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
Smith and Lawrence killed many more innocents in the movie than the "villains" did. They were truly the villains of that movie.

Ebert's review sums it up quite nicely. http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/bad-boys-ii-2003
The scene with the kid picking up the daughter for a date disgusted me. Ebert nails it on the head. I still enjoyed the crazy action, but I really didn't get WTF Will Smith was thinking doing that scene. How could he even remotely find that funny?
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:12 AM   #34
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The scene with the kid picking up the daughter for a date disgusted me. Ebert nails it on the head. I still enjoyed the crazy action, but I really didn't get WTF Will Smith was thinking doing that scene. How could he even remotely find that funny?
I thought that scene was funny when I first saw it. But I was like 14, so maybe that's what they're going for. Even though it's an 18+ movie.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:19 AM   #35
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Because Michael Bay is a thoughtless fool?
Old 01-08-2014, 10:27 AM   #36
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Because Michael Bay is a thoughtless fool?
I was more bothered that will smith did it. He is supposed to be such a family guy and has done some real poignant work. This was lower than an Apatow flick.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:31 AM   #37
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
That scene is 3 minutes and 57 seconds long. The other two and a half hours of the movie are hot garbage.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:34 AM   #38
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I was more bothered that will smith did it. He is supposed to be such a family guy and has done some real poignant work. This was lower than an Apatow flick.
You always want to make the person in charge happy. Michael Bay is responsible for explaining Will Smith's motivation in that scene, and he's responsible for its content.

Apatow movies are crude, but they have an emotional core. Michael Bay makes soulless, cynical diarrhea 90% of the time. The other ten percent is good ####.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:45 AM   #39
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
That scene is 3 minutes and 57 seconds long. The other two and a half hours of the movie are hot garbage.
Which one was that? I remember Shia talking to a Transformer that was using a tree as a crutch and then shut it off. Unwatchable drivel.

That said, it doesnt really reflect on Bay as a person or a public speaker.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:08 AM   #40
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

You would think a guy that controls sets using 100's of extra's/crew members and self-righteous movie stars would be able to speak publicly though.