Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2023, 04:50 PM   #1
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Utility Trailers

Hey CP, need a crash course on utility trailers. I have to haul some stuff to BC and want to buy a used 5x8/5x10 trailer for keeps rather than renting it.

QUESTIONS:
1) What are the rules and regulations around owning and having them on the road, especially about having them re-registered and inspected?
2) What are the key things to watch for when buying a used one? Steel vs. Aluminium vs. Wood?
3) Lastly, I’ve pulled a large U-Haul trailer twice in my life and it was a bit scary at highway speeds when trailer starts vibrating on road curves after a swerve. Any pointers to keeping it smooth would be appreciated.

… and any other helpful suggestions, of course.

Thanks!
Old 06-05-2023, 04:57 PM   #2
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
Hey CP, need a crash course on utility trailers. I have to haul some stuff to BC and want to buy a used 5x8/5x10 trailer for keeps rather than renting it.

QUESTIONS:
1) What are the rules and regulations around owning and having them on the road, especially about having them re-registered and inspected?
2) What are the key things to watch for when buying a used one? Steel vs. Aluminium vs. Wood?
3) Lastly, I’ve pulled a large U-Haul trailer twice in my life and it was a bit scary at highway speeds when trailer starts vibrating on road curves after a swerve. Any pointers to keeping it smooth would be appreciated.

… and any other helpful suggestions, of course.

Thanks!
When you load it keep the centre of gravity ahead of the trailer axles to reduce trailer sway. You want some of the weight on your truck hitch for stability, if you have more weight behind the axels it reduces weight on the hitch inviting sway.

And have your truck hitch adjusted properly so the trailer is as close to level as possible. Don't want a trailer either pointing down, or probably worse - pointing up.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2023, 05:44 PM   #3
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ll bump this thread once in a hope of more responses. Come on, CP! Need your collective wisdom.
Old 06-06-2023, 07:58 PM   #4
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

1. Needs to be registered and have a trailer plate, (they are permanent, so only have to do it once), plus insurance which is dead cheap.

2. Don't buy one of the ones that is bolted together at the store, go to a reputable trailer place like FOT (https://fot.ca/) and buy one made in Canada that is all welded together at the factory.

3. What Lubicon said and also don't buy a cheap trailer. We had a quality Canada Trailers 5x10 and towed tons back and forth past Fernie with zero issues of swaying or other.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Madman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2023, 10:50 PM   #5
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bought my trailer (5x10) from a farmer in saskatchewan who welded and built himself and then i registered it there and brought here and reregistered it in Alberta. In Saskatchewan at the time you could register a home.made trailer without an inspection and in Alberta you had to have it inspected first. Now the loophole was that once it was registered in Saskatchewan it was no longer a new trailer and didnt require an inspection. This is all useless information to you but I bought 14 years ago and still have the trailer today and works great.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 12:24 AM   #6
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is this a little bit of what you mean for point 3?
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2023, 12:29 PM   #7
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post

Is this a little bit of what you mean for point 3?
That was exactly my point, great video to illustrate the concept.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2023, 12:44 PM   #8
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Look for uneven wear on the tires (and the condition of the tires in general, including cracking). If there is uneven wear, there is a good chance the axle is bent and or the trailer has been overloaded. Check lights and wiring before purchasing as well.
Old 06-07-2023, 12:51 PM   #9
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

We used to own a cabin in BC, so I had to haul stuff over there when we bought and back when we sold it. Both times, I used a U-Haul 6 x12 double-axle cargo trailer packed to the brim with heavier items pushed all the way forward. I don’t think the load distribution was the root cause. My lack of driving experience pulling a heavy trailer likely was. But I get the point and the illustration. Thanks.

On a side note, it is impressive how well these trailers hold re-sale value.
Old 06-07-2023, 01:02 PM   #10
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We used to own a cabin in BC, so I had to haul stuff over there when we bought and back when we sold it. Both times, I used a U-Haul 6 x12 double-axle cargo trailer packed to the brim with heavier items pushed all the way forward. I don’t think the load distribution was the root cause. My lack of driving experience pulling a heavy trailer likely was. But I get the point and the illustration. Thanks.

Curiosity wise, I wonder if your weight was maybe in an "L" configuration pushed towards the front rather than a "T" configuration pushed towards the front if you're describing a sway only when turning.

If not that, then maybe bent axle and/overloaded trailer/tire pressure as mentioned by others? or over/under steer/wind resistance on the turns?
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 01:26 PM   #11
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Could have been, I guess. We sold the cabin five years ago. ��
Old 06-07-2023, 01:28 PM   #12
DFO
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Might be a dumb question but was your tow vehicle’s payload capacity appropriate for that fully loaded U-haul? I assume it didn’t have a weight distribution hitch. Being overweight can cause those headaches.
DFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 02:10 PM   #13
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty sure it was. U-Haul staff checks all this before hooking up and releasing a trailer to you.
Old 06-07-2023, 08:29 PM   #14
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
2. Don't buy one of the ones that is bolted together at the store, go to a reputable trailer place like FOT (https://fot.ca/) and buy one made in Canada that is all welded together at the factory.
I'm curious, what exactly is worse on these bolt together ones? Durability? Towing characteristics? I ask as a rookie to the world of trailers who may need one in the future.

$1,599 is a heckuva low price for a fully galvanized 4.5 x 7 ft trailer.... what's the catch?

https://www.costco.ca/dk2-4.5-ft.-x-...100412204.html
I-Hate-Hulse is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2023, 09:49 PM   #15
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

This one has no ramp and is galvanised instead of galvalume’d, so it will rust a bit faster. Marathon trailers sold by Home Depot are made in Canada and very nice.
Old 06-08-2023, 07:52 AM   #16
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
I'm curious, what exactly is worse on these bolt together ones? Durability? Towing characteristics? I ask as a rookie to the world of trailers who may need one in the future.

$1,599 is a heckuva low price for a fully galvanized 4.5 x 7 ft trailer.... what's the catch?

https://www.costco.ca/dk2-4.5-ft.-x-...100412204.html
For sure both of those are concerns. For example, go look at one of the Canadian Tire ones they have out front of the stores that are bolted together and then go see a Canada Trailers one that are welded - the difference, (in my opinion), is huge. You'll also want to look at what wheels and tires are used, some of the cheaper trailers will have teeny little tires which are terrible on the highway and lead to a lot of the towing issues described.

We used to load our golf cart, full loads of lumber, empty, whatever, and there was never any issues with towing or anything. I see these cheap trailers on the highway all the time and cringe.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Madman For This Useful Post: