Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2018, 09:08 AM   #41
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

I believe we got a softer, more mellowed Hartley here in Calgary than the Hartley these players are complaining about.

I think leaving the NHL and coaching in Europe changed him a bit. I was not happy about the hire originally because he was such a spazzy freak. He didn't show that side publicly in Calgary anyways.

I do think he ran Baertschi out of town by never putting him in a position to succeed. I also believe he tried to do the same with Backlund but Backlund was able to work through it and finally gain some traction with Hartley in that final year with Bob as the coach.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:11 AM   #42
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

for me, the warm fuzzies of his media scrums and lucky playoff run are outweighed by the Flames receiving 3 of their highest draft picks in team history under his tenure. but then again, where would the Flames be today if we didn't have Monahan, Bennett and Tkachuk on the roster...so thanks I guess, Bob the Builder?
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2018, 09:13 AM   #43
jaikorven
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
for me, the warm fuzzies of his media scrums and lucky playoff run are outweighed by the Flames receiving 3 of their highest draft picks in team history under his tenure. but then again, where would the Flames be today if we didn't have Monahan, Bennett and Tkachuk on the roster...so thanks I guess, Bob the Builder?
Thanked for 'Bob the Builder'...love that!
jaikorven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:16 AM   #44
Pointman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
And other players in the league get paid millions to not play for Hartley.

Why put your own players in such a negative position that other players were putting "whichever team Bob Hartley coaches" on their no trade lists?

This is the guy that ran Baertschi and almost Backlund out of town.

He fluked out for one season where the team's underlying numbers were just as poor the two seasons prior and the one season after.

He was an awful coach and numerous sources are saying he's an even worse person
If all he had was those 4 seasons with the Flames, I could buy the "fluke" argument. But given Hartley's overall track record and Stanley Cup, I lean towards him being better than an awful coach. He clearly has strong ideas about how his team should play and how he is supposed to prepare his players. I mean it's not like he was lost out there having no clue what to do. And his ways, though probably flawed, did result in some wins both here and with the Avalanche.
Pointman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pointman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2018, 09:19 AM   #45
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sample00 View Post
Hrudey mentions in his book that he was chatting with some Flames players and they said Hartley felt that even one drink would lead to alcoholism and that they werent allowed to drink.
People need to keep things like this in mind when they discuss the Superbowl incident, and attempt to imply that Gaudreau, Monahan and Bouma may have an attitude problem.

None of us are in the room, so we can't know the facts or how things actually transpired. And this type of stuff should remind us that we should not be drawing any conclusions about the players from incidents like that because we don't know the whole story.

Did Hartley freak out because it was a huge problem and the tip of the iceberg? Or did he freak out because he is somewhat irrational on the subject? Or (likely), something in between?

We can't know, so be careful before judging or commenting is all I'm saying.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2018, 09:20 AM   #46
BigFlameDog
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
Sutter is about as well loved by a lot of his ex-players. Ask the Kings if they miss him.
At least they have Stanley Cup rings to help them feel better.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:21 AM   #47
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
Sutter is about as well loved by a lot of his ex-players. Ask the Kings if they miss him.
Sutter was a hardass too, but players respect him.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2018, 09:26 AM   #48
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kind of like Bowman in the 70's, tougher to do that now. Hrudey didn't speak well of him in his book, either. The constant negativity is too much.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:27 AM   #49
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Part of a coaches job is to learn from their players, but the biggest thing is to build trust amoungst each player. Trust that they will do their job & support is each other positionally on the ice. It’s the coaches job to hold players accountable to these standards towards each other. Respect & trust are fragile & a two way street.

Hartley wasted too much of his bank account of trust & respect on the petty insignificant stuff. In a way it’s like parenting, you can take the easy way out a few times, then eventually you’re just a guy who yells a lot.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:29 AM   #50
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsInMyBlood View Post
I believe we got a softer, more mellowed Hartley here in Calgary than the Hartley these players are complaining about...
Sarich only ever played for Hartley in his first season coaching in Calgary, which was after his return from Switzerland to the NHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:40 AM   #51
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Tanguay thought Hartley was hard, but also gave him a lot of credit for making him a better player. He called Hartley for advice often.
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:41 AM   #52
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

As a fan, I don't really care if my team's players like their coach as long as he's getting results. You don't survive in the NHL by being everyone's friend. It's all about results. Sure you can make a case that the means don't justify the end, but "he was mean to me" is pretty tame, IMO.

With all the people fixated on running Baertschi out of town, which I think is dubious at best. Who here can argue that Hartley likely saved Ferland's career by helping him get on the wagon?

We're seriously oversimplifying the man here. It also sounds like Hartley's main issue with Sarich was his drinking, so maybe Sarich can take some personal responsibility there.
cannon7 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to cannon7 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2018, 09:48 AM   #53
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Such a great listen and insight to a multitude of topics. I think Sarich has some potential in the broadcast realm. Would be great if he gets some more on air experience, so that he can eventually become the Flames backup colour analyst for the broadcasts with Rick Ball when Hrudey isnt avail. A colour analyst should have pro hockey(NHL) experience. Give him some experience and get him on air more.
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to soulchoice For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2018, 10:07 AM   #54
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Sounds like a real porcupine..
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:07 AM   #55
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

2014-15 was the funnest season since 2004. So Hartley gets a pass from me.

All coaches have a shelf life, and Hartley's was realized. Life goes on.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:09 AM   #56
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph View Post
Obligatory...

Just need someone to photoshop Hartley’s face onto Marleau’s corpse.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:24 AM   #57
automaton 3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post

He was an awful coach and numerous sources are saying he's an even worse person.
Hartley won championships in the CHL, AHL and NHL and the Swiss League. You don't do that if you are a bad coach.

But there is no doubt that his style of coaching has a shelf life.
automaton 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to automaton 3 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2018, 10:25 AM   #58
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Hartley was a truly horrendous coach who the Flames are finally recovering from. Couldn't be happier that he and his horrible systems are gone.
TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2018, 10:28 AM   #59
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes he did not use David Jones enough.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:32 AM   #60
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsInMyBlood View Post
I believe we got a softer, more mellowed Hartley here in Calgary than the Hartley these players are complaining about.

I think leaving the NHL and coaching in Europe changed him a bit. I was not happy about the hire originally because he was such a spazzy freak. He didn't show that side publicly in Calgary anyways.

I do think he ran Baertschi out of town by never putting him in a position to succeed. I also believe he tried to do the same with Backlund but Backlund was able to work through it and finally gain some traction with Hartley in that final year with Bob as the coach.
Don't agree on the Baertschi stuff. Baertschi ran himself out of town. He'll always be a player with poor defensive play that hovers around .5 PPG. He'll have a hot streak here or there, but he would never have had a spot in Calgary.

He's not good enough for the first line. Too defensively irresponsible for the the second line. He doesn't succeed in a bottom 6 role.

Maybe the Flames could have showcased him and got a slightly better package back, but 25 year old Baertschi is not some superstar we missed out on. I wouldn't be surprised to see him back in Europe in a couple of years. He's realistically one bad season away from that.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post: