Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2022, 10:24 AM   #581
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1589298423303663616

Pretty good run for a completely unknown character, for comparison the first Captain America movie made $370 million and the first Thor $450 so right inline with those two.

It's too bad this movie is banned in China, it's the type of movie that would have made over $100 mill there.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 10:35 AM   #582
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
https://twitter.com/user/status/1589298423303663616

Pretty good run for a completely unknown character, for comparison the first Captain America movie made $370 million and the first Thor $450 so right inline with those two.

It's too bad this movie is banned in China, it's the type of movie that would have made over $100 mill there.
Your comps ignore 10 years of inflation.

I’d go disappointing as it’s not out performing movies dropped in the middle of Covid. Black Widow 380 with day and date streaming and Shang Chi 430 and eternals at 400. All of these were considered mediocre but given Covid okay.

So I don’t see this as a good run. It’s okay to disappointing. For a movie that is so much better than aquaman it’s disappointing it might not even break even.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 10:45 AM   #583
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

The MCU has become the biggest franchise in box office history, so those films will make more given the brand recognition. Plus with Black Widow she was a very popular character and had been in about 10 films before her solo.

I think WB was really hoping for a China release where the Rocks films tend to do really well, so no China release really hurt it.

I agree not fantastic run by any stretch but I think solid and hopefully enough to give us a sequel.
Old 11-06-2022, 05:08 PM   #584
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I worry it’s not enough to get the Superman / Black Adam movie with James Gunn now taking over direction.
Old 11-12-2022, 04:01 PM   #585
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not a bad opening day.....

https://twitter.com/user/status/1591464911997116417
Old 11-12-2022, 04:04 PM   #586
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

No, that must be a typo. Didn’t you hear? Comic book movies are dead and no one cares about BP without Chadwick.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 01:07 PM   #587
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

In one weekend it's beat what Black Adam and the Rock could do in 4 weeks (domestically, 22 million more worldwide) and it doesn't really have any competition until Avatar is released in a month. Should be another cash grab for Disney before their cash for Avatar starts rolling in.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 02:52 PM   #588
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting that it will be the first year since 2014 (if you don't count 2020, and you shouldn't) to have the top grossing film be something other than Marvel or Star Wars. It will either be Top Gun or Avatar.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 03:22 PM   #589
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Probably Top Gun, Avatar likely won't have enough time left in the year to beat it.

Bit of a sensational title, but it's probably not far off.

Avatar: The Way of Water Needs to Be 3rd or 4th Highest Grossing Film of All Time to Make Money
https://www.ign.com/articles/avatar-...ever-to-profit

Last edited by KTrain; 11-22-2022 at 03:38 PM.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 03:39 PM   #590
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Interesting that it will be the first year since 2014 (if you don't count 2020, and you shouldn't) to have the top grossing film be something other than Marvel or Star Wars. It will either be Top Gun or Avatar.
Looking through the list, it just feels like movies are getting worse and worse. So many sequels. Very little original content in their. I know that's been the trend for a while, but literally the Batman is the only non-sequel in the top 10, and that's far from a fresh idea.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2022, 03:45 PM   #591
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Wakanda has had huge % drops every weekend so far, its rare for a nose diving movie to have any kind of uptick. It probably needs ~$600M to break even, so itll make some cash, but the leftover hype from the first BP is gone so there's a decent this is the last BP movie unless they figure out a way to turn the tide.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 03:55 PM   #592
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Probably Top Gun, Avatar likely won't have enough time left in the year to beat it.

Avatar: The Way of Water Needs to Be 3rd or 4th Highest Grossing Film of All Time to Make Money
Depends how you look at it - I think the generally more accepted way is the movie counts towards the year it was released in. That's why say, Avatar 1 is "the top grossing movie of 2009" even though it made 2/3 of it's money in 2010.

But I don't think Avatar 2 will catch Top Gun either way.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2022, 07:25 AM   #593
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post

That’s such a garbage article. Even using exaggerated metrics for budget like 350mil and assuming 350 marketing that still only needs 1.4 billion to break even. It’s just Cameron trying to show this as a passion project and art and not a superhero vfx fest.
Old 11-23-2022, 07:44 AM   #594
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
That’s such a garbage article. Even using exaggerated metrics for budget like 350mil and assuming 350 marketing that still only needs 1.4 billion to break even. It’s just Cameron trying to show this as a passion project and art and not a superhero vfx fest.
I agree with the spirit of your post, but the article suggests they've spent a billion on the 4 movies already. They only have one made, and it seems unlikely all 4 will ever come out.

They've been working on this for at least a decade, right? It's definitely plausible that they've spent over a billion by now.

It will be fascinating to see how well it does. I don't many people have really fond memories of the first movie. It was definitely a spectacle that brought a lot of people to the theater to experience it, but the story and characters weren't particularly memorable. Also, a lot of people have grown to hate 3d over the years since.

I'd guess this falls short of Top Gun domestically, but passes by it a bit world wide.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 07:59 AM   #595
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

There is a seemingly endless list of huge box office successes that everybody on the internet hates, yet they keep making billions of dollars.

Old 11-23-2022, 08:04 AM   #596
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

And for a movie that nobody remembers and everyone has apparently forgotten, it sure gets talked about a lot.

Avatar haters remind me of the Howard Stern movie Private Parts.

The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2022, 08:33 AM   #597
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's just fine though? Somewhere around 600-650 domestic seems likely, which would be just fine for most any other movie, but probably be a bit of a bomb for this movie.

Marvel movies are definitely down the last few fears. BP2 will not get 70% of the first, and Disney is likely to have a year under or around 2 billion and will make less cumulatively from 2020-2022 than they did in 2019. By any objective measure, Disney is on a significant downward trend on all their movie franchises.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 02:45 PM   #598
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
I agree with the spirit of your post, but the article suggests they've spent a billion on the 4 movies already. They only have one made, and it seems unlikely all 4 will ever come out.

They've been working on this for at least a decade, right? It's definitely plausible that they've spent over a billion by now.

It will be fascinating to see how well it does. I don't many people have really fond memories of the first movie. It was definitely a spectacle that brought a lot of people to the theater to experience it, but the story and characters weren't particularly memorable. Also, a lot of people have grown to hate 3d over the years since.

I'd guess this falls short of Top Gun domestically, but passes by it a bit world wide.
I love this part where he offers anyone in the audience $1000 if they could name these two characters.

I couldnt.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 03:29 PM   #599
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'd actually be shocked if Avatar 2 isn't seen as having a disappointing box office run.

First time around it was more experiential than about the movie. This time it's a sequel people weren't really asking for, too far separated from the original movie.

I do think it will have a great run, just one that will be universally seen as less than expected.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 03:39 PM   #600
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
I'd actually be shocked if Avatar 2 isn't seen as having a disappointing box office run.

First time around it was more experiential than about the movie. This time it's a sequel people weren't really asking for, too far separated from the original movie.

I do think it will have a great run, just one that will be universally seen as less than expected.
It will be interesting to see. James Cameron doesnt appear to be a complete idiot, so maybe he'll shift the tone and focus and it'll turn out great.

Or maybe it'll be a disaster. It could go either way really.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote