Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-12-2007, 01:49 PM   #1
NSFL
Random Title Change!

Exp:
Default Small write up on prospects

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=...ticleid=332581

Talks about some of the guys that will/might end up in the QC this season. Also big hoopla about our goaltending prospects.

NSFL=Not So Funny Lady. But I will also accept Not Safe For Life and Not Sober For Long.

You know you wanna read about nail polish:

http://polish-holic.blogspot.com/

Last edited by NSFL; 07-12-2007 at 02:35 PM.
NSFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 02:26 PM   #2
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

"Prust came very, very close to have put himself in position to play here this fall," Button said. "His versatility is a key as well as his energy and toughness. He's willing to step up and fill that
kind of role. Brandon is a hard guy to play against. That's what makes him so good. He played both wings and center. Center helped him keep moving and be more involved in the play"

That versatility could be what lands him the 13th forward spot out of camp.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 02:49 PM   #3
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Decent enough write-up by NHL.com standards (outside of the curious Richie Regehr mention).

Not as in-depth as would be preferable, owing to brevity. But nice things being said about the prospects minus hype.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:06 PM   #4
JiriHrdina

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Decent enough write-up by NHL.com standards (outside of the curious Richie Regehr mention).

Not as in-depth as would be preferable, owing to brevity. But nice things being said about the prospects minus hype.
The inclusion of comments from the scouts is nice.

That being said Peddle>nhl.com.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:39 PM   #5
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Yeah, other than the Button quotes, not much new here.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 05:53 PM   #6
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
"Prust came very, very close to have put himself in position to play here this fall," Button said. "His versatility is a key as well as his energy and toughness. He's willing to step up and fill that
kind of role. Brandon is a hard guy to play against. That's what makes him so good. He played both wings and center. Center helped him keep moving and be more involved in the play"

That versatility could be what lands him the 13th forward spot out of camp.
Sounds like they prefer Prust at centre. Heir apparent for Yelle, I'd guess, if he reaches his potential.

Mildly surprising, when talking about defencemen, they mention Baldwin and not Pelech. The writer could be just cherry picking though.

Last edited by Vulcan; 07-12-2007 at 05:56 PM.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:01 PM   #7
JiriHrdina

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Sounds like they prefer Prust at centre. Heir apparent for Yelle, I'd guess, if he reaches his potential.

Mildly surprising, when talking about defencemen, they mention Baldwin and not Pelech. The writer could be just cherry picking though.
Could be but we've also heard a couple of comments from the organization that lead me to believe that they view the two as on par w/ each other or perhaps Baldwin even futher ahead at this point than Pelech. That's some interpetation on my part though.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:36 PM   #8
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Too many omissions. No mention of Taratukhin for instance.

I think it was just a case of the writer tossing out a few names. It's by no means a comphrensive breakdown of the organization.

Last edited by Reggie Dunlop; 07-12-2007 at 09:30 PM.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:48 PM   #9
NSFL
Random Title Change!

Exp:

That's why I called it a small write up. I think it was mostly just the writer picking a few names he thought less knowledgeable fans would know and then doing a bit of a write up. Maybe he was worried about losing someone's attention.

NSFL=Not So Funny Lady. But I will also accept Not Safe For Life and Not Sober For Long.

You know you wanna read about nail polish:

http://polish-holic.blogspot.com/
NSFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:51 PM   #10
Drunk Skunk
Obscure Jersey Wiz

Exp:

So the consensus is that Prust will make the big club this year? Bummer.

Minor league attitude, major league pain
Drunk Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:41 PM   #11
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk Skunk View Post
Not at all.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:48 PM   #12
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
Could be but we've also heard a couple of comments from the organization that lead me to believe that they view the two as on par w/ each other or perhaps Baldwin even futher ahead at this point than Pelech. That's some interpetation on my part though.
So it may be safe to say that Sutter hasn't done any cartwheels yet over Pelech's progress. Not saying Pelech isn't still a fine prospect.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:52 PM   #13
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
So it may be safe to say that Sutter hasn't done any cartwheels yet over Pelech's progress. Not saying Pelech isn't still a fine prospect.
Not what I've heard. Pelech is coming off a fine season.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:02 AM   #14
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk Skunk View Post
There appears to be one forward spot open for a rookie. The consensus seems to be that Taratukhin is the most ready but Prust's toughness is a valuable commodity for the Flames too. Others with a decent chance are Boyd, Nystrom, Van Der Gulik, Germyn and Stevenson. Some feel Moss hasn't guaranteed his job yet and there could always be a surprise like Lombardi a few years ago.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:01 PM   #15
Hunter74
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wonder when the next write up will be on Flames prospects and were the organization views them. Would be nice to have one before training camp so that we can all start predicting which players may ake the team and which are going back to QC. On the other hand it would be cool to have one after training to see if training camp performances affected the ratings of some prospects.

One before and after would be awsome. Man I wish I was in Calgary so that I could go to training camp and watch these guys do there thing.
Hunter74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 11:57 AM   #16
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There appears to be one forward spot open for a rookie. The consensus seems to be that Taratukhin is the most ready but Prust's toughness is a valuable commodity for the Flames too. Others with a decent chance are Boyd, Nystrom, Van Der Gulik, Germyn and Stevenson. Some feel Moss hasn't guaranteed his job yet and there could always be a surprise like Lombardi a few years ago.
Moss has pretty much guaranteed his job. They traded Kobasew to make room. For him.

"Media" // Managing Editor @ FlamesNation // Flames contributor at Sporting News Canada // Twitter
// Sometimes you can see me in the background of scrums on TV or hear me on the radio // PHWA member // Knows more about arena finance than the mayor of Calgary, according to the mayor of Calgary
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 01:38 PM   #17
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
Moss has pretty much guaranteed his job. They traded Kobasew to make room. For him.

41 career games does not guarantee anything. Another sub-par camp and Mr. Moss could find himself back in the AHL. Keenan is not going to mollycoddle a youngster.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:05 PM   #18
Brad Marsh
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
The Kobasew trade made some additional room for Moss, but I don't think that's why they made the trade. I think having Moss play so well allowed them to make the trade, but I think they dealt Kobasew because that's who Boston wanted in exchange for Brad Stuart.

I agree with Reggie^^^. I'm really looking forward to the competition between the young players for the one or two roster spots available. Moss will have to outshine some great young talent to secure his place with the big club come October. I don't think he'll disappoint, but it's far from a sure thing.
Brad Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote