Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-24-2011, 01:58 PM   #1
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre
 
MickMcGeough's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default The Headphones Thread

I got thinking after some of the Bose talk in this thread (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=100559), that there are probably enough people that choose their headphones carefully enough that we could use a headphone thread.

My alterior motive is that I'm changing headphones every 6 months or so and progressively spending more, so I'm looking to learn from others' experiences here and decrease the turnover.

I'm currently using a pair of Klipsh S4i's (http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/product...-s4i-overview/) which, as far as in-ear headphones go, are excellent. Bass is clear, if not powerful, and otherwise sound reproduction is better than any buds I've used.

I'd like to get a pair of on-ear headphones for work though. The S4i's are great while walking/working out but I'd like something more powerful for when I'm not moving around.

I know there are a few Bose QC-15 owners, I'd love to hear more about those.

Monster's Beats By Dre headphones are fascinating to me because I can't think of a time I've seen quite so much universal hate for a product. I've read nothing but positive reviews from tech/gadget sites, but in forums it's nothing but people talking about how awful/overpriced they are. Anybody have these?
__________________

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:21 PM   #2
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre
 
WilsonFourTwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Calgary.
Exp:
Default

The timing is good. With motorcycle season 4-6 weeks away, it's time to find a new set of touring headphones. I was committed to getting another pair of Shure 210's (I lost my old set), but it can't hurt to look at other options.
WilsonFourTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:47 PM   #3
secol
Powerplay Quarterback
 
secol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Exp:
Default

i use a jvc ha-fx67, pretty cheap pair of in-ear headphones and i find that it's a great value
secol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:01 PM   #4
Hammertime
Scoring Winger
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Exp:
Default

Grado SR80's sound great if they fit your head. They are a different style of headphone though, they actually sit on your ear and are open (so people around can hear the music).
Hammertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:07 PM   #5
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre
 
MickMcGeough's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammertime View Post
Grado SR80's sound great if they fit your head. They are a different style of headphone though, they actually sit on your ear and are open (so people around can hear the music).
Looking at pics - it looks like a speaker grille on the outside. How loud exactly is it for people around?
__________________

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:12 PM   #6
octothorp
Franchise Player
 
octothorp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: not lurking
Exp:
Default

I've got a pair of Grado SR60s (can't comment specifically on the 80s but they've got a similar design, but I think they cup the ear better than the 60s), and they do give off quite a bit of ambient sound to your neighbours. I found that in an office where lots of computers are running and people are sitting about 10 feet away, the sound was pretty much unnoticeable (also I'm not blasting the tunes really loudly), but in a quiet environment they'd be able to hear quite clearly.
octothorp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:13 PM   #7
Ice_Weasel
Backup Goalie
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Exp:
Default

I have the Bose QC-3 (on ear vs full around ear) which i chose because they are a little smaller and I use them primarily for traveling. Bottom line, i love them. Can't say i have listened to a ton of others, but I love listening to these things - if you fly a lot they are a must have imo.
Ice_Weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:14 PM   #8
calumniate
Franchise Player
 
calumniate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: A small painted room
Exp:
Default

I would give the akg studio's a try. Gilaume gaumechi (haha spelling) wears them. They rule.. if you get the studio's they are low resistance meaning they can be loud without an amp. Most comfortable guaranteed.

Thought there was another thread about this! I should have copy pasted. But yeah.
calumniate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:42 PM   #9
Yasa
First Line Centre
 
Yasa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonFourTwo View Post
The timing is good. With motorcycle season 4-6 weeks away, it's time to find a new set of touring headphones. I was committed to getting another pair of Shure 210's (I lost my old set), but it can't hurt to look at other options.
What are the rules regarding headphones and motorcycles? Does it hinder your traffic perception if you're listening to music? I suppose overall, it's really no worse than those that drive with their stereos cranked. Just curious.
Yasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:43 PM   #10
silentsim
#1 Goaltender
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SW calgary
Exp:
Default

I use Grado SR325's. Absolutely love em.
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:19 PM   #11
Kipper is King
Pants Tent
 
Kipper is King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Exp:
Default

Grado or AKG are great choices for good sound, as others have mentioned.
__________________
KIPPER IS KING
Kipper is King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:01 AM   #12
Diverce
Lifetime Suspension
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Exp:
Default

Don't know if they are in Canada yet. But KRK Audio has a new set of headphones out that are spectacular. They are studio headphones, so not quite sure if you need an amp or not. And they are priced really well.

Beats by Dr. Dre are really good headphones. Have heard nothing but good things about them and coming from people who mix music for a living when they say something is good I take it as gospel. Price is a deciding factor, but I know that they have different types at different price ranges. But they are no different in price then other higher priced headphones IMO. Think a lot of the hate comes from the fact that it's a celebrity putting his name on it, not really knowing that he was in on the design and the sound quality... they hating for the sake of hating.
Diverce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:41 AM   #13
theonlywhiteout
Lifetime Suspension
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default



For iPhones/iPods this is the best there is, period. If your going to amp up your headphones there's probably some other DJ cans out there you'll wanna try... but the noise cancellation on these bad boys and sound quality is unmatched. They're stylish, sound amazing, and comfortable.
theonlywhiteout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to theonlywhiteout For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2011, 09:41 AM   #14
peter12
Lifetime Suspension
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Exp:
Default

I've got some Sennheisers.

Check this page out for some ratings, reviews etc...

Octothorp, how did those Grados set you back?
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:59 AM   #15
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre
 
MickMcGeough's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diverce View Post
Don't know if they are in Canada yet. But KRK Audio has a new set of headphones out that are spectacular. They are studio headphones, so not quite sure if you need an amp or not. And they are priced really well.

Beats by Dr. Dre are really good headphones. Have heard nothing but good things about them and coming from people who mix music for a living when they say something is good I take it as gospel. Price is a deciding factor, but I know that they have different types at different price ranges. But they are no different in price then other higher priced headphones IMO. Think a lot of the hate comes from the fact that it's a celebrity putting his name on it, not really knowing that he was in on the design and the sound quality... they hating for the sake of hating.
I think a lot of people (rightfully) don't like/trust Monster as a company. I think many of us have had to tell salespeople to piss off when they're trying to sell us an $80 Monster HDMI cable with our new TV when our $5 monoprice would do just as well.

$350 is definitely more than most people would spend on headphones but if they're that good...

Been looking online for these and it's not hard to find them for $250 or so but the Beats By Dre Studios are apparently the most counterfeited piece of electronics in the world right now. There are loads of stories of people buying them online and getting cans that look the part but obviously don't sound the same.

I've heard nothing but great things about Grados. Stereophile.com calls the SR60i's the best bargain in audio, period. I'm just concerned about the sound leakage. The big box stores don't carry them - anyone know of a place in town you could try these out first?
__________________

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:02 AM   #16
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre
 
MickMcGeough's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonlywhiteout View Post


For iPhones/iPods this is the best there is, period. If your going to amp up your headphones there's probably some other DJ cans out there you'll wanna try... but the noise cancellation on these bad boys and sound quality is unmatched. They're stylish, sound amazing, and comfortable.
How's the sound leakage on these? I've read a ton of reviews on these and the only common threads have been suspect build quality (which isn't a concern for me because they will mostly sit on my desk) and sound leakage.
__________________

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:12 AM   #17
silentsim
#1 Goaltender
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SW calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
I think a lot of people (rightfully) don't like/trust Monster as a company. I think many of us have had to tell salespeople to piss off when they're trying to sell us an $80 Monster HDMI cable with our new TV when our $5 monoprice would do just as well.

$350 is definitely more than most people would spend on headphones but if they're that good...

Been looking online for these and it's not hard to find them for $250 or so but the Beats By Dre Studios are apparently the most counterfeited piece of electronics in the world right now. There are loads of stories of people buying them online and getting cans that look the part but obviously don't sound the same.

I've heard nothing but great things about Grados. Stereophile.com calls the SR60i's the best bargain in audio, period. I'm just concerned about the sound leakage. The big box stores don't carry them - anyone know of a place in town you could try these out first?
Grado's are sold at k & w audio i believe
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to silentsim For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2011, 10:58 AM   #18
calumniate
Franchise Player
 
calumniate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: A small painted room
Exp:
Default

Maybe Long and Mcquade or Mothers Music.. lots of selection there
calumniate is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calumniate For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2011, 11:03 AM   #19
theonlywhiteout
Lifetime Suspension
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
How's the sound leakage on these? I've read a ton of reviews on these and the only common threads have been suspect build quality (which isn't a concern for me because they will mostly sit on my desk) and sound leakage.
Very solid. You can listen very loud and Ppl next desk won't hear
theonlywhiteout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:13 PM   #20
onetwo_threefour
Powerplay Quarterback
 
onetwo_threefour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Mahogany, aka halfway to Lethbridge
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonlywhiteout View Post


For iPhones/iPods this is the best there is, period. If your going to amp up your headphones there's probably some other DJ cans out there you'll wanna try... but the noise cancellation on these bad boys and sound quality is unmatched. They're stylish, sound amazing, and comfortable.
For those of us not in the know, those are what exactly? If I'm going to look into them it would be useful to know what they are! I don't even recognize the logo, so you'll need to give me the company name here...
__________________
onetwo and threefour... Together no more. The end of an era. Let's rebuild...
onetwo_threefour is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:14 PM.

Calgary Flames
2017-18




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016