Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2024, 07:26 AM   #2241
simmer2
Franchise Player

Exp:

I randomly talked with Don Maloney a few weeks ago and he said the arena will be a lot like Detroit's.
simmer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to simmer2 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2024, 07:31 AM   #2242
flamefan74
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
I believe the layout of the seating bowl will be nearly identical to Little Caesars, and also very similar to Rogers Place. That's not surprising since all 3 buildings are designed by HOK.

Spoilers for big images...
Spoiler!

When comparing the new development permit application to the 2021 design, the biggest difference is the new Event Level will be about 4.5m lower, which likely means the full lower bowl will be below street level. You will enter the building onto the main concourse and you will be at the top of the lower bowl.

In the 2021 design, you would have been about 2/3 of the way up the lower bowl on the concourse. When you entered the lower bowl from the concourse, there would have been about 15 rows in front of you to the ice and another 10 rows behind, with a Club level mezzanine at the top of the bowl.

In the new design (based on the excavation plan), you will likely be at the top of the bowl and there will be a club section one level down. Both Detroit and Edmonton have this same layout.

I suspect everything above the lower bowl level will be the same as the 2021 design (which is very similar to Little Caesars). The 2021 design had a "balcony" level above the upper bowl that would have likely been similar to the Gondola seats in Detroit (overhanging the upper bowl like a press box).

Rogers Place ceiling looks like someone closed the lid on that toilet, now they're just waiting for someone to flush it. The roof panels at LC brighten up the place and make it feel more comfortable, for lack of a better word. Hope the new event center will have something like that.
flamefan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamefan74 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2024, 08:02 AM   #2243
GFG#1
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Innovation often means being the first to make a mistake – which is why the Saddledome was the first and last arena built the way it was. All subsequent projects benefited by not repeating the same mistakes.
That is incorrect. The Saddledome was modelled after an arena built in 1971 in Sweden. This list shows multiple buildings similar in shape to the dome going back to 1952 with the Scandinavium being the closest, and then another one built in London in 2011.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...oid_structures
GFG#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to GFG#1 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2024, 08:34 AM   #2244
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Also wasn't the Capital Centre built before the Saddledome? Same roofline right?
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 08:35 AM   #2245
Toonage

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmer2 View Post
I randomly talked with Don Maloney a few weeks ago and he said the arena will be a lot like Detroit's.
I randomly talked to him a few weeks ago and he asked me to get out of his house.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2024, 08:50 AM   #2246
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
I randomly talked to him a few weeks ago and he asked me to get out of his house.
You too? He really didnt want to talk hockey, he was more obsessed about how I got in.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2024, 08:50 AM   #2247
Toonage

Exp:

Its a passionate hockey market. He has to expect these things.
Old 03-28-2024, 08:54 AM   #2248
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Its a passionate hockey market. He has to expect these things.
Exactly! This ain't no Phoenix anymore Don! We will hide in the trunk of your car and chase you around your yard while screaming:

"What kind of Bowl composition will the new Arena have??? Tell me Don!! TELL ME!!!"

And yes Don...that phone call? Its coming....from inside the house...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2024, 08:55 AM   #2249
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Also wasn't the Capital Centre built before the Saddledome? Same roofline right?

It was 10 years older than the Saddledome.
Old 03-28-2024, 08:59 AM   #2250
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamefan74 View Post
Rogers Place ceiling looks like someone closed the lid on that toilet, now they're just waiting for someone to flush it. The roof panels at LC brighten up the place and make it feel more comfortable, for lack of a better word. Hope the new event center will have something like that.
The Oilers just suck at everything. Even their nice new arena looks like an industrial piece of crap, like half the city.
Old 03-28-2024, 09:00 AM   #2251
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

Veterans Memorial Coliseum in Phoenix also has the roof design as the Dome. It opened in the mid-60's.
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JBR For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2024, 09:03 AM   #2252
Howie_16
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Yes. Also Arizona Veterans Memorial Coliseum has a saddle shaped roof. Saw my first NBA game there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arizon...orial_Coliseum
Howie_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 09:17 AM   #2253
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFG#1 View Post
That is incorrect. The Saddledome was modelled after an arena built in 1971 in Sweden. This list shows multiple buildings similar in shape to the dome going back to 1952 with the Scandinavium being the closest, and then another one built in London in 2011.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...oid_structures
Those are a series of hyperboloid structures. So there is that. And...that's the first time I've ever used the word hyperboloid and saying it still doesn't help me understand what i'm looking at. Are those saddledomes on their sides?
Old 03-28-2024, 09:21 AM   #2254
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

John Bean at the announcement of the new deal back in October flat-out told reporters to expect a similar design to last time. The agreements for the new deal also say that the primary thing they'll be doing is adapting the existing HOK design to a larger lot.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2024, 09:23 AM   #2255
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
John Bean at the announcement of the new deal back in October flat-out told reporters to expect a similar design to last time. The agreements for the new deal also say that the primary thing they'll be doing is adapting the existing HOK design to a larger lot.
He's also said "no rebuild" before, so....
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 09:28 AM   #2256
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It really just makes sense from a cost perspective. Why reinvent the wheel when you can just adapt the wheel you already paid for.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 09:30 AM   #2257
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I’m not saying it is or isn’t going to be the same, but with a change to the layout to account for a larger lot and the benefit of feedback of the original design, “similar” definitely does not mean the same.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 09:55 AM   #2258
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

The mayor said it had a new design, could be similar but not the same.

The previous outside design was not very aesthetic. If you are going to spend a billion dollars on a arena in skimping on the design doesn't make a lot of sense.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 09:55 AM   #2259
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I just remember Francis going on the radio saying flames brass were not that excited about the old design. He implied that it was not really up to par with other modern buildings and would have been very basic due to cost restrictions and value engineering.

If it a lot like little Caesars, great. And please make it more like that than that dump to the north. That radio hit sticks in my mind though.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 10:09 AM   #2260
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Rogers Place is a very poorly designed arena after being too many Oilers games. The washroom lines are brutal, and getting in and out of the arena is congested. There are lots of bottlenecks that I hope are corrected in the new Flames arena.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kukkudo For This Useful Post: