Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-04-2010, 08:39 PM   #21
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Get a Nokia phone, the OS is old but they're still great phones.

This is the one I'm looking at for myself right now.

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_x6_16gb-3109.php
Da_Chief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 11:12 PM   #22
Russic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadCityImages View Post
The 100% Android recommendation stat doesn't surprise me at all. I don't know anyone who is using it who wouldn't recommend it. It can do anything the a non-jailbroken iPhone can do, and more. The Droid has almost 3 times the resolution as a 3GS.

As far as the unresponsive touchscreen, I wonder if the person's phone wasn't broken or something. I've never had an issue with laggy touch response. If the Nexus One can convince Mac lover Leo Laporte, you know that it can't be noticeably unresponsive.
I have no doubt the nexus one is a cool phone, and you're right, Leo laporte does prefer it over the iPhone (that is actually pretty huge). I do think the screen is legitimately less sensitive and for most it won't matter, but for me it stuck out. I would buy it 1000x's over a BB of course, but I prefer the iPhone.

To the OP definitely take note that nobody that owns a certain type of keyboard dislikes it. It truly is what you're used to. I was horrible with the virtual keyboard at first but now I'm useless with anything else. Whatever route you go I would advise against making the decision based on what keyboard is more comfortable. I think you can get used to anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_H8_Crawford View Post
With my iPhone, it still has to go online and pull email from a couple of my accounts (shaw is one of them). On the BB, even Shaw was pushed right to it.

Also, I loved having google talk and MSN work for my BB when I wasn't in the program - I am out in the field all day, and loved being able to communicate with my girlfriend while still checking/answering all emails and being able to do everything else... just way more handy. Not to mention that once the iPhone goes to lock screen, you have to unlock and go back into chat program to receive any chats sent to you - the berry always had it on.

One more thing - if you get an iPhone I HIGHLY recommend that you jailbreak it... not for the illegal piracy, but for the useful apps that for whatever reason Apple doesn't want - one in particular - SBSettings - fantastic little app that allows you to manage all of your connections (wifi, 3G, bluetooth, etc) from one convenient swipe across the top of your screen instead of going to settings > blah blah blah.
I don't know man ... I do that stuff on my iPhone. Locked or in another app I get a notification of an IM message from my gtalk all the time. I use beejive.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 03:57 AM   #23
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetwo_threefour View Post
Plus, I really wouldn't like paying for all the data...
This is the second time in this thread I've seen that comment. Is data free on the Blackberry?
Devils'Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Devils'Advocate For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2010, 07:31 AM   #24
gargamel
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have the Motorola Droid and I almost love it, but the phone reception is much worse than with my previous 4 year old phone with the same wireless provider (Verizon down here in the U.S.). I still haven't decided whether or not I'm satisfied with a phone that can do everything well except be a phone.
gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:35 AM   #25
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_H8_Crawford View Post
- SBSettings - fantastic little app that allows you to manage all of your connections (wifi, 3G, bluetooth, etc) from one convenient swipe across the top of your screen instead of going to settings > blah blah blah.
Android has widgets for that.

If you put one on your home screen you can just touch it to shut off or turn on many things.

Including one that if you hit it once it makes your phone go to vibrate, hit it again it goes to silent, hit it again the sound comes back on.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:36 AM   #26
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargamel View Post
I have the Motorola Droid and I almost love it, but the phone reception is much worse than with my previous 4 year old phone with the same wireless provider (Verizon down here in the U.S.). I still haven't decided whether or not I'm satisfied with a phone that can do everything well except be a phone.
Really?

From all the reviews the one thing the Droid really had going for it was crystal clear phone reception.

I just talked with someone from Washington an hour ago on my Droid and it was crystal clear.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:45 AM   #27
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

One other thing, I have a Droid, and I have an iPod Touch, and I understand why people like the iPhone. It is sleek, the touchscreen is better, and the apps are more or less the same as the Android Market, even if there are more.

Go with what you like. Right now if I wanted to wait for something I'd wait for one of the new HTC phones to come to Telus.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:46 PM   #28
Russic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Really?

From all the reviews the one thing the Droid really had going for it was crystal clear phone reception.

I just talked with someone from Washington an hour ago on my Droid and it was crystal clear.
Ya isn't the phone reception going to be more a product of your carrier and where you are rather than the phone itself? People in California have a much different idea of how well the iPhone works as a phone than somebody in Calgary, and that's not the fault of the phone, but rather AT&T.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 01:23 PM   #29
gargamel
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Really?

That's what I'd heard too, but I'm still using Verizon and my old Samsung flip phone got much better reception than my new Motorola Droid. It's losing calls in places that my other phone was always fine, so it's not just my perception.

I've never had another smart phone though, so maybe the Droid is good compared to other smart phones but not great compared to the old designated talking devices? Overall I'm still happy with it, but it's probably not a bad idea to talk to other Droid owners who live near you about what kind of reception they've been getting just to be safe.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:38 PM   #30
QuadCityImages
Scoring Winger

Exp:

My Droid started off sounding all echo-y, but then I disabled "Voice Privacy" (whatever that is) under Call Settings, and its been crystal clear since.
QuadCityImages is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to QuadCityImages For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2010, 12:42 AM   #31
onetwo_threefour
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils'Advocate View Post
This is the second time in this thread I've seen that comment. Is data free on the Blackberry?
Not at all, but my understanding is that the iPhone browser downloads webpages just as though you were doing it on your desktop. While many criticize the BB Browser it is nice to know that you're not downloading ridiculous amounts of data since there are so many mobile optimized sites.

I do wish that online media support was not 20 years behind and I hope RIM gets their act in gear on that front.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:53 AM   #32
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:

I pay for 500MB of data on my BlackBerry.
I used 30 last month.

Talking to the guy at the store he said he tried to use as much as he could it a month (watching youtube videos all month) and he only used 400ish.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:27 AM   #33
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have the 6GB plan on my iPhone and have never gone over 400MB, and same as you, I was TRYING to see how much I could use.

I'm not getting this "mobile optimized sites for BB".... cbc, tsn, canoe... they all come up with the mobile optimized sites on my iPhone. Are there more optimized sites for BB than for iPhone?

Last edited by Devils'Advocate; 04-06-2010 at 02:17 AM. Reason: I can't believe I misspelled "there"...
Devils'Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:01 AM   #34
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
I have the 6GB plan on my iPhone and have never gone over 400MB, and same as you, I was TRYING to see how much I could use.

I'm not getting this "mobile optimized sites for BB".... cbc, tsn, canoe... they all come up with their mobile optimized sites on my iPhone. Are their more optimized sites for BB than for iPhone?
"Big" pages are generally in the 120kb range on my BlackBerry.

Not sure about the iPhone, but I'm sure it's pretty hard to rack up huge data bills as well unless you're watching videos and streaming music.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 06:46 AM   #35
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Even the first month I had my Blackberry when I was downloading every app known to man I had about 300MB of data use. Now it is about 100 - 150MB on average. I get all my personal and work email on it, use Twitter and read stuff from my RSS feed.

I can't even imagine what it would take to go over my 500MB basic plan. How much data does a normal iPhone user consume?
Old 04-06-2010, 06:50 AM   #36
QuadCityImages
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I've used 718 megs in the last 7 days on my Droid. And that's a week when the NBC Thursday shows were reruns, so I didn't stream them.
QuadCityImages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:17 AM   #37
gargamel
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadCityImages View Post
My Droid started off sounding all echo-y, but then I disabled "Voice Privacy" (whatever that is) under Call Settings, and its been crystal clear since.
Thanks to your advice, I tried this and it does seem to be making a difference. I still lost a call today in a parking garage that I never had a problem in with my old phone, but the sound quality seems significantly better.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:38 AM   #38
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
Even the first month I had my Blackberry when I was downloading every app known to man I had about 300MB of data use. Now it is about 100 - 150MB on average. I get all my personal and work email on it, use Twitter and read stuff from my RSS feed.

I can't even imagine what it would take to go over my 500MB basic plan. How much data does a normal iPhone user consume?
I've had the 6gb for $30 plan since the iPhone came to Canada. I don't think I've ever gone over 300mb in a single month. I tether, too.

I used 174mb last month, and I use this thing like crazy... with mad data eating skillzzz.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:48 AM   #39
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Somehow I doubt Rogers will be ready to roll out 4G in the summer.
Basically it means 4th Generation not a 4G network. The next gen iPhone is not expected to use a 4G network.

Quote:
I seriously doubt we'll get the new iPhone up here right when they roll it out.
Why not? We got the 3GS. The only delay in getting anything up here was dealing with Rogers. At least one of the GSM carriers in Canada will pick up the iPhone, and probably Rogers.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:50 AM   #40
Pastiche
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I just bought a Nexus One going with Wind. I need the unlimited data. I am not keeping any music on my phone proper. I will use the Subsonic app to stream music from my home server to my phone thereby allowing me to have access to my entire music library over 3g. The Subsonic app locally caches all of the songs you stream so you have a local copy incase you are out of range.

With that said, if I stream 30 hours of 128k a month then that is 1.7GB. I would preferably stream 192k and listen to the same amount or more. Anyway, cool app. Subsonic is a great program btw.
Pastiche is offline   Reply With Quote