Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-04-2019, 11:39 AM   #41
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think that everyone is way to high on the Pack this year...and this is coming from a fan. I'm hoping to be shocked, but I don't see how they have improved enough to jump Chicago or Minnesota. Toss in Rodgers not playing in the preseason and yeah, it's going to be an interesting start to the season
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 11:41 AM   #42
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
People are wayyyyyyy too high on the Chargers this year.
I'm in the camp that thinks one or more of the old QB's in this league will finally have their decline moments. Rivers, Brees (kind of did in the 2nd half of last season), Brady, Big Ben, etc simply can't keep this up forever and Rivers in particular never had a great arm in his prime.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 12:42 PM   #43
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocoli View Post
I think that everyone is way to high on the Pack this year...and this is coming from a fan. I'm hoping to be shocked, but I don't see how they have improved enough to jump Chicago or Minnesota. Toss in Rodgers not playing in the preseason and yeah, it's going to be an interesting start to the season
We'll see. I like the adjustments they made on defense but I was really underwhelmed by the Lafleur hiring.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 12:54 PM   #44
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I see a lot of people talking that the Chargers are really talented...but Derwin James is out, and Gordon is holding out. So like a lot of other years...they have talent, but Chargers are doing Charger things to undermine the talent.

They could very well win the Division...but they will not be in the Superbowl this year.

Than add in the conspiracy theory of the NFL not wanting a playoff game with 30,000 fans...most of them cheering for the other team.

The only constant in the NFL is the Patriots...everything else moves.

I'll take the Patriots to against a NFC north opponent this year solely because they have cycled thru every other Division in the NFL already, and since only the NFC East has ever been able to beat them in a Superbowl...they win.
My Predictions
AFC
Division Winners
New England
Baltimore
Houston
Denver
Wild Cards
Pittsburgh Steelers
Jacksonville Jaguars

NFC
Division Winners
Philadelphia
Chicago
Atlanta
Seattle
Wild Cards
Los Angeles Rams
Minnesota Vikings

AFC Championship
Ravens 13 @ Patriots 14

NFC Championship
Bears 20 @ Seahawks 13

Superbowl
Rematch of Superbowl 15, except that this time the Patriots are not some rag tag Wild Card team taking on a dominating team with an all time defence.

Patriots 24 Bears 21
The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2019, 01:11 PM   #45
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know you like to self-hate your own team there Syl, but the ####ing Broncos winning the division?
Old 09-04-2019, 01:21 PM   #46
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Crazy stuff always happens...that said it's Hot Take Material for sure.
Old 09-04-2019, 01:25 PM   #47
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Crazy stuff like the entire AFC West being suspended for the year except the Broncos? I think the Raiders have a better shot than the Broncos if you wanna go with a crazy hot take.
Old 09-04-2019, 01:42 PM   #48
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Broncos still have the potential to be a top 5-10 defense this season.

Question is if the offense will be able to stay on the field long enough, and score enough points to make up for it.

I personally think KC wins that division still but if the Broncos somehow got into a Wild Card on the back of the defense I wouldn't be shocked.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 01:44 PM   #49
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Denver winning the division? Good luck there, I’ve never seen a 6-10 team win a division but it’s mathematically possible I guess.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 01:52 PM   #50
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Broncos were about 1.5 wins better than their 2018 win total but that's a pretty big leap to make.
Old 09-04-2019, 02:45 PM   #51
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
Crazy stuff always happens...that said it's Hot Take Material for sure.
Well, having the Seahawks over the Rams in the NFC West is already a bold limb you're out on, and I like it, but you don't have to go completely bonkers.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 03:10 PM   #52
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Broncos were about 1.5 wins better than their 2018 win total but that's a pretty big leap to make.
I personally thought Vance Joseph was a terrible coach. That alone probably cost them those wins.

They do still have a good defence, and Vic Fangio is very experienced in running a good defence. They have a good running duo in Lindsey and Royce Freeman as well. Really they need the offence to not lose games and Flacco can game manage an offence. So get your expected wins plus some luck and maybe they win 10 games.

I know I'm always optimistic about my own team...but they never meet expectations, and the expectations in KC will never be higher than they are this year.
Old 09-04-2019, 03:15 PM   #53
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

don't forget Munchak as OL coach. The Steelers having UDFAs starting at both tackle positions is a testament to his work there.

still I imagine the Chiefs to run away with that division ... just too good of an offense. Not that sold on the Chargers, but who knows.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 03:16 PM   #54
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's reason to be concerned with the Chiefs, but we just watched an extended run of Aaron Rodgers taking a crappy Packers team to the playoffs year in and out. Elite QB play can cover up a lot of issues.
Old 09-04-2019, 08:00 PM   #55
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Bills are getting no love I see.

I think they grab a Wildcard spot.

People seem to not realise the Bills had the Number 2 ranked defence last year.

Now that Allen has some receivers to throw to I think their offence is going to show a big improvement.

Also the rookie RB Singletary is going to have a big year I think. It's one of the reasons they released Shady McCoy so he could get more touches.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:06 PM   #56
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
Bills are getting no love I see.

I think they grab a Wildcard spot.

People seem to not realise the Bills had the Number 2 ranked defence last year.

Now that Allen has some receivers to throw to I think their offence is going to show a big improvement.

Also the rookie RB Singletary is going to have a big year I think. It's one of the reasons they released Shady McCoy so he could get more touches.
The Bills' underlying numbers were bad last year, even if they did have a good defense. Allen needs to take a massive step forward or they're going to be lucky to break 6-10.
Old 09-04-2019, 08:34 PM   #57
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
The Bills' underlying numbers were bad last year, even if they did have a good defense. Allen needs to take a massive step forward or they're going to be lucky to break 6-10.
I guess we will see. They have one of the easiest schedules in the league.

I just started following them again last season but loved watching them last year, especially with Allen at QB. I loved the moves they made this offseason. Basically brought in a whole new Oline and receiver core and outside of Centre didn't really go for the big names. I think they will surprise a lot of people this year.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 07:24 AM   #58
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not sure Patrick Mahomes could win 8 games with Cole Beasley, John Brown, and Andre Roberts as his starting receivers. Allen still needs a lot of work and unfortunately has not been surrounded by a lot of talent to bail him out as the running back group is also not very inspiring. The reason Mahomes took off last season was because Reid already had an offense in place full of pro-bowlers at WR, TE, RB so you could say I'm not a fan of the Bills approach of drafting a franchise QB and surrounding him with junk while expecting him to develop.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:29 AM   #59
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Broncos still have the potential to be a top 5-10 defense this season.

Question is if the offense will be able to stay on the field long enough, and score enough points to make up for it.

I personally think KC wins that division still but if the Broncos somehow got into a Wild Card on the back of the defense I wouldn't be shocked.
Joe Flacco surrounded by a top 5 defense. We have seen that before and it led to mediocrity in Baltimore. I do like the coaching changes but Flacco is going to have to have his best season in some time for that team to make the playoffs.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:55 AM   #60
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Joe Flacco surrounded by a top 5 defense. We have seen that before and it led to mediocrity in Baltimore. I do like the coaching changes but Flacco is going to have to have his best season in some time for that team to make the playoffs.
I wouldn't call what the Ravens were doing Mediocre in his overall body of work. He certainly had his limits, but they made the playoffs frequently, won a Superbowl, and was in a couple other AFC Championship games. Since 2013, he has been mediocre though.

But since Manning left the Bronco's have not had mediocre play at QB. I agree that Flacco would need to have a bit of a bounce back, but I do think that he can play better than Case Keenum, and that with better coaching could be enough for the Bronco's to be that team who end up with 10 wins.

Now to be clear I'm not going out and better money on this, it's my odd ball prediction. Every year someone surprises in the NFL, and I'm guessing it will be the Bronco's who are better than people think.