Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-02-2010, 11:57 PM   #41
Trojan97
First Line Centre

Exp:

That episode was absolutely crazy. Unbelievable stuff.
Trojan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Trojan97 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2010, 12:00 AM   #42
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

That team was cursed... so talented, played non-stop attacking.
Just couldn't score in the WC, hit the post and everything.

When they couldn't score it led to frustration and fear and then craziness back home.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 01:58 AM   #43
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

lol dammit ... I missed it again.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 02:14 AM   #44
Jesse834
Lifetime Suspension

Location: Watching 7ungo Giving Up Goals A 5 Year Old Could Stop!
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
lol dammit ... I missed it again.
July 7th on TSN2 @ 12:30 AM. That's if you have TSN2.
Jesse834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:47 PM   #45
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I just watched the 2 escobars last nite till 3am! It is by far the best sports documentary i have ever seen. I was talking to my coworker who is from columbia about it this morning. The entire country was a mess, sort of how like Mexico is right now. Everyone just sort of stopped watching soccer after Andres was killed, and the majority of the national team quit.

Heads up. Looks like the next one in the series is by Steve Nash about Terry Fox. Should be great. Actually all these 30 for 30s have been pretty good. Except for the OJ Simpson one. Just skip it.
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bertuzzied For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2010, 01:37 PM   #46
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

The OJ one was excellent. If not just because it reaffirms that he was clearly guilty.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:55 PM   #47
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertuzzied View Post
I just watched the 2 escobars last nite till 3am! It is by far the best sports documentary i have ever seen. I was talking to my coworker who is from columbia about it this morning. The entire country was a mess, sort of how like Mexico is right now. Everyone just sort of stopped watching soccer after Andres was killed, and the majority of the national team quit.

Heads up. Looks like the next one in the series is by Steve Nash about Terry Fox. Should be great. Actually all these 30 for 30s have been pretty good. Except for the OJ Simpson one. Just skip it.
I wished they talked more about the colombian team making it to the 1990 World Cup and the success it had there and also the 1998 World Cup and how the team recovered to qualify again. The documentary seemed too american-centric, as if it is only a big story because the World was in America.

That really was an amazing team, one of the best I've ever seen at it's peak. Attacking football at it's greatest.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:48 PM   #48
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Terry Fox episode was on tonight. I'm still crying. A truly amazing man. Thank you, Steve Nash, for bringing his story to the US through ESPN.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2010, 09:04 PM   #49
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
The Terry Fox episode was on tonight. I'm still crying. A truly amazing man. Thank you, Steve Nash, for bringing his story to the US through ESPN.
Amazing stuff. It brought me to tears as well.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:41 PM   #50
flames_1987
#1 Springs1 Fan

Exp:

I've loved this series so far and have made sure to watch almost every one produced BUT....

The Marion Jones one was freaking awful. They had a chance to really dive into the story and address a huge issue in sports right now, but the people behind this episode failed horribly. I hope her book fails miserably.
flames_1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flames_1987 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2010, 04:00 PM   #51
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_1987 View Post
I've loved this series so far and have made sure to watch almost every one produced BUT....

The Marion Jones one was freaking awful. They had a chance to really dive into the story and address a huge issue in sports right now, but the people behind this episode failed horribly. I hope her book fails miserably.
I'll go one step further. The Jones 30 for 30 was the biggest POS I've ever seen. It was like some sort of propaganda film to make a disgraced loser sprinter look like a rejuvenated hero who overcame hardships. It really does taint all the other 30 for 30 episodes I've seen.

People like jones are the scum of the earth. All she did for an entire hour was lay blame on everyone else and make herself look like a victim. Why did they even let her be a part of the doc? To let her promote her book?

If John singleton directed the 30 for 30 on OJ Simpson I'm certain he would have interviewed that murdering scumbag and tried to paint him as victim too.

They could have explored the steroid abuse in sports and specifically all the lying and cheating US amteur sports organizations have done in covering up all the drug use by athletes. Which BTW is true AFAIK. Not sure what the organization is called in the US but it has been revealed that for decades and right up until recently IIRC the amateur sports org that handles drug testing was complicit in covering up drug test failures by dozens of athletes.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 11-17-2010 at 09:50 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 04:02 PM   #52
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agreed. I couldn't believe what I was watching. "Poor me, boo hoo hoo." Yeah, I bet it was tough cashing all of your cheques when you were winning gold medals. But those bad people made you cheat. Brutal.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 05:10 PM   #53
dustyanddaflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
Agreed. I couldn't believe what I was watching. "Poor me, boo hoo hoo." Yeah, I bet it was tough cashing all of your cheques when you were winning gold medals. But those bad people made you cheat. Brutal.
Bah, watched it and was surprised to see that it was the route the producer chose to roll with it - but, it is nice to see that she is doing something productive with a career that crashed and burned. I know that there a lot of people that don't like to give one a second chance, but Marion Jones can still be productive with her past for those who follow behind her.
dustyanddaflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:36 PM   #54
flames_1987
#1 Springs1 Fan

Exp:

What makes this so much worse is how great the 30 for 30 series have been up to this point and the potential story like this had.

They didn't even touch on the fact that she lied and lied and lied about this entire thing!! I was excited to see this, because of the way almost all of the 30 for 30's have been so candid and not afraid to touch dark areas or ask tough questions.

It was just so dumbed down to the audience, and was an insult to the documentary genre.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:30 AM   #55
ricoFlame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wonder what happened to the bartman flick ("Bartman catching hell"), evidently it's not part of the series anymore. very interested in seeing that one.

Marcus Dupree story was a gem.
ricoFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:34 AM   #56
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricoFlame View Post
Man did that guy get some bad advice.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:40 PM   #57
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

My favorite one so far has been One Night In Vegas. I think that's what its called...about Tupac and Tyson.
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:55 PM   #58
flames_1987
#1 Springs1 Fan

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricoFlame View Post
Wonder what happened to the bartman flick ("Bartman catching hell"), evidently it's not part of the series anymore. very interested in seeing that one.

It's going to come out in 2011. ESPN wanted them to make the film even longer. Should be a good oen
Old 11-18-2010, 02:56 PM   #59
flames_1987
#1 Springs1 Fan

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Man did that guy get some bad advice.
Bad advice, bad people around him and a very poor work ethic at that age.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:12 PM   #60
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

This show about Chrissy Evert and Martina Navratilova was moving:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...portCat=tennis

The latest film in ESPN's "30 for 30" series features a bond nearly impossible to forge in the current sports world of Twitter spats and character-bashing trash talk, an unbreakable friendship formed out of a fierce rivalry. Eighty times, Martina Navratilova and Chris Evert met on the courts and, through it all, two of the greatest female tennis stars in history remained inseparable.

"The rivalry is unmatched, the numbers speak for themselves," Lax says. "Obviously Ali-Frazier is a great rivalry, but in terms of longevity, and its meaning for women's tennis, it's definitely the greatest rivalry in tennis overall, and arguably the greatest sports rivalry in history."

It's possible that, one day, a new tandem will emerge to become the new Navratilova-Evert, a rivalry that defines a sport, a generation, even a gender, for that matter. The 80 meetings can be surpassed, the throne of "best ever" usurped. Records can be scratched out, monikers can be supplanted.

But the friendship? Now that will forever be unmatched.

Last edited by troutman; 11-18-2010 at 04:15 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote