Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Best guess at Sam Bennett's contract
2 years $6M ($3/) 34 5.57%
2 years $5.5M 62 10.16%
2 years $5M 105 17.21%
2 years $4.5M 118 19.34%
2 years $4M 55 9.02%
3 years $9M 53 8.69%
3 years $8.25M 47 7.70%
3 years $7.5M 54 8.85%
3 years $6.75M 30 4.92%
3 years $6M 10 1.64%
1 year deal 8 1.31%
Long Term deal 34 5.57%
Voters: 610. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-2017, 10:08 AM   #41
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJones View Post
The winger part is important. Obviously Leon had an unreal year but he hasn't taken his lumps at center yet. His numbers go off a cliff when he's not with McDavid. Be interesting to see how much of a leash he has when he's making 7 million and has some growing pains. I assume they'll put him at center next year.
I'm not sure they'll ever have the appetite to move him to centre. They're a really good team (barf) as-is, and finding chemistry within your line-up is incredibly important. I imagine Draisaitl continues on as a winger, as he and the Oilers as a team are having too much success with the way things are currently.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:10 AM   #42
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Draisatl already is one of the best passers in the league, has extremely good vision and high IQ.

He's better than Bennett and it's not even close. You can say it's still early but it's also still early for Draisatl and he can even get better.
Yep he's pretty good on the wing when paired with top NHL talents. When he's not his production drops off. People tend to forget that he was also one of the more NHL ready prospects in that draft (the reason the Oilers picked him as they needed immediate help) because of his size while Bennett was always pegged as a guy that would need some years to fill out.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:13 AM   #43
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I'm not sure they'll ever have the appetite to move him to centre. They're a really good team (barf) as-is, and finding chemistry within your line-up is incredibly important. I imagine Draisaitl continues on as a winger, as he and the Oilers as a team are having too much success with the way things are currently.
All depends on if they can hold on to RNH. If they have to move him for money reasons then you kind of have to move LD back to center.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:19 AM   #44
Lord Carnage
Scoring Winger

Exp:

What's Bennett's contract status in 3 years?

7 years qualifies you for UFA, and I think 6 years lets you do a 1-year arbitration scenario.

So taking him to 6 years total would be bad, but - correct me if I'm wrong - the way Bennett's contract was used up, we have used all three years of entry level, but only 2 years toward UFA?

In that case, a 3 year bridge wouldn't be the end of the world... that being said, I'd still love a 6 year deal for under 5M (4.5 - 4.75ish) if there was any way he would do it.
Lord Carnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:21 AM   #45
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
All depends on if they can hold on to RNH. If they have to move him for money reasons then you kind of have to move LD back to center.
This is a good point. As of today Nuge is likely the easiest of the $6M players to move. Lucic is untradeable and Eberle likely couldn't be moved without equal money coming the other way. I think they could flip Nuge to a team and not have to take back much money in return. For instance I have a buddy that is a Canucks fan and he told me he would trade the 5th overall for Nuge straight up
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:23 AM   #46
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think Bennett would consider a longer term deal in the $4MM to $5MM range. Say 6 years at $24MM. That sets you up for life or should. And, even if he outperforms that contract, he still has the opportunity to sign a healthy big time deal when it's done - he'll only be 27. A bridge deal of 2 years at $4MM ($2MM per to be clear) carries it's own risks. Sure, you could rip it up and get that big payday earlier, but you can also get hurt or not live up to expectations. I don't think a bridge deal is a slam dunk.
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:35 AM   #47
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Yep he's pretty good on the wing when paired with top NHL talents. When he's not his production drops off. People tend to forget that he was also one of the more NHL ready prospects in that draft (the reason the Oilers picked him as they needed immediate help) because of his size while Bennett was always pegged as a guy that would need some years to fill out.
How much does his production drop off?
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:39 AM   #48
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
How much does his production drop off?
https://puckalytics.com/#/SuperWOWY?...th=6&endday=30

670M together vs 500M alone (this season)

59.4% GF% to 44.2%

53.8% CF to 47.9%

3.67 GF60 to 2.28

Obviously anyone will drop being moved away from McDavid but those aren't scary numbers.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DJones For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2017, 11:22 AM   #49
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJones View Post
https://puckalytics.com/#/SuperWOWY?...th=6&endday=30

670M together vs 500M alone (this season)

59.4% GF% to 44.2%

53.8% CF to 47.9%

3.67 GF60 to 2.28

Obviously anyone will drop being moved away from McDavid but those aren't scary numbers.
44% GF% is a very scary number, that's Arizona/Buffalo level bad. I knew there'd be a dropoff but I wasn't expecting it to be that bad.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:39 AM   #50
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think he'll get the mumps.
Ruttiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 11:44 AM   #51
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

I said 2 years at $4.5M, which I think is an overpayment at present. It's paying for potential.

I really don't think ownership would be comfortable with a Klefbom-style deal, and I'm not sure Bennett would be either.
Five-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 11:44 AM   #52
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
44% GF% is a very scary number, that's Arizona/Buffalo level bad. I knew there'd be a dropoff but I wasn't expecting it to be that bad.
Is it? Edmonton collectively had a number of 47% and Calgary was second worst with 40%.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:55 AM   #53
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I think his playoff performance will help his case for 2 years @ 2.75 per. He was one of our best players, absolute warrior out there.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:58 AM   #54
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He was one of our best players, absolute warrior out there.
Never pay based on a small sample size. He was good for 4 games, all of which we lost.
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2017, 12:09 PM   #55
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
Never pay based on a small sample size. He was good for 4 games, all of which we lost.
he also showed improvement all season long while being buried with our worst player.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 12:11 PM   #56
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Two good wings, I hope
I thought his shoulders had healed up fine.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2017, 12:20 PM   #57
Kovaz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

A 2 year deal scares me a lot; having both Bennett and Tkachuk up for extension with no other contracts expiring scares me. Either we stay below the cap for the 2018-2019 season just in case, we're forced to trade picks and prospects to dump cap, or we risk losing one (or both). I'm already nervous about Tkachuk's next deal for that reason.

A 3 year deal puts Bennett's next extension at the same time as Brouwer, Frolik, and Brodie expire, so we'll have at least Brouwer's $4.5M to reallocate towards Brodie and Bennett. Say it's a 3 year deal at $3M per. In the 2020 off-season we'll have $16.5M to re-sign those 4. Assuming Brodie's in the $6-7M territory, we'll either have a) Bennett being worth $6-7M as well; we lose Frolik but that's mitigated by Bennett's improvement, or b) Bennett's more in the $4M territory (or less), and we only lose Brouwer.
Kovaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kovaz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2017, 12:38 PM   #58
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
he also showed improvement all season long while being buried with our worst player.
No, he really didn't. He improved towards the end which should be expected considering how bad he was a lot of the year.
Old 05-03-2017, 12:39 PM   #59
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

I use Ryan Strome as a comparible. Strome got a 2 x 2.5 bridge deal. I would try to get Sam for 3 years which would probably cost you 3 x 3.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 01:13 PM   #60
Ullr
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Leon also isn't going to get a bridge deal - he's going to get a Johnny/Sean contract.

There are teams out there who took these gambles, and look like geniuses. If the team believes in Sam Bennett, then they should absolutely overpay in the short term to gain length on the cheap.

Those throwing around sub-2M contracts over 2 years, you're off by a million dollars. Go look around the league at comparable contracts. Also, from a cap-management standpoint, doing a 2 year bridge could lead to some cap-struggles in 2 years time when Tkachuk and Bennett will need extensions and we're still paying Brouwer and Frolik a combined 8.8M. At the minimum, you get 3 years to ensure the cap-crunch doesn't take place.

Also, comparing Draisaitl to Bennett doesn't make much sense at this stage. Draisaitl is a winger, and happens to play with the best centre in the league. Bennett is a centre, who got to play with Troy Brouwer. If you want to go down the path of undervaluing our players, go nuts - but try not to gush over a player who was gifted the best wing position in the league.
I'm pretty certain that Draisatl is the #2 center for the Oilers and has been that way for the majority of the season. He basically has been a Malkin-esque player behind McDavid.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
Ullr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ullr For This Useful Post: