Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: If the election were held today, which party/ candidate of a party would you be votin
Alberta Party 1 50.00%
United Conservative Party 0 0%
New Democratic Party 0 0%
Alberta Liberal Party 0 0%
Freedom Conservative Party 0 0%
Other 0 0%
I will not vote in this election 0 0%
Undecided 1 50.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 01:03 AM   #201
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Thanks I was hoping for an explanation.
No problem.

Your post strongly suggested you needed one.
Old 03-31-2019, 10:02 AM   #202
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
It’s not just technically right. It’s a fact. Many union members/supporters will vote UCP in this election and you’d probably be surprised by how many more would vote for the UCP if their platform didn’t include promises to repeal pro-union legislation.
Mostly agree with this post. I know many union members who will never vote NDP. Most of them are heavily in favour of the UCP policy on certification too.
Old 03-31-2019, 10:10 AM   #203
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
My wife is a teacher too. Overwhelming majority of the staff in her school is going to vote NDP, no matter what. Unions will always back NDP, especially, when their party has a decent chance to stay in power. More vocal/active staff members go as far as preaching how NOT voting for NDP is akin to betraying "the progress made". I think it is pretty naive to believe that their motivation is purely education-centered and not financial.
How do you decide who you vote for?

Many people just vote straight on pocket book.
Old 03-31-2019, 10:39 AM   #204
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Most of them are heavily in favour of the UCP policy on certification too.
That’s interesting, I haven’t met or heard of a single union member who has been in favour of this change, let alone heavily in favour of it. Not saying your statement isn’t true, I’m just surprised that you’ve managed to find so many people heavily in favour of this change.
Old 03-31-2019, 05:18 PM   #205
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

I got the Freedom Conservative Party followed closely by the Green Party on the voting compass. Is that an indictment of my character or the Voting Compass?
Old 04-01-2019, 10:23 AM   #206
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
How do you decide who you vote for?

Many people just vote straight on pocket book.
I vote for the party who's values most represent my own.
In the long run it's more important than how many more or less dollars I have in my wallet at the end of the day.
The Following User Says Thank You to craigwd For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2019, 10:40 AM   #207
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That’s interesting, I haven’t met or heard of a single union member who has been in favour of this change, let alone heavily in favour of it. Not saying your statement isn’t true, I’m just surprised that you’ve managed to find so many people heavily in favour of this change.
Admittedly the sample is limited to a single employer that was certified based on the newer rules. These people are not happy with the result and feel they were never given the chance to have their say on the matter as it never went to a vote.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:52 AM   #208
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not voting for the Freedom Conservative Party but I happened to see their Foothills Candidate in person and she's an absolute stunner.
Old 04-01-2019, 11:15 AM   #209
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I'm not voting for the Freedom Conservative Party but I happened to see their Foothills Candidate in person and she's an absolute stunner.
If we're doing a pageant, Alberta party candidate for Calgary Foothills beats her hands down.
Old 04-01-2019, 11:35 AM   #210
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Admittedly the sample is limited to a single employer that was certified based on the newer rules. These people are not happy with the result and feel they were never given the chance to have their say on the matter as it never went to a vote.
That’s fair enough, but there isn’t anything preventing them from voicing their concerns now. At the end of the day since it’s clear that over 51% of the employees wanted to form a union they would be in the same position with or without the vote.
Old 04-01-2019, 11:55 AM   #211
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That’s fair enough, but there isn’t anything preventing them from voicing their concerns now. At the end of the day since it’s clear that over 51% of the employees wanted to form a union they would be in the same position with or without the vote.
If it's so obvious that people who sign union cards are never pressured into it and would always vote for unions, why does the union movement fight so hard for card-sign certification? Wouldn't a vote be just as good?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2019, 12:20 PM   #212
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
If it's so obvious that people who sign union cards are never pressured into it and would always vote for unions, why does the union movement fight so hard for card-sign certification? Wouldn't a vote be just as good?
Employer interference/intimidation during the period between the application being made and the vote actually happening is the issue, it’s usually about a 2 week waiting period. When your boss calls you in for a meeting with no witnesses and threatens to fire you if the vote goes through it can change your mind pretty quickly.

The only recourse at that point is to file a complaint with the board, to do so you will be called to testify against your boss and since there is no certainty of outcome that you will win the case most employees are too scared to do so because if their termination is upheld their complaint will be made public and any other employer considering hiring them would be able to see it after a quick google search of their name. I don’t think most people would disagree that companies might be a little more than hesitant to hire people who took their last employer to court.

On the other side of the coin there is very little retribution a union or a coworker who supported the union could take on an employee who made a complaint about being coerced into signing a card. Your employer certainly isn’t going to dissuade you from doing so either. The automatic certification legislation is there to protect employees and it does just that. Of all the provinces that have such legislation the 65% threshold in Alberta is the highest. It’s an absolute joke that Kenney is going to repeal this and is also very telling of who he is actually looking out for. I’ll give you a hint: it isn’t workers(the majority of Albertans)

Last edited by iggy_oi; 04-01-2019 at 12:23 PM.
Old 04-03-2019, 07:39 PM   #213
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Not to derail this further but

Injecting aerosols into the stratosphere and carbon capture from the air would be two magic technologies that could prevent or delay global warming.
Or, you know, put a stop to the deforestation that has been going on around the world. There's already a technology that's pretty good at removing CO2 from the atmosphere, and it's been around a lot longer than humans have...

Quote:
However if you read the most recent Climate change report its over. We can not prevent significant impacts from warming by cutting CO2 emmissions. It’s time to make drastic and more risky interventions.
We can't prevent significant impacts (we are already beginning to feel some of them), but it is generally believed that we can still prevent a runaway positive feedback loop, which would make the Earth uninhabitable for humans.

However, if we are to embrace the notion that it's already too late to prevent worldwide coastal flooding and the displacement of hundreds of millions of people, it's time to take a long hard look at accountability. We didn't get to this point by accident, we got to this point by actual decisions being made by actual people.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mathgod For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 04-03-2019, 09:02 PM   #214
Bend it like Bourgeois
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Pfft you act like secret ballots are some crazy democratic foundation that lets people vote in private free from coercion or repercussions.

We should probably do away with it altogether and run elections with your union steward collecting the card you ‘choose’ to sign while he and his mates keep a careful eye to make sure you aren’t coerced. It’s the only way to be fair
Old 04-04-2019, 08:11 AM   #215
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Can we reset the poll again this week and next and see how we evolve?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to puckedoff For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2019, 01:53 PM   #216
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
Can we reset the poll again this week and next and see how we evolve?
Meteorite is likely to make huge gains.
Old 04-04-2019, 01:57 PM   #217
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Probably worth making a new thread tomorrow in the wake of the debate.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 04-04-2019, 02:02 PM   #218
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree, after the debate is a good idea
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2019, 05:49 PM   #219
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry if already posted. . .

There is some gold in the drinking game.

https://www.macleans.ca/politics/the...ey-must-avoid/

Edit: posted on the wrong thread

Last edited by DoubleK; 04-04-2019 at 07:45 PM.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:47 AM   #220
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

How about that new poll?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread