Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-11-2017, 12:45 PM   #861
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd
 
Hack&Lube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: www.thebeervault.ca
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
Been meaning to try out an antenna for a long time, finally impulse bought a cheap one on Prime Day.

I live on Signal Hill and I'm within 5 miles of the broadcast towers for the 6 main channels. I thought just about any indoor antenna would be fine, but the one I got receives only the first three of these:



I tried multiple locations, including outdoors, and saw no effect.

Am I missing something or is this just an awful antenna?
I bought an expensive RCA antenna from Wal Mart to try this out and it failed to pick up channels. Most of the modern ones seem to suck. Eventually I found one of those 1980s TV antennas with the little plastic dish and UHF/VHF/FM tuning, etc. in a thrift store for $2 and it picks up every OTA HD channel when put on the balcony, even on a balcony in the middle of downtown surrounded by other buildings.

There's something deliciously nice about getting clear HD signals over 30 year old TV technology.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 02:30 PM   #862
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets
 
Hemi-Cuda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: slightly to the left
Exp:
Default

Anyone here gone the IPTV route? Or is that not good to discuss here since it's on the shadier side of the line
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 03:10 PM   #863
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player
 
EldrickOnIce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Chicago
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Anyone here gone the IPTV route? Or is that not good to discuss here since it's on the shadier side of the line
There are absolutely 100% legal IPTV options. Those that aren't legal are black, not shady.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 04:51 PM   #864
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Exp:
Default

Yea, usually when I heard IPTV I think of subscription-based television that happens to be delivered over the Internet rather than via cable or satellite. I understand that Shaw's BlueSky service is IPTV, as is Telus's Optik service.

Of course, illegal or grey area streaming services will also deliver their content over the Internet. I guess sometimes this is also referred to as IPTV? That can make it pretty confusing.
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gottabekd For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2017, 02:16 PM   #865
stampsx2
Powerplay Quarterback
 
stampsx2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

With Disney backing out of Netflix I'm wondering how many others will back out to become their own content providers. A decade from now are we going to be paying $10/month for each content provider? I'm guessing $100/month will become the norm. YouTube's looking for subscriptions already.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 12:37 PM   #866
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Iceman90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Behind the microphone
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
With Disney backing out of Netflix I'm wondering how many others will back out to become their own content providers. A decade from now are we going to be paying $10/month for each content provider? I'm guessing $100/month will become the norm. YouTube's looking for subscriptions already.
There is a business to be created that would curate all of the different providers, and offer them as a "package deal".

Small content providers would benefit by getting exposed - "buy the Disney channel, HBO and SportsNet and you'll also get X Y and Z." And big companies could offset their costs and potentially offer a small discount for a long term package commitment.
__________________
Fireside Chat - Official Podcast for the C of Red
New Episode Weekly! Listen Now: FiresideChat.ca
Iceman90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Iceman90 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2017, 08:46 AM   #867
rubecube
Franchise Player
 
rubecube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Victoria
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman90 View Post
There is a business to be created that would curate all of the different providers, and offer them as a "package deal".

Small content providers would benefit by getting exposed - "buy the Disney channel, HBO and SportsNet and you'll also get X Y and Z." And big companies could offset their costs and potentially offer a small discount for a long term package commitment.
I see what you did there.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:25 AM   #868
stampsx2
Powerplay Quarterback
 
stampsx2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman90 View Post
There is a business to be created that would curate all of the different providers, and offer them as a "package deal".

Small content providers would benefit by getting exposed - "buy the Disney channel, HBO and SportsNet and you'll also get X Y and Z." And big companies could offset their costs and potentially offer a small discount for a long term package commitment.
What benefit would there be to sportsnet, hbo or Disney selling their product at a discount through a third party provider? If I'm sportsnet, why should I join Netflix?
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:42 AM   #869
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Iceman90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Behind the microphone
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
What benefit would there be to sportsnet, hbo or Disney selling their product at a discount through a third party provider? If I'm sportsnet, why should I join Netflix?
One could say the same today. If I an Universal Studios, or Sony Pictures, or MGM why would I stay with Netflix and not do my own streaming service?

I don't think the average consumer wants to subscribe to each channel/content provider's service separately and then remember what is where, or open one app, browse, close it, open another, etc.

For sure there will be some people - like the majority of CP members - who would subscribe to SportsNet at full price and stand alone, because we are sports fans. But many people who watch the occasional game might not, but would take it if it was included with ABC/NBC/CBC which they want to watch their primetime TV shows - for the extra few bucks they can watch the game when they get the urge.

The average CP fan might want to get TSN,SportsNet, Fox Sports, etc. But they might not be willing to pay full price for say the Gameshow Network, or TLC. So the same kind of package would apply here.
__________________
Fireside Chat - Official Podcast for the C of Red
New Episode Weekly! Listen Now: FiresideChat.ca
Iceman90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:43 AM   #870
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar
 
Flashpoint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Exp:
Default

Netflix has noticeably dropped in content to the point where I'm about ready to cancel it now. Their own produced content (House of Cards, Glow, Stranger Things) I love, but it's like HBO now where I only subscribe for the 6 weeks I need it for Game of Thrones or Westworld.

The market for digital streaming is getting super fragmented. I wonder if these companies will see return in their investment? I cannot see myself subscribing long term to four or five different ones.

I also wonder if this drives more people to piracy.
__________________
"No music before Oh Canada, no music after. Just angry red wall of hate."
-Bingo
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:54 AM   #871
Wormius
Franchise Player
 
Wormius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Somewhere down the crazy river.
Exp:
Default

I have been feeling this too. The content in Canada really is subpar. When I was traveling I got the opportunity to see what was available abroad, and it was actually really good. New season of Rick and Morty, Anne with an E, etc.

I wish it were possible to region switch again. Would make Netflix infinitely better.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:58 AM   #872
nfotiu
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Virginia
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman90 View Post
One could say the same today. If I an Universal Studios, or Sony Pictures, or MGM why would I stay with Netflix and not do my own streaming service?

I don't think the average consumer wants to subscribe to each channel/content provider's service separately and then remember what is where, or open one app, browse, close it, open another, etc.

For sure there will be some people - like the majority of CP members - who would subscribe to SportsNet at full price and stand alone, because we are sports fans. But many people who watch the occasional game might not, but would take it if it was included with ABC/NBC/CBC which they want to watch their primetime TV shows - for the extra few bucks they can watch the game when they get the urge.

The average CP fan might want to get TSN,SportsNet, Fox Sports, etc. But they might not be willing to pay full price for say the Gameshow Network, or TLC. So the same kind of package would apply here.
I imagine what we'll see is variious apps like say Discovery/Scripps that offer cheap or free ad supported versions and $5-10 ad free options. The big conglomerates that have the expensive channels (Disney/ESPN, Fox, NBCUniversal, etc.) will do the same where they bundle their own properties for $10-15 ad-free/cheaper with ads.

Apple TV and Amazon Fire TV both already do a decent job of letting you go directly to a show from their main menu regardless of what app it is on.

I currently am on Directv Now IPTV, which saved a lot of money over regular Directv. With that, I get access to all the various TV network apps. But it's hard to see the value that Directv Now provides over the various apps which are becoming more and more consistent. I would be surprised if these services survive past the point of reach mass market.

Disney/ESPN are going to be in for a huge correction though as this all plays out. I think enough people value ESPN to make it viable once it basically become a la carte. But their revenue is going to take at least a 50-75% hit when people are no longer forced to pay $15/month for them.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:29 AM   #873
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: May 2006
Exp:
Default

Netflix is definitely losing its appeal. While I like their original programming, the big appeal to me has always been the back catalogue of TV shows and movies. These days, I'd say Crave actually has them beat on the TV catalogue front. Netflix is rapidly on it's way to becoming just a bigger HBO.

I've been a staunch opponent of piracy since forever. But if the digital media environment gets fragmented so much that I need to pay for six different services at $90 a month just to get a decent breadth of content, I may well consider the pirating route. And once people like me switch to piracy, the content providers are hooped.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
If this day gets you riled up, you obviously aren't numb to the disappointment yet to be a real fan.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2017, 09:49 AM   #874
nfotiu
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Virginia
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Netflix is definitely losing its appeal. While I like their original programming, the big appeal to me has always been the back catalogue of TV shows and movies. These days, I'd say Crave actually has them beat on the TV catalogue front. Netflix is rapidly on it's way to becoming just a bigger HBO.

I've been a staunch opponent of piracy since forever. But if the digital media environment gets fragmented so much that I need to pay for six different services at $90 a month just to get a decent breadth of content, I may well consider the pirating route. And once people like me switch to piracy, the content providers are hooped.
If my bill remained the same, and I had less channels, but all my money went to the shows I watched, I'd be happy. $90 seems high though. I only watch scripted shows from HBO, AMC, and NEtflix it seems. I'd imagine you could get those 3 for $30 easily, I'm sure. I'd imagine there will be a cheap option for stuff I watch that don't care enough to pay for like Discovery shows. That leaves sports that you should be able to get for no more than $20 a month.

$50/month seems realistic for most people, I'd think. And that should be $50 all in. No $10/month per tv, $20/month for dvr, $8/month is stupid fees, that always send most cable bills over $100.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 05:09 PM   #875
Rathji
Franchise Player
 
Rathji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Supporting Urban Sprawl
Exp:
Default

I just ordered some new equipment to stream/record OTA onto Plex.

Can't wait for it to arrive!
__________________
"Wake up, Luigi! The only time plumbers sleep on the job is when we're working by the hour."
Rathji is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rathji For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:16 PM.

Calgary Flames
2017-18




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016