Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-23-2023, 09:55 AM   #5921
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully Borjan doesn't try any keep ups in the 61st minute only to give up 2 goals in the next 5 minutes.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 12:39 PM   #5922
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Hopefully Borjan doesn't try any keep ups in the 61st minute only to give up 2 goals in the next 5 minutes.
Hopefully he doesn't make the trip.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2023, 01:25 PM   #5923
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ Agree. He's been a loyal player for Canada, suffered through some dark eras, finally got his chance to be in a World Cup, etc. But I do think that it is time to move on and pass the torch.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2023, 07:34 PM   #5924
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Canada, with the uncertain assumption they get past T&T, gets Peru, Chile and Messi, in Copa America's group stage.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 07:29 AM   #5925
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if they can leverage Copa and Messi into some dual nationals committing?

“Hey Luca Koleosho. I know we royally screwed up when you were in our camp and now you’re an Italy U21, but Messi!”

Might work.
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 09:14 AM   #5926
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Canada, with the uncertain assumption they get past T&T, gets Peru, Chile and Messi, in Copa America's group stage.
This could be a blessing or a waste of time qualifying at all.

Peru and Chile havent been in scintillating form and Argentina could be in a 'Championship Hangover.'

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

The World Ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. - Flames Fans
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 10:41 AM   #5927
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
This could be a blessing or a waste of time qualifying at all.

Peru and Chile havent been in scintillating form and Argentina could be in a 'Championship Hangover.'
Soooo....you're saying we're a Lock(e) to get through?!
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 02:42 PM   #5928
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

its good that they will be playing in World Cup stadiums in America and not the landmines in South America.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 03:09 PM   #5929
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/podcasts/p...went-1.7055347

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 03:24 PM   #5930
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

"I knew Canada, from an organizational perspective, we weren't ready. We weren't ready," Herdman says. "And the players? You know, when you see what happened in June and the 'me', had already shifted. The 'we' had gone to 'me'."

I feel bad for the guy losing his sister, but throwing the players under the bus is not endearing. Perhaps he should not have sent his players out to attack and press so high up the pitch. Great achievement to get Canada to the World Cup, but one of the worst performances of all time once they got there.
MegaErtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 03:58 PM   #5931
Matty81
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I feel sympathy for him too but overall not a good look expressing regret and criticizing the program and players publicly like that at this stage in his career, most senior leaders are a bit more polished than that and express those kinds of sentiments confidentially. Would think his TFC players will be wondering if he has their back long run now.

Everyone knows that the CSA is constantly broke, shoestring and half assed and the amount of protesting from the NT players has frankly been tiresome over the last year, taking more money for themselves from a program that barely manages to stand up youth teams, but I just don't know what airing this achieves aside from trying to excuse his tactical ineptitude at the WC
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 04:26 PM   #5932
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

You see what people are really about when money comes into the picture. It's unfortunate, because the amount of money everyone is clamouring over is a fraction of what is needed to develop the game at all levels in this country.

The bandwagon emptied 18 months ago and has been gone longer than it was around.

Over the last decade we've built a really good community in Calgary in support of both the pro club and the national teams and are very slowly starting to build a culture in the city. People have stopped caring about this battle. Just get a deal done and move on with it.

Old 12-12-2023, 11:34 PM   #5933
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

I get the sentiment that maybe he was throwing the team under the bus a bit with that comment, but don't think that's the intention. The MNT finally, after decades, has a platform big enough to properly outline the ineptness and lies that their National association has tried to pull on them and the country, not just now but for decades. Previously all of those complaints got suppressed and no one cared. Only 2-3 years later, becuase of this spotlight, did the clandestine CSB CSA agreement get uncovered, affecting all of soccer in the country and how it's managed.

Herdman had used all of that internal anger by turning it into motivation in qualifying. Job was done, and players, sure had to look for themselves a bit, while they could, because they know that this was a chance. But he lost that motivational piece going forward. And sure, which players wouldn't have some swagger to be in the WC?

Obviously Herdman had a lot of other things on his plate with family matters and resultant soul searching, as he had done a few times previously with his career, caught up with him again...and the realization that he had to look out for himself too career wise, as he was wanted for other jobs, and his career needed to not include begging people and sponsors for money for supporting the national team.

That said him stepping away then in Summer 2022 would've been terrible. He deserves the reward for singlehandedly (along with a COVID reset of qualifying) willing that group of players to hit well above their weight class for not just a game or two, but all of qualifying.

Even in the WC, even if he didn't have the bullets in the gun to motivate players like he did through qualifying, the players were further disenchanted with its association (have they been paid for the WC yet?), he still kept them cohesive.
Sure some tactical issues like keeping Hutchinson out there way too long in the middle of the field.
But a Davies PK goes in vs Belgium after all the early pressure and who knows, wasn't hard to conceive them winning that one considering how poor Belgium was. Even with the Croatia game the same, a cross bar against Morrocco and could've been 2nd round.

Anyways, Herdman is the reason Canada got to the WC in 2022, and besides that Cinderella story and enjoyment, it brought CSA issues finally to light, which is also positive and depressing. It remains to be seen whether the day to day responsibility of club soccer is for him, but he's getting paid at TFC, and given his success with the WNT and MNT, he will be coaching for as long as he wishes, somewhere.

Last edited by browna; 12-12-2023 at 11:39 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2023, 12:28 PM   #5934
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Step 1 in rebuilding the CSA seems to be in place.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1738288334529585532

Last edited by shermanator; 12-22-2023 at 01:01 PM.
Old 01-02-2024, 06:18 AM   #5935
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like Tajon Buchanan to Inter Milan is imminent.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1742136799848247334

Old 01-02-2024, 08:50 AM   #5936
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wish him well, up and down tenure in Belgium for sure, sounds like Club Brugge fans are happy to take the money. If he can force his way into the side and stay there then this will be massive for Canada

He’ll be playing RWB. I still think he’s a winger for Canada though
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 09:21 AM   #5937
Spurs
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Shocked to see him go to a club like Inter. I know many fans like him but I do not see it with him at all. So wasteful and careless with the ball.

I am not surprised to hear the Belgian fans are happy to take the money, if is he half as frustrating for them as he is for Canada I would be happy to see him go as well.

But that is a great move for him so hope he is able to put it together at Inter and comeback to Canada a much better player.
Spurs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spurs For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2024, 11:07 PM   #5938
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just hope he gets the playing time. But first Canadian to ever play Serie A. When he's good he's good, but he often floats in the background. Our top MNT players have to get better, most of them are if the age they can get better and develop better, and just hope they can all mesh when it's time for international duty, and the coaches can bring them all together in the right direction for CA and beyond.

In other news DeVos has left the CSA after doing an unremarkable job there, to go assist under Herdman at TFC.

For all his bluster years ago about promising in being an agent of change when he left TV to go there, and be transparent, he quickly realized ( though not sure how he didn't realize this when he was a player) that nothing in the CSA is allowed to be transparent, and the worst thing that happened to them as an organization and how it was running day to day, was the MNT going on a qualifying run and making the WC. No longer could they screw over players or spend time with internal power struggles, the spotlight was on them.

Don't think he was part of the problem, but certainly wasn't part of the solution either, and smart to hitch his wagon to the Herdman train.
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2024, 07:02 AM   #5939
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Buchanan to Inter is official now.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1743248480376877530

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2024, 03:25 PM   #5940
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Alphonso Davies is being heavily linked with a move to Real Madrid. Apparently his contract is up next summer and Bayern Munich want him to sign an extension or risk being sold.

I think it would be a great move. He is truly a world class player, and it would be great to see him play with such a huge club and players of similar quality.
MegaErtz is offline   Reply With Quote