Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2024, 11:52 AM   #1201
Tbull8
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Yup and i think its being grossly overlooked by so many.

He fills a big hole in the organizations depth chart.

He is a Tanev type.

That's awesome. Hopefully the development side of the Flames do this thing properly and in 1 or 2 years he becomes a fixture as a 4/5 dman who blocks shots and kills penalties. He will have a role.
And is a great contrast to other D prospects they have been adding into the fold. Kylington, Brz, Poirier. These guys all need a Tanev-type guy to shut things down when they take offensive risks. Grush might not be a sexy point producing dman but players like him, Tanev, and in the past Warrener are crucial for playoff teams.
Tbull8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 11:53 AM   #1202
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a soft spot for dedicated, pure defensive players.

It's usually the hardest part of the game that top talents prefer to shy away from these days. Having a kid that can become your next Tanev/Vlasic type, even the lite version, is awesome. I'm glad they went out and got a very similar type of player who is much younger.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2024, 12:00 PM   #1203
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
I think we're going to look back on this trade as a very good one for the Flames. Conroy and the scouts seem to be quite adept at recognizing young talent.
Honestly the result of the deal still has variables. Anyone can get injured, the pick might end up being a post away from jumping up 30 spots. Other teams in front of you might get good players in round two. Lots outside your control that impacts the result of the transaction.

It's the behavior to make this deal which is a good change. Not that different from when Glencross was traded. Hopefully they stay in this pattern for a couple of years and give the scouts a chance to make a few picks before jumping back in head first. That's the one aspect they can control. It's essentially going back to like 2013 right now, so see if you can stay the course here for the next 3 seasons.
Old 03-04-2024, 01:06 PM   #1204
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Let's not forget about the "nasty" part of his game.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2024, 01:13 PM   #1205
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I watched him very closely in the first Wranglers game and came away impressed. Just a very efficient player. Clean breakouts, calmly taking away lanes, stick positioning, etc... I didn't see the physical side of his play but he doesn't shy away from contact.

Also, the no-offense part of his game I feel is a little overstated. He'll pick up secondary assists based on his breakout passes and is not afraid to pinch when needed. I think points will eventually come around.

I don't see someone as smooth as Tanev from a skating standpoint.

A closer comparable, IMO, after watching only one game is Niklas Hjalmarsson.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 01:23 PM   #1206
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
This quote from the sportnet article doesn't make much sense:

"Second, even though Tanev doesn’t miss many games, the Flames felt not trading him was walking a tightrope because no one eats pucks like he does."

If they felt this way at the point they traded him, why not just sit him?
It's quite simple, really. Tanev doesn't eat pucks for the team, he actually gets nutrients out of them. If you don't give him enough pucks to eat, he might starve. Therefore, sitting him was not an option.
Old 03-04-2024, 01:28 PM   #1207
GKDarts
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchyt View Post
I watched him very closely in the first Wranglers game and came away impressed. Just a very efficient player. Clean breakouts, calmly taking away lanes, stick positioning, etc... I didn't see the physical side of his play but he doesn't shy away from contact.

Also, the no-offense part of his game I feel is a little overstated. He'll pick up secondary assists based on his breakout passes and is not afraid to pinch when needed. I think points will eventually come around.

I don't see someone as smooth as Tanev from a skating standpoint.

A closer comparable, IMO, after watching only one game is Niklas Hjalmarsson.
Pretty close to my impressions as well. Only point I disagree on was skating. I think he's every bit as good a skater as Tanev and maybe better.

Just came across as a super smart positional player who uses his position and thinking part of the game to give himself the best chance at success. Stood up as well as could be expected even when grossly outsized by 6"6 230 lb Riley Tufte parked in front of the net or fighting for a puck in the Wrangler defensive zone.

Not much on the offensive side but encouraging that his one opportunity was a competent on-target slapper 5" off the ice in a perfect spot for a deflection.

Evident that the coaching staff liked what they were seeing as he saw more critical ice-time as the game wore on.

I wish he was 20lbs heavier and an inch taller...looks a bit small and slightly too much like Flame "not so great" Nik Borschevsky, who I remember most for almost having his torso severed from his hips in a game against the Canucks. Nik was pretty meek before then but that hit finished him off.
GKDarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 01:49 PM   #1208
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macho0978 View Post
This trade reminds me of the Toffoli trade. Too much value put into a late 1st by posters. They see trades and don't see a 1st and it's not good now because we didn't get the 1st. Once you are picking outside the top 20 or so the players picked start to go out of order and teams go with what their scouts think, and the draft lists start to look a lot different team by team. The odds of drafting an impact player 21-32 overall vs 52-64 overall might be 1% different and quite often you might get the guy you want at 30 at 45 or 50 due to other teams wanting different players.

We also need some dmen who aren't all about points and playing on the PP. I like the addition Grushnikov and IMO getting just a 1st is less than what Conroy added.
Well said. As a Flames fan, when I see a late first my PTSD kicks in and I see Poirier and Klimchuk.