Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2011, 08:53 AM   #1
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Need Help with Cuban Vacation

Hey all,

So, I want to go to Cuba for a vacation some time in June and I have no idea what I'm doing.

I'm looking at going to an all-inclusive resort, its something I've never done, be it in Cuba or anywhere else, this is my post-tax-season relaxation vacation, or thats the plan at least.

I got into looking at all these resorts and they all seem more or less the same and theres zillions of them, how the hell am I supposed to pick one? I see that most of the stuff that I want is around Veradaro, is that good? I dont know. I dont even know anyone thats been to Cuba before.

Is June ok? Thats really the only month I have time to go. I'm cool with inclement weather within reason.

So, I bow to the CP brain trust to help me out. I know theres tons of these threads, but hey, I wanted one tailored to me so there. I've read about a dozen reviews and I need help.

Here are my priorities:

- Laze about doing nothing on a beach, in the sun, sipping on booze.

- Cigars - I love cigars, and so this is a big one, I figure, while I'm there I might as well get some and maybe buy a bunch to bring home, duty be damned! Any recommendations on how to accomplish this are much appreciated. What are the prices like? Are there ways other than factory tours to get some? I'm talking like a case of cigars here.

- The ability to go into a nearby town either by walking, short cab ride or shanking a Cuban and stealing his bike, or not shanking him and just asking to borrow it, actually scratch the bike idea altogether.

- Chill with Castro. I hear he's 'dope.' (OPTIONAL)

So, oh great CP, tell me, what should I do?

Also, I have been told by many, many people that the food sucks, I have made peace with that, so long as 'sucks' refers to 'relatively bland' and not 'bowel exploding.'

All advice is much appreciated.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:07 AM   #2
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Food at all Cuban resorts is mediocre at best. Bring a pocket copy of Das Kapital to show the natives you are a fellow traveller, in case you are accosted by the authorities.
June is an unusual time to go to Cuba - I guess it depends on your heat tolerance.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:10 AM   #3
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

A few tips...

We have had a great time at the Luna y Mares resort in Holguin province...if you want more upscale the Paridisius resort is nearby and is higher class.

Food is not bad...at all.

When you find a place you like Google RESORT NAME and DEBBIES CARRIBEAN REVIEW to get the skinny on the resorts from actual travellers.

...also Cuba is going through some dramatic economic/political changes...it will be interesting to see what the impact is.

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Fozzie_DeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:13 AM   #4
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cheese should have plenty to offer on this subject.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:20 AM   #5
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

When I went we stayed in Veradaro, we took a day trip into Havana and did a cigar and rum factory tour. It was a long day but it was neat to see, crazy the working conditions those people have in the cigar factory. We also went into Veradaro for a day and looked around.

Careful when buying cigars, a lot of places sell knock-offs.

Your hotel should have cigars, or you could go to town and go to cigar shops...Like I said, some are knock offs so I would do some internet research first to find out how to spot them. It shouldn't be to hard to find a place to buy cigars, they are everywhere.

Last edited by Hockeyguy15; 04-27-2011 at 10:36 AM.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:35 AM   #6
Kerplunk
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I stayed at Sirenis La Salina earlier this year, during the "dry" season (my ass), so here are some randomly scattered thoughts.

- Resort had a good beach (better looking than the resort next to us), fairly large resort area.

- Food was ok, had some that was really good, some that just plain sucked. They need to learn how to cook bacon better.

- You can easily get to Veradero from most of the resorts on the peninsula. We used the bus that runs most of the day with a cost of 5 pesos per day.

- Best touristy type stuff (in terms of souvenirs) is in Veradero. Havana didn't seem to have much, at least on the rum/cigar tour route we took.

- Havana has some neat looking sites. A good day trip.

- Many of the resorts (I think) will have cigars for sale, and some of the people I was with bought to their limit from there. The airport also had them for sale, and were a few pesos cheaper than anywhere else.

- The conversion rates for CAD to CUC (convertable peso) SUCKS. Take lots of cash.

- I heard that you want to stay away from any resort with a 3 star rating or less.

- Take a water bottle, get the bar to fill it with booze. This way you don't ditz around with the little shot glass cups they have.

Last edited by Kerplunk; 04-27-2011 at 10:38 AM.
Kerplunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kerplunk For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2011, 10:42 AM   #7
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

My fave place. If its beach you want, go to Varadero, it is likely one of the best beaches in the world, soft white sand like talcum powder. Water should be good in June, weather should be high 20s to low 30s.
If you are looking for a resort that is adults only, Sandals Royal Hicacos is a good choice. http://www.sandalshicacos.com/ as is Paradisus Princessa del Mar. http://www.paradisuscuba.com/varader...princesadelmar

Hicacos is smaller, cozier and older than Princessa, both are good choices.
If you plan to go to Havana it is FAR better to rent a taxi for $200 Cuban Pesos than to take a tour for $180. You'll stay away from the beggars and get a better tour, as well as one on one discussion. Ask the front desk for help, they are glad to assist.
I have a ton more info so if you have any questions do not hesitate to PM me...Ill fill you in.

Oh...the whole food thing is mostly BS. Lots of good food, they are just not as spicy or adventurous as other countries. The Cuban people are awesome, you will love your trip.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2011, 10:46 AM   #8
mac_gurl
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

+1 for Sirenis La Salina. We stayed there in December. It was a good resort. Food wasn't as good as other destinations, but we always could find stuff to eat.

We also did a day trip to Havana. They took us to a cigar factory, where we got some great deals on Cigars. We also noticed upon leaving that the airport had rum and cigars for cheaper then other places we found. Who would have thought the airport would be the cheapest place.
mac_gurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:54 AM   #9
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

I appealed to CP a couple years ago for the same thing, you may find some helpful tips in here. As already mentioned, Cheese was a big help, among others.
http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...highlight=Cuba

I took Cheese's advice and stayed at the Sandals Royal Hicacos. I highly recommend it (especially after reading what you're looking for). Good R&R, its adults only so no rugrats running around. Good food for Cuba too, on the flight home we heard many from other hotels complaining about their hotel food, but we had no complaints about ours. Sounds like you're really in it for a good beach too, one night we took a walk past about 7-8 different resorts and we had the best beach BY FAR.

Last edited by Sainters7; 04-27-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:58 AM   #10
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Did Cuba at Christmas, stayed at the Barcelo Marina Palace and I'd stay there again in a heart beat.

Food
- It's not "bad" so much as bland. There's salt & pepper on all the tables but don't be afraid to bring some hot sauce for spicing up eggs and such. Never went hungry, but certanly no meals to write home about. But avoid the cold cheese, taste like @$$.

Cigars
The hotel I stayed at had a well stocked humidor and seemed very willing to sell singles. So if your just looking for something to suck on in the lounge or on the beach it's not a bad place. You may over pay a bit on single sticks but the convenience factor of buying singles is the trade off.

Now if you want a box of cigars, I'd highly recommend the habanos store in Plaza America in Varadero. It's an official state store and I found it to be the least intimidating in that most boxes were on the shelves with clearly marked prices on the bottom. Or just wait till your departure flight and hit up the duty free in the air port.

Unfortunately the factories were closed when I was there, but the Partagas factory in Havana does daily tours and the hotel we were at did offer a Havana day trip with the factory tour. But like I said the factories were closed for Christmas/New Years when I was there so we missed out on that.

Rum
Drink it, no really. Get your self a bottle of aged Havana Club and kick back. As good as the cigars are, the rum is even better. I'm not a big rum drinker, but the rum there is a step above any other I've ever had.

Things to do
Visit Havana, over night and avoid the bus tour if you can. Havana is very beautiful but I found the bus tour was very rushed and from the second we stepped off the bus we were targets for pick pockets and street scammers. Being in a group of tourist it felt like we had huge targets screaming "we have money! take it!".

This is not a knock on the Cuban people mind you, even breaking away from the group a bit we didn't experience this. Just specifically in a group getting off a shiny air conditioned bus seemed to be setting us up as targets.

Varadero - It's like the Cuban version of Banff, lots and lots of street vendors/shops all pretty much peddling the same stuff. Having said that, step into one of the street side Cafes/Bars and have a proper Mojito, it's much, much better than what you get at the resort.

Bottom line
I mostly went to unwind on my honey moon, I wanted a week of knocking back drinks on the beach and that's exactly what I got. Which I admit is a very different mind set than "I want to see a another country and experience their culture", it's much more "I don't want to even look at my phone/internet for a week"

Would I go again? Absolutely.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Regular_John For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2011, 11:36 AM   #11
Olao32
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Been there three times, both Varadero and Havana. Once at Breezes Jibacoa (Varadero), Breezes Varadero, and once to Havana. Some thoughts:

General
I too love Cuba. Not just for the amazing beaches, for which I think they are the best that I have seen and I’ve been all throughout the Caribbean, but for the people too. They are generally just very pleasant individuals. Not like Mexico where you have beggars and people trying to sell you things 24/7. Don’t get me wrong, they are still there, but not to the same extent.

Cigars
Cigars, when you say you “love them” how much? Do you collect them? Smoke them often? What I’m trying to understand if you think you would be able to smoke one and detect its authenticity. Fake Cuban cigars are rampant on the island. Under no circumstance should you buy them off the beach, or anyone giving you the story that their brother’s wife’s cousin’s kid works at the factory and snuck them out and thus will pass the saving onto you. This just doesn’t happen down there, and if you go that route I can guarantee you that you will purchase fakes. You should buy them from a designated LCDH (La Casa Del Habanos) government store and they are not cheap. They will range from $100-$500 a box (25), you can buy singles too to try a few out and see what you like. Some hotels are reputable too even though they are not regulated, but those are hit and miss. For example, at Jibacoa I purchased a few singles that were authentic, but then one tasted off. Decided to put it out and open it up to check, just as I suspected, 100% short filler (definite fake). If you go to Varadero hit up the LCDH on 63rd, best selection and they have a smoking lounge you can enjoy with a glass of rum, alternatively you can go to Plaza Americas LCDH. In Havana, there are a few but spread throughout the city. Do a Google search or contact me if you want some more details. Canadian limit is 50 cigars per person, double up if you are traveling with someone who doesn’t smoke. I am always way over my limit and I’m just honest with the Canadian Boarder guys and they just let me though with no duties.

Weather
I have been down in November, December, and in June like you are planning. Weather wise June is extreme high humidity so be prepared. Light loose clothing and just know you will sweat your bag off. The water in June is like a luke-warm bath and crystal clear.

Food
Food, once again hit and miss. If you are going the AI route, Jibacoa when I went had great food (in December), but Breezes Varerado was pretty bad (in June), and I am the least thing from a picky eater. I think this has something to do with the cyclical tourist seasons. During high season they have more people, and thus better and more food. If you want to guarantee yourself good food, stay at a 5* like Paradisus. If you want to go lower I have heard good things about the Sandals, Melia Las Americas, and Melia Las Antillas. I recommend you check out Trip Advisor and read the reviews relating to the period you will be going down. Also, it has pictures and videos to give you an idea of the resort. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g1...ba-Hotels.html

Tours
Tours, I have done are the Cigar factory in Havana, Jeep tour, Scuba tour, catamaran to an island and swim with the dolphins (don’t ask the GF wanted to go), and a few diving trips. All pretty cool. If you are into cigars, on the cigar factory tour, you will appreciate it. Pending which factory they take you to you may be able to purchse cigars there too, but not all of them. I agree with an above posters comment on the taxi, but if you are not familiar with the area you may appreciate a guided tour your first trip, I know I did. Bring a few packs of that travel size Kleenex with you, it will come in handy when you realize none of the toilets outside the hotel stock toilet paper. Also, if you are a diver, bring your PADI card as some of the hotels offer a free diving trip if you are certified.

Other
Convert your cash at the airport from CAD to CUC, you will get a better rate than the hotel. Watch the ladies at the counter as they like to miscalculate, if you care. I just let them skim a few bucks as they don’t make a lot.
Try and bring a few things down with you if you can. Give toys to the maids, crayons coloring books etc. for their kids as simple things like that are hard to come by down there. I always bring gardeners gloves too and give it to the support staff. Those guys work all day, get paid just a few bucks and no one really notices them. You will make their day with a kind gesture.

Airport
One last recommendation, on departure pay the $20 and get into the VIP lounge. Nothing special, but you have an air conditioned room with food and drinks, a smoking lounge, and you can hang out until your flight leaves. And, they will take your luggage and do all the departure tax stuff ($50 IIRC) and bump you to the front of the line. Better than hanging out upstairs in the airport that is usually pretty packed. Talk to your tour rep prior to departure and they will set you up. Alternatively, you can get it there; look for the people in the green jackets.

That’s all I can think of right now. I am jealous; I need to go back there soon.

Last edited by Olao32; 04-27-2011 at 11:43 AM.
Olao32 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Olao32 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2011, 12:46 PM   #12
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, lots of great advice, keep it coming.

When I say I 'love' cigars, its a hobby of mine. I keep a stocked humidor in my place, and I generally like smoking a cigar once a week or two weeks or so.

I'm no an afficionado by any means though.

I do want to try a bunch of cigars there and bring back about 50 or so that I like as well as some Cuban rum. Thats part of my genius plan.

The whole point of this is that I've been working 7 days a week, 10+ hours a day for 3 months straight. My next day off is May 8th, so there is a very large 'sit around, relax, smoke cigars and drink on a beach' component to this vacation.

I understand that June is going to be hotter than hell, but its really my only opportunity to go.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 04-27-2011, 12:59 PM   #13
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I also went to Barcelo Marina Palace in March. First time to Cuba and it was great. I agree with all the comments on the food, cigars, rum etc.

One thing I reccomend is to bring a bunch of cheap hats, I had guys everywhere trying to trade me their merchandise for my Flames hat I got in a case of beer. Was offered a $30 humidor and a few little items from a vendor. They love that stuff.

We also brought some crayons and stuff for kids to give to our maid and our servers as then we would get excellent service. Our maid left us a bottle of rum although she probably did that for everyone.

Would certainly go again.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8sPOT For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2011, 01:03 PM   #14
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I plan on staying a week and not packing a lot. So I'm open to bringing stuff that people want. Hats, pencils, whatever. No problem.

Thanks for the heads up.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:47 PM   #15
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post

We also brought some crayons and stuff for kids to give to our maid and our servers as then we would get excellent service. Our maid left us a bottle of rum although she probably did that for everyone.
Yea we left a CUC or two for our maid every day, also ended up with a few bottles of rum at the end of the week... my god that rum
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 02:46 PM   #16
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

The maids, waiters and the bartenders get the most face time with tourists and thus get the most tips.

Giving some attention to the people (maintenance, groundskeepers,etc.) who are overlooked will be much appreciated.

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Fozzie_DeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 02:53 PM   #17
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been looking through the suggestions, and while the Sandals resort appeals to me via lack of ankle biters, the additional cost is tough to justify.

So far Sirenis la Salina and Barcelo Marina Palace are the short list.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:23 PM   #18
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I've been looking through the suggestions, and while the Sandals resort appeals to me via lack of ankle biters, the additional cost is tough to justify.

At $987/person after tax, Sirenis la Salina is priced ok for June. I would put it in the class of 'average' though in terms of all inclusive resorts.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...dero_Cuba.html

Barcelo Marina Palace at $1050 is a worse deal in my opinion. It's in the 'below average' range of quality.

Breezes Jibacoa at $1002/person in June is a much better deal than either of these in my opinion. That gets you just into the range of 'extremely nice'.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...orte_Cuba.html

The downside is it's in the middle of nowhere, and you mentioned wanting to be close to town.

Iberostar Playa Alameda at $1066 is probably worth a look too (high side of average quality, *just* below 'very nice') ..

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cmyden For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2011, 04:43 PM   #19
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Forgot to mention, ignore 'star ratings' which are a pretty bad way to determine quality. They're subjective and fairly useless.

Focus on the *overall* TripAdvisor scores (don't make the mistake of dismissing a resort based on one bad review).

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:45 PM   #20
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

dont buy in until a month before you leave...prices will drop.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote