Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2016, 03:34 PM   #601
doctajones428
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
On the other hand, it makes catching that rare Pokeman all the sweeter.

Plus, I've caught so many Pidgeys, Rattatas, and Weedles that when I do my 'evolve spree' for XP I should be able to clear 3 levels in a single swoop. Probably more if I decide to take another walk in downtown Red Deer today.
That is true. One of the 10 that wasn't trash was actually a Bulbasaur so I shouldn't be complaining, but it just kinda sucks when you're a level 6, have yet to find a lucky egg for an evolving spree and haven't really been able to go on a serious long hunt yet because you're recovering from some health issues. Not trying to complain or anything, I'm sure I'll get completely absorbed and into the swing of things in no time. I'm just really, really itching to play, lol
doctajones428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 03:48 PM   #602
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctajones428 View Post
That is true. One of the 10 that wasn't trash was actually a Bulbasaur so I shouldn't be complaining, but it just kinda sucks when you're a level 6, have yet to find a lucky egg for an evolving spree and haven't really been able to go on a serious long hunt yet because you're recovering from some health issues. Not trying to complain or anything, I'm sure I'll get completely absorbed and into the swing of things in no time. I'm just really, really itching to play, lol
You don't "find" lucky eggs. You get one at level 9 and another at 10.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 04:00 PM   #603
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
You mean a game with minimal revenue generating add ons and no ads and no product placement isn't a money tree? Shocker.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-ni...-idUSKCN10504G

They'll put ads in and start charging for BS soon enough though and fix this.
To be fair, the 18% drop in Nintendo stocks is less of a big deal given that it rose 80% initially due to Pokemon Go. Therefore, I'm still jealous that I don't own Nintendo shares lol.
Old 07-25-2016, 04:45 PM   #604
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
You mean a game with minimal revenue generating add ons and no ads and no product placement isn't a money tree? Shocker.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-ni...-idUSKCN10504G

They'll put ads in and start charging for BS soon enough though and fix this.
Pokemon Go is currently the top grossing game on Google Play according to my phone. Ahead of "Mobile Strike" (you know, the Arnold commercials), "Game of War" (you know, the Kate Upton commercials), and "Clash of Clans" (I don't remember the ads for this one), so I imagine it's doing okay.

The article is more about how they were correcting investors who thought Nintendo single handedly make and own Pokemon and Pokemon Go. Like was mentioned earlier in this thread, they'll get some of the profits, and it will still be a large amount of money.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:25 PM   #605
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh dear.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2846577/po.../?sf31735396=1
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:28 PM   #606
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
True, but they still own something like a 33% stake in the company that did.
And wouldn't they own all the merchandising rights? Pokemon merch sells a ton in Japan, I assume this is going to cause a huge revival in NA now too.

Although the crashing stock price also has to do with the server issues, and delayed release in Japan.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:36 PM   #607
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's going to generate hundreds of millions in revenue. There share price went up billions in market cap and didn't support what will likely become the most money earning game of all time.

It monitizes better than candy crush and its retention rate is higher.

When they decide to go to Pay to win and exploit every last cent out of addicts you will see them with a way to direct purchase dust.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:39 PM   #608
doctajones428
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
You don't "find" lucky eggs. You get one at level 9 and another at 10.
Really? I had no idea, thought I was just having awful luck. That makes me feel way better
Old 07-25-2016, 06:57 PM   #609
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

I had a massive run at the Galaxy Diner today: Pikachu (hatched), Seel (CP 186!), Pidgeot (CP251!!!), Growlithe (CP181!) and a Pokesite that I spun for about a dozen balls, an incubator and a bunch of revives and Potions. I would bet 15 items in the one spin. I probably caught twenty creatures while eating, and adding supplies every five minutes.
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nage Waza For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2016, 09:16 PM   #610
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Almost hate to mention it but I think it's a good topic to discuss. Pokevision (basically shows you the spawns, timer and location of Pokemon in any area) really feels like it's breaking the spirit of the game. I know I can ignore it and play the game I'd want to play, while those who'd want the easy path to collecting them all can just look at a Web page..
Still, almost wish that it wasn't there since it breaks a bit of the belief.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:45 PM   #611
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
Almost hate to mention it but I think it's a good topic to discuss. Pokevision (basically shows you the spawns, timer and location of Pokemon in any area) really feels like it's breaking the spirit of the game. I know I can ignore it and play the game I'd want to play, while those who'd want the easy path to collecting them all can just look at a Web page..
I really don't see it as any worse than individuals who played the original game using either the missingno cheat or the level 120/level 250 snorlax pokemon cheat. You can choose to play that way, or not.

The biggest detriment to enjoying this game is just focusing too much on how others are playing the game. Enjoy what you have and play how you want to. Speed run and completionist mentality is ruining games for some people IMO.

I am level 18. My best 6 pokemon (level + diff ones) are:

1089 Vaporeon (Eevee Evo)
784 Hypno (Drowzee evo)
736 Venomoth (Caught)
731 Jynx (caught)
717 Kingler (Krabby Evo)
709 Hypno (Drowzee Evo)
699 Golbat (Zubat Evo)

I am working on a Vileplume (oddish), Nidoking/Nidoqueen (Nidorans) and a Gengar (Gastly). Don't underestimate waiting for a solid 300-400 CP base pokemon and evolve it up to greater heights and the process that makes it so sweet when you finally achieve it. I use these pokemon to take out gyms no problem. Most of the above evos happened accidentally. I just evolved everything and anything when I was doing the lucky egg strategy and I went from average 300-400 CP pokemon to average 700.

Would it be awesome to find a powerful Aerodactyl or Dragonite? Totally. Could I grind hardcore to get a whole half dozen pokemon over 1000 CP? Probably. But I want play the game and "stop to smell the roses" by enjoying the process so to speak and not rely on sitting at lures for days/weeks on end. I mean, if speed running or completionism is your thing, go for it. But don't feel like it has to be that way.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2016, 10:05 PM   #612
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh absolutely, I've embraced the fact that there's no need for me to compete or compare to others. I suppose a better reason for my distaste of it is because I'm tempted to use that resource which breaks my own ideal for the game.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:35 PM   #613
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Oh absolutely, I've embraced the fact that there's no need for me to compete or compare to others. I suppose a better reason for my distaste of it is because I'm tempted to use that resource which breaks my own ideal for the game.
There probably wouldn't be a need for it if the 3 steps bug would get fixed.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:45 PM   #614
doctajones428
First Line Centre

Exp:

The only people that bug me in general that play this game, and when I'm out playing, is people who think it's smart to play in their cars slowly creeping from Pokestop to Pokestop in a park, or anywhere for that matter (Dude with learners permit rolling around in his brand new, dirt covered Camaro). Like really, it's a total waste of gas, and for the most part, walking would be quicker and easier. Not to mention it's equal to, and in many cases, more dangerous than texting and driving because naturally more people are out walking around these vehicles
Old 07-26-2016, 02:53 AM   #615
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Had a successful Pikachu hunt tonight - caught two down at Shouldice (yeah, found out about the nest from the Google sheet).

Have 83 pokemon now... many more to go.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 07:36 AM   #616
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Caught Wartortle outside my office, good way to start the day.

Also, everyone hates the 2km eggs, but I hatched a Pikachu from one yesterday with relatively high CP.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:59 AM   #617
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Caught Wartortle outside my office, good way to start the day.

Also, everyone hates the 2km eggs, but I hatched a Pikachu from one yesterday with relatively high CP.
Yea, I just got a 390 from a 2km egg.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:07 AM   #618
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

So is my understanding correct that as I level up, I can continue to "power up" the guys I caught at lower levels, and their CP will continuously grow? I understand that they cannot have more CP than their little arc thing, but if I level up from say 8 to 9, does that arc change?

I guess the only consideration with that would be the amount of stardust I am using.
Old 07-26-2016, 09:32 AM   #619
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
So is my understanding correct that as I level up, I can continue to "power up" the guys I caught at lower levels, and their CP will continuously grow? I understand that they cannot have more CP than their little arc thing, but if I level up from say 8 to 9, does that arc change?

I guess the only consideration with that would be the amount of stardust I am using.
Yes, the arc changes as you level up. For example, say you're a lvl 5 trainer and your bulbasaur is maxed (arc is filled). when you look at the same bulbasaur once you're a higher level (lets say a lvl 10 trainer now), the arc would have shifted so you have room to power it up some more.
Flaming Choy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flaming Choy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2016, 10:05 AM   #620
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Also, I don't believe it accounts for lures and incense. Still didn't prevent my co-worker from randomly sprinting out to the Saddledome to grab some kind of rare Pokemon in the middle of the afternoon lol.