Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2016, 10:15 PM   #501
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
I'm sure I've complained about this before, but, windows 10 keeps insisting on hiding my network button from me in the taskbar. Every couple weeks I have to go into the settings and click show. Why. Why.

Also in the notification centre, airplane mode appears highlited yet clearly it's not on. wtf.

I'm not even on a weird custom build machine im on a surface pro 3. #### i wish i wasnt so heavily invested in ms products right now. id switch to apple in a heartbeat.
You can have Airplane Mode enabled while also having WiFi on.

Use case: You go onto an airplane. You turn on airplane mode. Once the plane reaches cruising altitude, you want to use in-flight WiFi. You turn on WiFi only, keeping off Bluetooth, NFC, GPS, etc. to stay on CATSA's good side.

Also, are you on the Insider Preview?
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:17 PM   #502
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
You can have Airplane Mode enabled while also having WiFi on.

Use case: You go onto an airplane. You turn on airplane mode. Once the plane reaches cruising altitude, you want to use in-flight WiFi. You turn on WiFi only, keeping off Bluetooth, NFC, GPS, etc. to stay on CATSA's good side.

Also, are you on the Insider Preview?
yes I think so, for insider preview.

I never touch airplane mode, which is why its baffling.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 12:05 PM   #503
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
yes I think so, for insider preview.

I never touch airplane mode, which is why its baffling.
At the next public release for Windows 10 (Redstone 1, can't give / don't know release date), you should turn off the Insider Preview and return to the public update ring.
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2016, 10:31 PM   #504
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

I posted this in the video game thread but probably belongs here too. It's been going around on the various gaming forums. Hope Microsoft doesn't try to lock down PC gaming on Windows 10 but the abomination of GFWL doesn't give me much hope. However, they've said that "they'll do better" on these items already and it is early days . . .

http://www.pcgamer.com/why-pc-games-...buffer-pcgamer

Microsoft as a company has been the subject of many investigations for anticompetitive behavior in the past, both in the US and the EU. One particular strategy uncovered and named during these investigations is Embrace, Extend, and Extinguish: it involves entering a market with an open and standards-compliant platform, subsequently adding proprietary features and using those to disadvantage the competition.

Handing Microsoft—or any other company, but given Microsoft’s history it’s particularly egregious—the metaphorical keys to the castle and giving them the possibility to enact such change, regardless of the likelihood of them actually implementing it, is something I can never countenance.

However, one fact should be clear. If you buy a game as a UWA then, in many aspects such as user control, interoperability, moddability and the overall ecosystem, what you are getting is closer to a console game running on a PC than what we traditionally consider a PC game.

http://www.howtogeek.com/243012/why-...windows-store/

No SLI or CrossFire
VSync is Always On
Always Borderless Fullscreen Mode
Sorry, No Modding
No .exe File (and No Steam Controller)
No OverlaysMouse Macros Won’t Work
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:23 AM   #505
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Corrections:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
http://www.howtogeek.com/243012/why-...windows-store/

No SLI or CrossFire
VSync is Always On
Always Borderless Fullscreen Mode
Sorry, No Modding
No .exe File (and No Steam Controller)
No Overlays
Mouse Macros Won’t Work
The article you've quoted is specifically talking about the limitations of Rise of the Tomb Raider through the Windows Store.

Important points from the article that were, for some reason, omitted from the post here:
1. SLI and CrossFire are supported if the game supports it. (RotTR didn't for whatever reason.)
2. Always On VSync is being fixed, per Mike Ybarra.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:09 PM   #506
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Window 10 has made my laptop basically unuseable. I don't believe it's a crap machine, Dell w/ 6GB RAM & i5 processor, but after the windows 10 update everything is insanely slow. From Chrome to something as basic as opening the file explorer it takes forever, constant "not responding" messages, really just a huge pain in the arse. My 5 year old crap desktop is quicker now and prior to the Windows 10 update the laptop was instantaneous when doing anything. Probably just user error I'm sure.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 06:22 PM   #507
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Window 10 has made my laptop basically unuseable. I don't believe it's a crap machine, Dell w/ 6GB RAM & i5 processor, but after the windows 10 update everything is insanely slow. From Chrome to something as basic as opening the file explorer it takes forever, constant "not responding" messages, really just a huge pain in the arse. My 5 year old crap desktop is quicker now and prior to the Windows 10 update the laptop was instantaneous when doing anything. Probably just user error I'm sure.
did you upgrade to Windows 10 or do a clean install?

on my old laptop upgrading to windows 10 was craptastic... clean install windows 10 is smooth
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2016, 09:55 PM   #508
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post

on my old laptop upgrading to windows 10 was craptastic... clean install windows 10 is smooth
I'll second this, definitely not 'user error'. Some machines do not take the initial upgrade smoothly. It sucks, but it happens.

My desktop at home is not taking the most recent insider build well, either.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:17 PM   #509
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post

I upgraded to get it, sounds like a clean install might be a solid plan. Never even crossed my mind to should do that.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:55 PM   #510
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Yeah, at first I upgraded and it was just horrendous, full of bugs.

Did a clean install, and it's amazing.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 04:23 PM   #511
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

is it possible to a clean install on a surface pro 3>
Old 03-22-2016, 11:37 PM   #512
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Settings - Update - Reset this PC?

Also, for those that had the flash issues a few pages back, how did you resolve it? (Or is it still an issue?)

Last edited by DoubleF; 03-22-2016 at 11:41 PM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 05:49 PM   #513
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Settings - Update - Reset this PC?

Also, for those that had the flash issues a few pages back, how did you resolve it? (Or is it still an issue?)
settings-update-recovery-(reset this PC) get started-choose an option
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 10:57 AM   #514
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yup.

Option 1:

First, download the Windows 10 Pro ISO and make a USB key. You can get that here: Get Windows 10
Next, make sure you have this: Surface Pro 3 Software, Firmware, Drivers.

Then do your clean install from the USB stick.

Option 2:

Find someone who has a Surface Pro 3 that came with Windows 10 factory preinstalled. Get them to log into this page with either their Microsoft account or their Surface Pro 3 model and serial number.

Have them download their Recovery Image onto a USB stick and use that USB stick on your Surface Pro 3. If you try with your own serial number, you'll be given a Windows 8.1 Pro recovery image since your Surface didn't come with Windows 10. Your license is embedded in the hardware, so it'll run and install just fine. It'll give you the full Out-of-Box-Experience this way.

I did something similar for my SIL and it worked beautifully, as her SP3 was a Windows 8.1 Pro pre-loaded model.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 03-24-2016 at 11:05 AM.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:08 PM   #515
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Clean install worked like a charm. Everything's much quicker now and as an added plus it finally got the goddam McAfee that came preloaded on this thing off of my laptop. Praise Jebus!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2016, 12:14 AM   #516
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yup.

Option 1:

First, download the Windows 10 Pro ISO and make a USB key. You can get that here: Get Windows 10
Next, make sure you have this: Surface Pro 3 Software, Firmware, Drivers.

Then do your clean install from the USB stick.

Option 2:

Find someone who has a Surface Pro 3 that came with Windows 10 factory preinstalled. Get them to log into this page with either their Microsoft account or their Surface Pro 3 model and serial number.

Have them download their Recovery Image onto a USB stick and use that USB stick on your Surface Pro 3. If you try with your own serial number, you'll be given a Windows 8.1 Pro recovery image since your Surface didn't come with Windows 10. Your license is embedded in the hardware, so it'll run and install just fine. It'll give you the full Out-of-Box-Experience this way.

I did something similar for my SIL and it worked beautifully, as her SP3 was a Windows 8.1 Pro pre-loaded model.

is there any discernible difference between these two methods post installation?
Old 03-30-2016, 03:09 PM   #517
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
is there any discernible difference between these two methods post installation?
Yeeeeup, certainly is.

If you can swing it, I'd strongly recommend Option 2, it's actually the approach I'd use.

Option 1 is the approach you might use on a PC that you built yourself, or where the factory image is so packed with bloatware garbage that you don't *want* to restore from it.

Option 2 is restoring a factory fresh Windows 10 image meant for your particular Surface. This ensures not only that all the drivers are loaded up properly, but that the out-of-box experience is preserved. Pairing your Surface Pen for the first time, etc.

Beyond the OOBE and guarantees that all the drivers are present, you'll end up with a clean installation of Windows 10 no matter which you choose.
Old 03-30-2016, 04:55 PM   #518
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeeeeup, certainly is.

If you can swing it, I'd strongly recommend Option 2, it's actually the approach I'd use.

Option 1 is the approach you might use on a PC that you built yourself, or where the factory image is so packed with bloatware garbage that you don't *want* to restore from it.

Option 2 is restoring a factory fresh Windows 10 image meant for your particular Surface. This ensures not only that all the drivers are loaded up properly, but that the out-of-box experience is preserved. Pairing your Surface Pen for the first time, etc.

Beyond the OOBE and guarantees that all the drivers are present, you'll end up with a clean installation of Windows 10 no matter which you choose.
Hmm. Well, as odds would have it do know someone who has a SP3 but they still have 8 on in I think. I'm kind of stuck with option 2.
Old 03-30-2016, 05:35 PM   #519
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

This is interesting, Microsoft is bringing the full Unix bash command shell into Windows 10, running natively

http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/30/11...ux-ubuntu-bash

And apparently anything that runs on Ubuntu will run in Windows 10, no emulators or VM's needed

http://blog.dustinkirkland.com/2016/...ndows.html?m=1
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 05:54 PM   #520
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hmm. Well, as odds would have it do know someone who has a SP3 but they still have 8 on in I think. I'm kind of stuck with option 2.
Well it would need to be a SP3 new enough to have come from the factory with Windows 10. One that was upgraded after the fact won't matter.

You'll have to use Option 1 and disable Secure Boot in order to boot from an image that isn't a Surface Pro 3 recovery USB. Instructions here: https://www.microsoft.com/surface/en...s-8.1-update-1