Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-29-2020, 07:34 PM   #1
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:
Default MEAN/MERN with mysql instead of Mongo?

Hey... So I have a data project coming up that I want to use a modified MERN stack on, but we have concerns about Mongo for something like this. This isn't an app with a db, this is a db with an app.

To that end, anyone have experience using one of the big three (oracle, mysql, ms sql) with a node/react stack? Do you know any video resources you can point me towards (Udemy / Lynda / YouTube)?

I don't need to learn about the db side (I'm pretty good with sql), I just need something that shows how to use a relational db with the stack.

Hopefully that makes sense!
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 02:54 PM   #2
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2020, 01:42 PM   #3
Weirdness
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Check out Sequelize. I got a bit of experience with it in my boot camp course, but I didn't use it outside of lectures since my final project didn't really need a database. My takeaway is it made using an SQL database a lot easier.

https://sequelize.org/

Last edited by Weirdness; 01-31-2020 at 01:46 PM.
Weirdness is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weirdness For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2020, 01:55 PM   #4
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I've worked with (iteracted with maybe is better) node.js on the server, but it was only to serve up a SPA, the client side was all written by a front end dev in whatever framework (I can't even remember which). The server side I wrote in Grails, so I've never written anything server side using node.js

That said an ORM can really help a lot (I've used https://hibernate.org/ a lot, it's a Java ORM).

They do things a certain way so sometimes if you need to go outside how they want to do things it can be bothersome, and getting the ORM to create the tables exactly as you want them can sometimes be fiddly, but I found in general they save a lot of work.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2020, 02:52 PM   #5
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Hey... So I have a data project coming up that I want to use a modified MERN stack on, but we have concerns about Mongo for something like this. This isn't an app with a db, this is a db with an app.

To that end, anyone have experience using one of the big three (oracle, mysql, ms sql) with a node/react stack? Do you know any video resources you can point me towards (Udemy / Lynda / YouTube)?

I don't need to learn about the db side (I'm pretty good with sql), I just need something that shows how to use a relational db with the stack.

Hopefully that makes sense!
I just released a service that is using Typescript with MariaDB (MySQL). Hit me up if you want.
Old 04-01-2020, 12:05 AM   #6
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdness View Post
Check out Sequelize. I got a bit of experience with it in my boot camp course, but I didn't use it outside of lectures since my final project didn't really need a database. My takeaway is it made using an SQL database a lot easier.

https://sequelize.org/

So... is Sequelize to Node/SQL what Mongoose is to Node/MongoDB?
Old 04-01-2020, 12:08 AM   #7
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
I just released a service that is using Typescript with MariaDB (MySQL). Hit me up if you want.
Will it work with MS SQL? I've been given the OK to switch the stack to Node/Express/React, but I've been told MS SQL is 100% required.