Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-29-2010, 12:23 PM   #21
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
In related news I blame Russic for getting me addicted to MacBreak, oh somewhere around the iPad presser.
It's a great podcast isn't it! Andy Ihnatko is my favorite tech pundit, Leo is a very good moderator (I don't agree with much he has to say), alex lindsay is the resident fanboy but he's not too over-bearing. The guests they bring on are usually quite good. The general news, app picks and audible picks of the week make it a prime podcast to listen to imo.

The flash thing is interesting ... I figured it was an acceptable casualty for me to not have it, but now I'm shocked to see how many sites are moving to systems that are iPhone/iPad friendly. I never figured that the devices could grow to the point that so many sites would change their behavior to suit a flashless device.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:01 PM   #22
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

In a rather shocking turn of events, Adobe Guy is currently telling the Wall Street Journal that Steve Jobs is a liar and that Flash is the tool Jesus used to turn water into wine.

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2010/04/...ith-adobe-ceo/
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:11 PM   #23
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
In a rather shocking turn of events, Adobe Guy is currently telling the Wall Street Journal that Steve Jobs is a liar and that Flash is the tool Jesus used to turn water into wine.

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2010/04/...ith-adobe-ceo/
I'll admit I just skimmed the article. However does Adobe Guy respond the the mouse/keyboard verses touch argument in Job's essay?
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:46 PM   #24
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

He doesn't cover the mouse/touch comments.

This is awesome though:

Speaking about Mr. Jobs's assertion that Adobe is the No. 1 cause of Mac crashes, Mr. Narayan says if Adobe crashes Apple, that actually has something "to do with the Apple operating system."
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 04:17 PM   #25
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Haha, that's brilliant.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:26 PM   #26
Draug
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
I hate general topic threads. I'd rather we keep making new ones whenever warranted.
This.

All that happens with a Megathread is you lose track and never check back in unless you have the time to follow the thread daily... I came into a "Megathread" just to post this but you beat me to it.

I lost track of the Round 1 playoff threads even and ended up getting the news from TSN rather than the more accurate and timely source of CP
Draug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 04:46 PM   #27
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mr. Jobs's assertion that Adobe is the No. 1 cause of Mac crashes

Is that really true? I recall them mentioning that on Mac Break Weekly and everyone laughed saying no way is that the case.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 04:49 PM   #28
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post

Is that really true? I recall them mentioning that on Mac Break Weekly and everyone laughed saying no way is that the case.
The flash plug in causes safari to crash all the time. Apple is really the only ones to know for sure as they get all the crash reports.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 04:53 PM   #29
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post

The correct stat is that Flash is the #1 cause of crashes in Safari. Since that's usually the only thing that consistently crashes on a Mac, it's essentially a true statement.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:04 PM   #30
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
The correct stat is that Flash is the #1 cause of crashes in Safari. Since that's usually the only thing that consistently crashes on a Mac, it's essentially a true statement.
Unless you're me and Time Machine causes you to crash, xcode causes you to crash, chrome causes you to crash, Mail causes you to crash.....

My iMac would do the OS X equivalent of the BSOD almost daily before I figured out something was wrong with my time machine disk.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:07 PM   #31
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
Unless you're me and Time Machine causes you to crash, xcode causes you to crash, chrome causes you to crash, Mail causes you to crash.....

My iMac would do the OS X equivalent of the BSOD almost daily before I figured out something was wrong with my time machine disk.
I even made the word "usually" really, really big.

...but yeah, I feel your pain. Time Machine is nice to have and works great, but it does have some quirks to it.

An unrelated bit of annoyance for me, is how Spotlight (in Snow Leopard) keeps continuously searching after you've already selected what you're looking for. It bugged me quite a bit, because I use Spotlight for everything... but I finally figured out what was causing it. It was getting stuck trying to index the Windows NTFS partition. Once I went into the settings and removed that partition from the index, it behaved normally again.

Last edited by FanIn80; 04-29-2010 at 05:10 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:10 PM   #32
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

That letter by Jobs is 80% baloney, hippocracy and arrogance, 10% red herring and 10% legitimate beef. If Apple had said it was the mouse vs touch ui issues 2 years ago none of this would be news.

I'd get into the letter more if I weren't on my phone.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2010, 06:38 PM   #33
QuadCityImages
Scoring Winger

Exp:

There's a lot of truth that Flash games and stuff suck with touch screens, but a lot of Flash websites are perfectly tolerable. I still hate Flash, but its a huge chunk of the web. For example, try planning a wedding without it. Venues, bands, DJs, photographers (especially photographers...), caterers... all of their crappy websites use Flash. Like I've said before, I'm not at all a Flash defender, but I think HTML5 can kill Flash through head-to-head competition rather than companies banning it. If it sucks as much as Steve says, people won't use it even if its available. Why not make it available for the occasional instance when its "needed?"
QuadCityImages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:19 PM   #34
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Okay Apple fans - you don't really hate flash do you? Just because Steve Jobs has come out (in marketing guru mode like he always has been at heart) and has spun out all the fake excuses for why flash is not included, it's obvious that he simply wants flash to die and that it doesn't mesh with his vision for standards in the future and his business. It's nothing personal, it's just business (in the same way that was "just business" in The Godfather). That's totally fine. Technology has to change, standards have to change and grow. Open standards need to be the future. I understand that and it is healthy.

But really guys, do you personally dislike flash? Why not allow flash content to be accessed and enjoyed, but simply prevent flash based applications to protect their app store and platform stability? I like flash and whether Adobe controls it or not is irrelevant to me, that is because of all the content for flash that has come out in the last decade as it was a very dominant form of self-expression for websites, individuals, etc. and I think it is a shame to lose all that content. My friend is totally a Mac guy and won't touch a PC but he loves flash himself. Same for my buddy who works as a professional animator. He works in flash on Apple computers everyday. HTML5, Java, etc. are all great, but it's sad to lose out on so much richness that has been created in flash and that is a shame if you think that is actually a good thing just because of corporate ego.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 04-29-2010 at 07:27 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:27 PM   #35
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flash Player kicked a puppy once. True Story.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:29 PM   #36
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
Flash Player kicked a puppy once. True Story.
Realplayer threw a baby bunny into a meatgrinder everytime it was buffering
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2010, 07:39 PM   #37
QuadCityImages
Scoring Winger

Exp:

You know, sometimes it is easy to forget that there are/were worse things than Flash... but RealPlayer... man, I don't miss that.
QuadCityImages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:48 PM   #38
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

You're not a Mac user. You have no idea how ######ed Flash can be.

Don't worry, though. I hate all browser plugins. Even QuickTime. It just happens that Adobe makes some of the most intrusive, buggy and resource-intensive plugins on the planet. Don't even get me started on Acrobat.

Edit: This was in response to the "Ok Mac fans, you don't really hate Flash, do you?" bit.

Last edited by FanIn80; 04-29-2010 at 07:53 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:49 PM   #39
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
You're not a Mac user. You have no idea how ######ed Flash can be.
I know from my Mac friends that it runs like 20% slower on Macs for some reason they've never been able to understand and that it always screws up on Safari. Nobody can seem to get a straight answer of why it doesn't work that well on Mac. Steve Jobs is blaming Adobe. Adobe is blaming Apple, etc.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:06 PM   #40
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Steve Jobs is blaming Adobe. Adobe is blaming Apple, etc.
Well, here's a tip... Apple doesn't make money from Adobe's products working well on a Mac. Adobe makes money from Adobe's products working well on a Mac.

A 3rd-party software developer blaming their target OS for why their software sucks is pretty wonky. The real truth of the matter is that Apple helped build Adobe, and Adobe has always been able to rely on their Mac user base. They've been focusing all their efforts on going after the corporate Windows crowd, and taking their Mac users for granted.

Also, I love the bit about Adobe citing their Creative Suite software as an example of why they're an "Open, multiplatform company."

#1: While Windows and Mac is more than one, so it technically qualifies as "multiplatform," that's a pretty lame way of putting it. Especially when you're comparing yourself to a company that makes an operating system. Whoever heard of a multiplatform OS? The OS is the platform...

#2: If you're going to brag about being mulitplatform, when you only support two platforms... you might want to make sure your products actually work properly on one of the two platforms.

#3: Almost every single one of their programs uses some form of proprietary file format as its default file type, and Flash is the single most proprietary mainstream technology on the internet today. If Adobe is "open" then I'm John Candy.

Last edited by FanIn80; 04-29-2010 at 08:11 PM.