Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-12-2017, 05:04 PM   #61
codynw
Franchise Player
 
codynw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
Slow and old. Remind me again how either of those traits fit on a team looking to be a cup contender?
Pretty sure Jagr has been to the Stanley Cup final more recently than anyone on the Flames roster.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Green text is for mouth breathers.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 05:20 PM   #62
getbak
Franchise Player
 
getbak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
Pretty sure Jagr has been to the Stanley Cup final more recently than anyone on the Flames roster.
__________________
Turn up the good, turn down the suck!
getbak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 05:22 PM   #63
Gaudfather
#1 Goaltender
 
Gaudfather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Right behind you.
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
Pretty sure Jagr has been to the Stanley Cup final more recently than anyone on the Flames roster.
More recent than Versteeg in 2015?
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 06:30 PM   #64
codynw
Franchise Player
 
codynw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudfather View Post
More recent than Versteeg in 2015?
Okay so one player. And then Frolik and Hamilton made it in the same year as Jagr.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Green text is for mouth breathers.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 06:32 PM   #65
Love
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Love's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Exp:
Default

Yeah, he's slow and old. Also, how badly does he want to win? Is he just chasing records at this point? Is he willing to dive in front of a Shea Weber slapshot in the waning minutes of the third to preserve a win?
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:10 PM   #66
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender
 
thymebalm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Vancouver
Exp:
Default

You can't use "old" as an argument for Jaromir Jagr people. He's an anomaly!

Past 4 seasons:

Jagr (really old) 320GP - 84G - 142A - 226PTS
Monahan (really young) 319GP - 107G - 110A - 217PTS

As far as slow is concerned... I don't know how accurate the speed concern is, but I do know that smart beats fast every time, and is why fast Lombardi couldn't even sniff at what smart Jagr can do.

Until he signs elsewhere, I'm hoping he signs here.
__________________
Death by 4th round picks.
thymebalm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thymebalm For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2017, 10:15 PM   #67
Gaudfather
#1 Goaltender
 
Gaudfather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Right behind you.
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymebalm View Post
You can't use "old" as an argument for Jaromir Jagr people. He's an anomaly!

Past 4 seasons:

Jagr (really old) 320GP - 84G - 142A - 226PTS
Monahan (really young) 319GP - 107G - 110A - 217PTS

As far as slow is concerned... I don't know how accurate the speed concern is, but I do know that smart beats fast every time, and is why fast Lombardi couldn't even sniff at what smart Jagr can do.

Until he signs elsewhere, I'm hoping he signs here.
I understand your argument, but other than Jagr why are their virtually no smart 40 year olds playing in the NHL - smarts alone can't cut it either.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 11:39 PM   #68
memphusk
Powerplay Quarterback
 
memphusk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymebalm View Post
You can't use "old" as an argument for Jaromir Jagr people. He's an anomaly!

Past 4 seasons:

Jagr (really old) 320GP - 84G - 142A - 226PTS
Monahan (really young) 319GP - 107G - 110A - 217PTS

As far as slow is concerned... I don't know how accurate the speed concern is, but I do know that smart beats fast every time, and is why fast Lombardi couldn't even sniff at what smart Jagr can do.

Until he signs elsewhere, I'm hoping he signs here.
62 years of previous experience helps also. What's happens when he ends up on a team that has actual pressure to compete? Wait, nobody that's competing really wants him, so nothing. Weird.
__________________
I hate just about everyone and just about everything.
memphusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 11:54 PM   #69
JohnnyB
#1 Goaltender
 
JohnnyB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Shanghai
Exp:
Default

Ages that the other top all-time scorers in the NHL played their last seasons:

Gretzky 38
Messier 43
Howe 52
Francis 41
Dionne 37
Yzerman 40

Guys like Messier, Gretzky, Francis and Yzerman all hit their late 30s/early 40s at a time when the NHL was much more rough and tumble as well, rather than the skill, speed and smarts driven play there is now. Not so many big guys beating up the old bodies anymore.

It could be the reason there are virtually no smart 40 year-olds playing in the NHL is not because they shouldn't but because players of their calibre only come along a couple of times every generation...
__________________

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:09 AM   #70
Love
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Love's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Exp:
Default

I think we should wait for training camp first.

LW: Johnny, Tkachuk, Versteeg
C: Monahan, Backlund, Bennett, Stajan, Jankowski, Lazar
RW: Ferland, Frolik, Brouwer, Foo

+ Freddie Hamilton & Hathaway

Here's hoping Spencer Foo comes in and has an outstanding camp and forces his way onto the roster. Same goes for Jankowski and even potentially Klimchuk, Shinkaruk or Poirier. It would be fun to watch an unknown rookie force his way onto the roster for once.

If this doesn't happen, then we should turn our eyes to the direction of the Jagr's or Iginla's.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:01 AM   #71
IgiTang
#1 Goaltender
 
IgiTang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Exp:
Default

The problem with Jagr and a bit lesser extent Iginla is that for them to produce high numbers, they need top 6 minutes.

The 3m line is set in my opinion and no way do you move Frolik away from Backlund.

Gaudreau and Monny and let's say Jagr would be a defensive nightmare. Sure Johnny is great on the back check applying pressure in the Nutral zone but in his own end he can't force guys physically nor is his reach that great to be clogging passing lanes effectively and consistently.
Add Jagr to that who has never been great in his own end and isn't a very physical player, I think that makes Monny's job near impossible as there is no cut off man near the half boards.

I think this is where Iginla would be more effective. That said, I don't know if either are the answer and I really see Feeland being the guy who rides shotgun and can be a shutdown guy in the Dzone and be able to outlet the puck a bit better.
__________________
Kick the tires and light the fires!
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:12 AM   #72
rain_e
Scoring Winger
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
Yeah, he's slow and old. Also, how badly does he want to win? Is he just chasing records at this point? Is he willing to dive in front of a Shea Weber slapshot in the waning minutes of the third to preserve a win?
I wish we had a goalie willing to do that last year.
rain_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:02 AM.

Calgary Flames
2017-18




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016