Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-18-2018, 09:46 AM   #1
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Help me buy a TV

Hey CP,

I'm looking for a very cheap, very big TV to put in my bonus room 65"+ I'm not a TV snob and no very little about quality so I see a bunch of low cost TV's but I have no idea what is good and what is crap.

TV will be used mainly for PS4(Pro) so 4k HDR would be nice but I hear true HDR doesn't come cheap. Any guidance is appreciated.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:50 AM   #2
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

How cheap is very cheap?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:51 AM   #3
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Just as a general rule for TVs, you should be good as long as the brand name starts with an S. Samsung, Sony, Sharp... all good. The lone real exception is LG. Vizio is... fine, just not always the best picture quality, and but always super reliable.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:52 AM   #4
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
How cheap is very cheap?
$0 - $1500ish
Old 07-18-2018, 09:54 AM   #5
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This might help you:

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/real...t-hot-2208503/
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:56 AM   #6
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Just as a general rule for TVs, you should be good as long as the brand name starts with an S. Samsung, Sony, Sharp... all good. The lone real exception is LG. Vizio is... fine, just not always the best picture quality, and but always super reliable.
This is pretty terrible advice. There's a big gap between Samsung and Sharp, and I say that owning one of each. And Panasonic makes the best TV in the world right now.

Anyway, Raekwon, if $1500 is your budget, you can find a Vizio M65 for 1300 at Costco, or a P65 if you're willing to go to 1599. Those are probably your best bang for the buck in that range.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2018, 10:05 AM   #7
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I went with the TCL display reviewed here: https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-tv/

Picture quality is excellent, but Roku is pretty useless in Canada. Half of the channels won't even open.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:19 AM   #8
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is no HDR on a TV a deal breaker? and why?
Old 07-18-2018, 11:41 AM   #9
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

It isn't. A TV with no HDR support and a better quality picture in general is always going to be preferable to the opposite... By a lot. In your price range that wouldn't be what I would focus on at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2018, 07:56 PM   #10
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ended up stepping down a model to go bigger but has most of the M series perks.

https://www.costco.ca/Vizio-E70-E3-7...100323605.html
The Following User Says Thank You to Raekwon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2018, 08:36 PM   #11
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
Hey CP,

I'm looking for a very cheap, very big TV to put in my bonus room 65"+ I'm not a TV snob and no very little about quality so I see a bunch of low cost TV's but I have no idea what is good and what is crap.
Look for deep black levels as to date that's still the most obvious issue in any TV's image reproduction. Screens that can resolve shadow detail in dark scenes while still painting an inky black will always pop in a light controlled viewing environment.

Most modern screens will have way more brightness than you'll ever need, but maybe be attentive to minimal screen reflectivity if you'll be viewing a room with windows or spotlights.

Budget a little extra for a proper calibration(either diy with a colorimeter or by a professional). Proper grayscale and contrast/brightness for your final viewing environment will comprise a huge portion of video reproduction accuracy.

OLED, like Plasma before it, is your best bet for PQ if you're going to use the screen responsibly. Image retention is a real, but preventable issue unless the intent is to be used for lots of static content (i.e. a compter monitor) in which case you would want an LED display with a PLS /IPS or equivalent panel.

Don't get fooled by fancy processing features. Most often the best results use the least amount of DSP. Raw performance reigns.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 07-18-2018 at 08:45 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2018, 09:13 AM   #12
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Take a look at these guys. They sell refurb TVs. I bought my current TV from their Vancouver store when I still lived there. I've had no problems.

http://www.openbox.ca
DionTheDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 06:02 PM   #13
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Costco is clearing out their last year LG OLED tv's. I just got a 65" for $2500.

Still not cheap.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 06:10 PM   #14
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
Costco is clearing out their last year LG OLED tv's. I just got a 65" for $2500.

Still not cheap.
Worth it though. Even the best LCD's just don't do blacks well enough for me. OLED is the best of both worlds. It's the way to go if you can afford it.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:11 AM   #15
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

How'd you score that deal? They're $3300 on the website.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:13 AM   #16
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Costco's website is weird to me. I think they incorporate shipping into the prices, but don't indicate that, so the in-store price can be way better. Not sure if that's the case here as $800 would obviously be insane for shipping.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:13 AM   #17
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Not a fan of LG reliability, they always lead in features but tend to be poor in quality. They tend to be cheaper but you pay for what you get.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 08-07-2018 at 08:24 AM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:40 AM   #18
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It was in-store. They had a 55 inch OLED on for around $2k, and the one I bought. I think I got the last 65. We went looking for a 65-70 inch led, and my wife saw this years oled, and said "I want that". I said, "it's $5000". The Costco employee overheard our conversation and told us they are blowing out last years and took us to them. This was at the Signal hill store. I'm assuming other Costco's are doing the same.

$99 to extend the warranty from 2 to 5 years. I have 90 days to decide if I'm going to take it. What are peoples thoughts on the extended warranty?
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:47 AM   #19
JackJack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Costco extended warranty is worth it everytime.

Rumor has it that if your TV goes kaput and they can't fix it they just replace it with a comparable model.
JackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 02:57 PM   #20
Iceman57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
It was in-store. They had a 55 inch OLED on for around $2k, and the one I bought. I think I got the last 65. We went looking for a 65-70 inch led, and my wife saw this years oled, and said "I want that". I said, "it's $5000". The Costco employee overheard our conversation and told us they are blowing out last years and took us to them. This was at the Signal hill store. I'm assuming other Costco's are doing the same.

$99 to extend the warranty from 2 to 5 years. I have 90 days to decide if I'm going to take it. What are peoples thoughts on the extended warranty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJack View Post
Costco extended warranty is worth it everytime.

Rumor has it that if your TV goes kaput and they can't fix it they just replace it with a comparable model.
YES! Always get the extended warranty but just double check it is an "in home" warranty and not one where they need to ship the product off somewhere while you wait to hear back from them. I really don't believe that would be the case for a 65" TV though, LG OLED's are the best, I highly recommend.
Iceman57 is offline   Reply With Quote